Mystery item(2)

Willyslancs

It is most definitley originally design to be attached to a saddle. The D's and position of the buckles etc prove that. I was hoping the G was ornate, as that is the trade mark of W. A. Goold. Nice and simple. The leaer looks to be a top quality vegtable tan, but the big brass fittings aren't typical of English saddlery.Are those screws in the front?

It is most definitley originally design to be attached to a saddle. The D's and position of the buckles etc prove that. I was hoping the G was ornate, as that is the trade mark of W. A. Goold. Nice and simple. The leaer looks to be a top quality vegtable tan, but the big brass fittings aren't typical of English saddlery.Are those screws in the front?

Rivets if i remember correctly mate (its round at my dads )......

It is a magasin bag, for Madsen machine gun, use by the Portuguese.

It was a danish company that exported weapons to a lot of countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madsen_machine_gun.

Normaly it should have a metal frame inside, in the top, that divides that in to five slots.

Doesnt look like anything in the pic mate ...

Looking at the construction, there are things that don't look quite right. The leather and fittings look to have been artifically aged.

Looking at it this afternoon mate , and it does look old , just not been used , dad has collected militaria /webbing since ww2 so he has a rough idea of things ......

The leather looks like pigskin. The veined apprance with distinct hair folicles. Very expensive leather, not normally used on military kit, you get very little of it per skin and tan. Sometimes cow leather is facked to make it look like pigskin. There is just something about the stiching dosen't look right. I've spent many years trusting my life to leather saddlery and fittings. It is just to fancy to be military, but not quite good enough to be a European leather.

Sorry But it is a magasin bag for Madsen.

I can take some pictures of my bag with magasin in

The Wiki link was just to show which weapon it was.

I found this picture on the net where it can be seen. there is also a One magasin bag.

They where a one point sold in denmark as trendy ladies handbag.

a lot of madsens guns and equipment surfaced a couple of years ago and much was sold at W&P.

A9659.jpg

Edited by Niels v

very rare - issued only to staff at one hospital. alledgedly.........

??? http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/military.php?cab=weapons

Quote"The Madsen was a light machine gun developed by Julius A. Rasmussen and Theodor Schoubue and proposed for adoption by Captain Vilhelm Herman Oluf Madsen, the Danish Minister of War and adopted by the Danish Army in 1902. It was one of the first true light machine guns produced in quantity and sold to over 34 different countries worldwide, seeing extensive combat use in various conflicts around the globe for over 80 years The Madsen was produced by Compagnie Madsen A/S (later operating as Dansk Rekyl Riffel Syndikat A/S and then Dansk Industri Syndikat A/S). The Madsen continued to be used by the Military Police of Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil, with 7.62 calibre. Although some of the Brazilian guns were captured from drug traffickers and pressed into service (mostly old weapons originating from the Argentine Army as well as some stolen from museums, the majority of Madsens used by the Brazilian police were donated by the Brazilian Army. Those guns were .30 cal weapons converted to fit 7.62 mm calibre. Official sources state that the Brazilian army retired the Madsen machine gun in 1996. The Brazilian police guns are, from 2008, being substituted by more modern guns with faster rates of fire. It was reported that the last Madsen guns were finally retired in April 2008. However, photos taken during clashes between Brazilian police and drug traffickers on October 19, 2009 clearly show the Madsen gun still in use by the Brazilian police This one is marked with Portuguese Crest and RP."