Paint for Pick Axe

Surveyor

I must be getting close to finishing to ask this question, what colour, if any, was the pick axe painted which goes on the back of the Land Rover, mine is 1986.

Also the handle appears to be in several colours was there a standard?

Thanks in anticipation

I have no doubt that handles were painted in various colours in-service.

However it was pointed out to me by a veteran that in their unit (Para Sqn RAC) such a practice was strictly forbidden, not only was it a waste of time but using it would rapidly cause blisters. So they were always kept 'au naturelle'.

I have no doubt that handles were painted in various colours in-service.

However it was pointed out to me by a veteran that in their unit (Para Sqn RAC) such a practice was strictly forbidden, not only was it a waste of time but using it would rapidly cause blisters. So they were always kept 'au naturelle'.

I can understand that paint would hide defects as well

http://slickpic.us/1435046NkTx

Job lot of 10 qty. 8 were painted (NATE green , possibly odd one with earlier coat of DBG , 2 were probably unissued as virgin helves (these I left in the buff after a light sand to clean up but leave the Cat. No.s.) The remainder - I stripped off the paint and Rustin's 'Danish' oiled them.

Your gardening tools - if left on the tailgate - you need a min. of a few nylon tie-wraps discreeted. Some even through-bolt them by drilling holes through their tail-gate. Although a local to me had his tools always on his Rover 1 tailgate with only normal web straps & wing-nut, when observed almost every week in supermarket car park - I always noted this and amazed he was still in possession.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

http://slickpic.us/1435046NkTx

Job lot of 10 qty. 8 were painted (NATE green , possibly odd one with earlier coat of DBG , 2 were probably unissued as virgin helves (these I left in the buff after a light sand to clean up but leave the Cat. No.s.) The remainder - I stripped off the paint and Rustin's 'Danish' oiled them.

Your gardening tools - if left on the tailgate - you need a min. of a few nylon tie-wraps discreeted. Some even through-bolt them by drilling holes through their tail-gate. Although a local to me had his tools always on his Rover 1 tailgate with only normal web straps & wing-nut, when observed almost every week in supermarket car park - I always noted this and amazed he was still in possession.

I wasn't intending to leave them on the vehicle unattended but thanks for this, will have a think if at shows etc.

• 5 years later...

My experience of vehicle handle mattocks, pick heads and shovels has been:  the handle if new is unpainted and the pick head is black, the shovel depends on its age/type so pretty much anything pre 1990 varies between all green or green handle and black head  and anything 1990 to date is green head plain would handle with some kind of clear satin/gloss coat on it.

Many of either tool have a multitude of coats of paint in mostly green but sometimes black or sand from over the years where they've either been repainted by hand or more often than not left strapped to the vehicle bonnet when its gone through a spray bay for a repaint.