morris commercial cs8

Ausprey

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario

I got your email. I think you want me to measure the driver's foot well ?

I will try and measure it tomorrow sometime . I've had a bad day, surgery on my finger, a silly accident that happened while cleaning carpet !

cs8well.jpg

Mario

I got your email. I think you want me to measure the driver's foot well ?

I will try and measure it tomorrow sometime . I've had a bad day, surgery on my finger, a silly accident that happened while cleaning carpet !

HI Mike sorry to hear that , no not the driver foot well

The other photos you send me for the passenger

Side there is the autside plate missing I have attached

A photo with an arrow on this plate to show you which

Measurements I need but when you are ok with your finger thanks Mike

Hello Mike I did not know about that panel when you

Can some measurements pls thanks always

I just moved the chassis over to the driveway today. I am removing the engine and axles and taking the chassis to be sandblasted . I will measure the panel for you when I remove it . There is also a panel on the passenger side , this panel is shaped to go around the oil filter .

BTW I noticed the front axle wheel track or width is quite a bit wider that the rear axle track . I wonder why the designers or the WD did that ?

Pics .....................The engine is standard bore size . Some bore wear is evident . I do have a set of new pistons so I might go the whole rebuild ? We will see .

Mike I wish I lived near I can give you a hand , if it will be comfortable for you I need the measurement for the long tool box after the passinger foot well out of the petrol tank

When you are comfortable the.

I just moved the chassis over to the driveway today. I am removing the engine and axles and taking the chassis to be sandblasted . I will measure the panel for you when I remove it . There is also a panel on the passenger side , this panel is shaped to go around the oil filter .

BTW I noticed the front axle wheel track or width is quite a bit wider that the rear axle track . I wonder why the designers or the WD did that ?

Mike I think all the British ww2 veichel where like that

As Bedford , Austin the front wider then the rear maybe

For stability the Mike

my 1940 CS8 has a tin foot well, wooden planks up to it then thin tin with the well inside it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122228[/ATTACH]

Jules, I assume you plan to repair that frilly front mud wing? There is a slight risk of getting pulled for dangerous bodywork with it like that.

The CS8 aero screens had a little rubber bumber rest on the cowl . I found these on my 1939 CS8

This rubber buffer looks to be a fairly standard size and shape. You might get replacements from one of the truck coachbuilding supplies places such as Albert Jagger, or one of the places that does vintage vehicle body rubber parts.

Edit - in fact, Albert Jagger 2023/002 is not far off, though a little shorter and wider.

This seems to be quite common particularly on 4wd vehicles. The Austin K9 is significantly different - a good few inches at least. I once thought it might be to do with the driven front axle but it happens on 2wd vehicles as well, and anyway that doesn't explain it as the axle tubes and half shafts are different in any case.

It also occurs to me it might be that the rear track is narrowed deliberately (rather than the front widened) so that drop sides can drop fully without striking wheel or wheelarch while keeping the body within the overall width, but that's just a guess (and in fact I'm not sure is true for K9s, which are very wide at the front)

Alternatively it might be an attempt to make each wheel run in its own tracks to improve grip (another guess)?

Often there is an offset on the wheel nave plate so that the wheel can be fitted opposite ways round front and rear which goes some way towards evening out the track.

Edited by Sean N

Mario

Can you check the diameter of the king pins ? I think it is .925" , this is a unusual size. I believe that some 1950's Chevrolet trucks had the same size king pins .

Hi Mike the narrow part off the kingpin is 23.1 mm

The thick side is 29 mm

On the box there is cv 11/40

Mike John walker had king pins sett for sale for the cs8

If you need his address I have he is a very helpful guy

20170121_110011.jpg

Mario,

OK thanks for the king pin info . I think the CV 11/40 is a civilian model truck , it first appeared in late 1937 or 38 along with the other CV range of trucks . I have the Harry Edwards book here somewhere , I will check that . And, I thought the CS8 king pin has a straight pin , not stepped ? The 8 cwt PU does use a stepped king pin .

Yes I would like the contact details for John Walker .

When it comes time to work on your motor, be very careful when removing the coolant side cover. The old bolts are extremely fragile and heads snap off if you look at them too harshly . I t may be feasible to drill out the remains and tap to the next size up. BTW the bolts are 6mm nominal OD . You do know that these engines have metric threads in them ????

When it comes time to work on your motor, be very careful when removing the coolant side cover. The old bolts are extremely fragile and heads snap off if you look at them too harshly . I t may be feasible to drill out the remains and tap to the next size up. BTW the bolts are 6mm nominal OD . You do know that these engines have metric threads in them ????

Hi Mike I have already tried to get them out but all snapped

Except 2 even I heated them with the Berner still they

Snapped the for the advice. Mike do you any one that have a cs8 compressed I need the donations for the battery box

Under the driver side Nicolas Sawyer send me some good photos I wold like to say big thanks, but I need some measurements pls any one have is appriciatod.