Bedford MWD restoration

Had a few minutes to spare at work yesterday and managed to cut out the vents apertures

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122949[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122951[/ATTACH]

Need to form the top edge next then the mesh.

Be careful Jez ...the Boss might see this !!! :cool2:

Today I have been mainly beating the engine panels into shape :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123021[/ATTACH]

Made the hooks and things first.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123022[/ATTACH]

Then the top edge which I will joggle tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123025[/ATTACH]

I also made some countersunk bolts used to fix the tool box to the rear cross member on the MW.

I spy military motorcycle parts !!! :cool2:

Yes a couple of folding oil cans :-D Few more hours spent down't shed

100_6438.jpg

Finally managed to fit the tool bin.

100_6437.jpg

100_6441.jpg

100_6442.jpg

And the securing strap for the water or fuel can.

100_6443.jpg

Then ran out of time again regarding the engine panels though the joggled edge along the top edge is sorted .

Edited by rampant rivet

Jeremy,

I love the engine side panels and tool boxes...really nicely done! You have come a long way with your restoration.

Am making some rifle butt holders at the mo and can make more depending on interest

I wonder if these are the same as the ones used on the CMPs(?). I was looking at making a set for my Chev soon, but it's the inside that has been puzzeling me...as the flat part where the rear of the rifle sits on, is slightly sloped to match the rear of the rifle.

But anyway, if the design is the same, than I am definately interested in a set of 2.

Alex

Edited by Alex van de Wetering

Hi Alex thanks for the kind words as it's probably my last long term restoration so I'm making it the best I can, plus I hope to keep the MW for a long time.

Yes the rifle stock holders are the same and yes the inside of the rifle holder is angled and now the blanks have been made I need to work out how to do it :cool2: will post some pics when I get time to work on them.

Jeremy,

I didn't want to "dump" the question on you if the CMP holders are the same.....but I just couldn't find the drawing fast enough :-D. But, good to hear they are the same....so I am definately interested if you are making a small series.

Here is one of the threads on MLU, showing how others made the rifle butts: (not that you are a novice working with wood....;))http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?p=193447

regards,

Alex

Bl**dy cold down't shed today with snow and sleet showers so the thermals were on !!

100_6447.jpg

Sod the weather I wanted to push on with welding the fittings and mesh in position on the panels.

100_6445.jpg

100_6446.jpg

Finally they are sorted :-D

100_6448.jpg

Drivers side too :-D just a bit more finishing before paint.

100_6449.jpg

Even managed to find time to fit another mudguard.

Looking great .

Did you have the 7/8" timber boards milled somewhere ?

I guess that each of the 15cwt manufacturers made their own GS bodies to a common plan. I have one original wooden side GS body section from a Morris CS8 body , the same style of cast brass tag was used .

Had all new sub floor frame timbers made by my friendly joiners shop then assembled it myself, I can email you details if interested plus I have the floor board details

The sideboards were avaliable from my local timber suppliers from stock all I needed to do was run a chamfer on some of the edges and rip some down for width where necessary. As I had the original body sides etc they were a very usefull reference source and provided all the fittings and fixtures.

Bl**dy cold down't shed today with snow and sleet showers so the thermals were on !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123288[/ATTACH]

Sod the weather I wanted to push on with welding the fittings and mesh in position on the panels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123289[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123292[/ATTACH]

Finally they are sorted :-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123290[/ATTACH]

Drivers side too :-D just a bit more finishing before paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123291[/ATTACH]

Even managed to find time to fit another mudguard.

Thats a nice side panel you have there :P

Jeremy,

I want to convert the back of my MW to have bench seats made from scratch, ideally going over the wheel arch boxes. I want to pop the spare wheel in the centre of the rear cab behind the driver and have 2 jerry cans on the left. Do you have any reference for bench seats? or could you advise on how I should go about this please?

Could you suggest a good wood to use and what you would recommend as supports for the benches please?

Hi luke

Long time no hear :-D Yes made my own panels in the end as regards to bench seats, are you intending to carry passengers in the back of your truck ? as you may need to be carefull regarding the law and insurance I'm sure someone on here will know more than me on that issue, it might pay to post a question elsewhere on this issue.

As for timber do you just want slatted seats made out of 2x1 pse runners, a bit like airing cupboard shelving. That's probably the best and easiest way to go using European redwood from your local builders merchants,

Hi luke

Long time no hear :-D Yes made my own panels in the end as regards to bench seats, are you intending to carry passengers in the back of your truck ? as you may need to be carefull regarding the law and insurance I'm sure someone on here will know more than me on that issue, it might pay to post a question elsewhere on this issue.

As for timber do you just want slatted seats made out of 2x1 pse runners, a bit like airing cupboard shelving. That's probably the best and easiest way to go using European redwood from your local builders merchants,

Hi Jeremy,

Just for use at ww2 events, when the canvas is down if we're using the vehicle, wouldn't be for use to transport passengers on the road. I know the stuff you mean, will look into it thank you - the side panels you've made look great!

Thanks luke yes the panels turned out ok in the end, now I think about it I'm collecting B.E.F. kit to go with the truck and have a number of tin hats that I want to repaint to the original 39/40 colour, any idea what it should be ?
when we portrayed the 2nd Essex BEF we asked the same question and were told " a greeny browny baby poo", I will take a photo for you of what we went for and also what the remaining bef group uses.

Here are some pics of my 100% original 1939 dated Mk.II helmet. The colour seems to be a greenish-brown with a grey-ish green overpaint that reportedly is an army non-reflective coating. I have no idea when this coating was applied; the greenish hue is better visible on the photo of the chinstrap lug at the inside. Although these pics are made with a flash the colour seems to be a relatively good match compared to the actual helmet in hand. Remember this paint is almost 80 years old and well worn; it will have looked a bit different when fresh. :-D

Hope that helps a bit! ;)

935791d1455744432-mkii-mki-earlier-helmets-steel-british-commonwealth-show-yours-2016-02-17-22.11.04.jpg

935792d1455746415-mkii-mki-earlier-helmets-steel-british-commonwealth-show-yours-2016-02-17-21.59.48.jpg

935790d1455744426-mkii-mki-earlier-helmets-steel-british-commonwealth-show-yours-2016-02-17-22.00.15.jpg

Edited by earlymb

Thanks for the pics ,I searched through my collection of 30 odd helmets and have found one 39 dated example with the inside original paint still present that looks very similar in colour to your helmet, am going to see my paint supplier on Sat to mix some more of the good stuff for the MW so will ask if they will make up some spray cans of the baby pooish colour :-D

100_6453.jpg

100_6452.jpg

first two without flash

100_6450.jpg

100_6451.jpg

second two with.

Edited by rampant rivet

Today I have been mainly bashing the living daylights out of the rear wheel arches.

100_6457.jpg

NS rear wheel removed to allow inner wheel arch panel to be fitted.

100_6454.jpg

One end panel.

100_6456.jpg

End panel with bend.

100_6458.jpg

End panel temporarily fitted prior to paint , which reminds me that I managed to scoot up to Middletons in Gloucester first thing this morning to order another gal of the green stuff plus some touch up spray cans and left the slightly bemused staff with the tin helmet as a pattern for a couple of cans of baby pooey greenish paint will be interesting to see what a newly painted lid will look like.

Edited by rampant rivet