Solex Carburetor - Bedford QL

mark4974

Hi folks,

Another question regarding my QL.

It is fitted with a Solex RZFAIPO carburetor which has another number stamped underneath it, this being LJ57. I have a spare Carburetor and this has LK52 stamped on it.

Does anybody know if these numbers mean anything important or are they like a batch or casting number?

Thanks, Mark

Hi folks,

Another question regarding my QL.

It is fitted with a Solex RZFAIPO carburetor which has another number stamped underneath it, this being LJ57. I have a spare Carburetor and this has LK52 stamped on it.

Does anybody know if these numbers mean anything important or are they like a batch or casting number?

Thanks, Mark

There's nothing listed on those codes in the instruction book for the carb.

That said, these carbs do come in different configurations, so you'll need to give it a good look-over before assuming it's identical. The governor is also pre-set, so I'd imagine it may need adjustment if it was intended for a different vehicle.

Per the QL maintenance manual, you're looking for 35RZFAIPO with:

29mm choke.

135 main jet

165 correction jet

60 slow running jet

200 starter jet

150 slow running jet air bleed

85 pump jet

2mm needle jet

If you need instructions on setting the governor, let me know.

I'd imagine the number you are looking at could relate to a particular setup or intended vehicle, but I don't know for sure.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply.

I know nothing about Carburetors and hate setting them up. I have 3 that came with the truck. The one that was fitted, one used and one new one.

I was planning on putting the new one on but welcome any advice. Would it still be wise to overhaul it (I have a new kit) and any guidance on setting it up. I always seem to wing it and hope for the best 😬

Thanks, Mark

Just a warning. The same carburettor fits a Ford V8 as well as a Bedford, but all the jet sizes are different. Make sure you have the correct one for your Bedford with the right jets.

Thanks for your reply.

I know nothing about Carburetors and hate setting them up. I have 3 that came with the truck. The one that was fitted, one used and one new one.

I was planning on putting the new one on but welcome any advice. Would it still be wise to overhaul it (I have a new kit) and any guidance on setting it up. I always seem to wing it and hope for the best

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

The carb on the QL has fixed jets, so the only setting up you need to do is the idle mixture and tickover speed - even the governor is pre-set. If the engine ran ok on your old carb it should run fine if you re-fit it. If you fit the new one, just set the idle mixture by trial and error then adjust the tickover and away you go.

Regards,

Mike.

Just a warning. The same carburettor fits a Ford V8 as well as a Bedford, but all the jet sizes are different. Make sure you have the correct one for your Bedford with the right jets.

Robert,

The British Ford V8 was fitted with the 40RZFAIPO carb, and the Bedford had the 35RZFAIPO carb, different choke tube sizes (ie 40mm and 35mm for aforementioned carbs), not the same carb.

Correction ..... it was the Ford WOT1 crash tender that had the 40RZFAIPO, the WOA1 and other WOT models had the 35RZFAIPO

Edited by Richard Farrant
added words.

I think that there is a slight difference between Bedford MW and QL carburettor but it is only around the fitting and engagement of the choke. I bought a new carb for my QL but had to use some parts from the choke system of the old QL carburettor.

Guy.

I'm fairly certain the the 35RZFAIPO came in different configurations for different vehicles (not just Bedford).

40RZFAIPO as others have said, is for the Ford V8 (and possibly others as well).

The jets are accessible from the outside of the carb, without need to strip it down.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's a Solex instruction book called "Self-starting Solex Carburettor 35 & 40 RZFAIP downdraught governor type with accelerating device instruction booklet", this covers tuning. There's also some coverage in "British Solex Carburettors" published by Speedsport Motorbooks which is easier to find (out of print, but second hand). This indicates that the O in RZFAIPO indicates a zero starter, though I'm afraid I don't know what that means in practice.

Otherwise just go with the Bedford manual :)

Unfortunately none of the info I've found lists what the other stamped in letters and numbers mean (or which relate to what vehicles or configuration).

Edited by Lauren Child

I'm fairly certain the the 35RZFAIPO came in different configurations for different vehicles (not just Bedford).

40RZFAIPO as others have said, is for the Ford V8 (and possibly others as well).

The jets are accessible from the outside of the carb, without need to strip it down.

If you're feeling adventurous, there's a Solex instruction book called "Self-starting Solex Carburettor 35 & 40 RZFAIP downdraught governor type with accelerating device instruction booklet", this covers tuning. There's also some coverage in "British Solex Carburettors" published by Speedsport Motorbooks which is easier to find (out of print, but second hand). This indicates that the O in RZFAIPO indicates a zero starter, though I'm afraid I don't know what that means in practice.

Otherwise just go with the Bedford manual :)

Unfortunately none of the info I've found lists what the other stamped in letters and numbers mean (or which relate to what vehicles or configuration).

Lauren,

You are referring to a specific model of Solex carb, the 35RZFAIPO, there are only a small number of vehicle types use this particular specification and they would have jets to suit as well as a variation on the fixing for the Zero Starter cable.

Vehicles this one was fitted to were;

Bedford MW, OX, OY and QL

Austin 3 ton 6x4

Ford WOA1 and WOT range

there may be others, but not show in in Vocab.

As for the 40RZFAIPO, that was fitted to the Austin K5, Dennis tipper and Albion BY5 and FT11

The letters each denote a feature of the particular carb and some engines will have a different combination of letters to others.

To take an example of 35RZFAIPO

35 denotes choke tube size (this is nothing to do with choke as in starting, it is the venturi so to speak.

R Governor assembly incorporated in throttle tube

Z Dustproof

F Generic term relating to diecast carb.

A Bi-starter

I Downdraught

P Pump accelerating device discharging straight into choke tube

O Zero Starter

You questioned Zero Starter, this is a device on the side of the carb with a disc valve in it operated by what you might call the cold starter cable ('choke'). It works with closed throttle.

Lauren,

You are referring to a specific model of Solex carb, the 35RZFAIPO, there are only a small number of vehicle types use this particular specification and they would have jets to suit as well as a variation on the fixing for the Zero Starter cable.

Vehicles this one was fitted to were;

Bedford MW, OX, OY and QL

Austin 3 ton 6x4

Ford WOA1 and WOT range

there may be others, but not show in in Vocab.

As for the 40RZFAIPO, that was fitted to the Austin K5, Dennis tipper and Albion BY5 and FT11

The letters each denote a feature of the particular carb and some engines will have a different combination of letters to others.

To take an example of 35RZFAIPO

35 denotes choke tube size (this is nothing to do with choke as in starting, it is the venturi so to speak.

R Governor assembly incorporated in throttle tube

Z Dustproof

F Generic term relating to diecast carb.

A Bi-starter

I Downdraught

P Pump accelerating device discharging straight into choke tube

O Zero Starter

You questioned Zero Starter, this is a device on the side of the carb with a disc valve in it operated by what you might call the cold starter cable ('choke'). It works with closed throttle.

wow, thanks Richard - that answers a whole load of questions :D

• 2 years later...