the restoration begins on the 969A

42 chevy

More cab pictures. The holes on the rear of the cab have een filled. The "A" pillars (the pillar that holds the door hinges) are almost done. Around 20 pounds of lead were removed from a previous repair where the roof joined the rear of the cab. New metal will be installed. We are going to make up studs so the the rear window guard can be removed to clean the window.

John G

IMG_20150223_170829_792.jpg

IMG_20150223_170845_507.jpg

IMG_20150223_170901_766.jpg

IMG_20150223_170917_024.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New patch panel was fabricated for the upper rear roof where it meets the rear cab panel. The seat base was repaired and test fitted. The under seat brace was straightened. Next is to repair the rear cab support crossmember.

John G

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Tom Warren who now owns the business "Diamond T rubber parts" will be manufacturing the rubber piece that goes on the bottom of the doors on the closed cab trucks. I am sending him a sample off of my truck, so hopefully, within a month they will be available.

John G

Another update;

The seat pan is in. Tabs fitted and repaired for the header panel. A assembly was fabricated to "box in" the header glove box, so I would not lose anything behind the header. Repairs where made to the doors. The mirror brackets were fixed and the rusty meal was removed from the bottom of the passenger door. New trim pieces were fabricated for the hinge pillar. So all that is left is to test fit the windshield frames and some touch up welding, then media blast the cab again, sealer primer apple and some body filler is on the list for next week.

John G

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It has been awhile ( a long while) since last posted, I keep getting distracted by other projects, however, a concentrated effort to move forward and finish the Diamond has commenced. Originally I planned to fill the seams with lead as was originally done, but after further thought I used a product called "Nu Metal" instead as I felt with my limited experience it would be easier to work with. The cab was painted with KBS Rustseal (in place of epoxy primer) then Nu Metal was placed over the repair seams, sanded, more Nu Metal added and sanded until I was happy with the contours. The doors were adjusted next and then removed. Then RAGE Extreme feather lite filler was skimmed over the surface, block sanded. This process was repeated several times (note to self, I would never cut it as a professional body man!!), then primer was applied, touch up done where needed. Next I will sand with 320 grit. The underside of the cabwill be painted with KBS undercoating.

More to follow.

John G

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get some free time today and was finally able to apply the undercoating, actually it is a product by UPOL, which is a truck bed liner, I had the KBS undercoating product but did not have the proper applicator gun to use it, so I used the UPOL product which I had used to coat the underside of the wrecker bed on the truck. I found a 3M product, a sound deadener in which the pattern closely resembles the pattern of the original sound deadener. Pictures attached.

John G

20161211_192803.jpg

20161211_192834.jpg

20161211_192916.jpg

20161211_192924.jpg

20161211_193000.jpg

20161211_192944.jpg

More detail work completed, actually, I am off on the time line as this was done before I started working on the cab. The trim piece was put around the base of the steering column. As Diamond T owners know, this piece has to be put on before the steering column is attached to the dash. When I got my truck, a field modification had be done to my truck to remove it without taking out/ loosening up the column. I got an original from one of my part trucks. I made a slit in it to get it around the column,, installed a new leather piece and Sam in AU made the new brackets to hold the leather in place. I screwed the brackets on, originally they were tacked welded. This was all done to assist in removal in the future should the need arise. Sam also made new the felts for the clutch and brake pedals, you can just see them behind the trim piece.

I installed a 3 inch exhaust post muffler and added an aftermarket muffler that closely resembles the size of the original one as I did not want to ruin my original one. The 3 inch tailpipe really wakes up the engine as it is less restrictive then the factory 2 inch pipe. Why this was originally done is a mystery as the Autocar has a larger muffler and a 3 inch tailpipe from the factory. I had a local muffler shop bend the tailpipe to my specifications. I must say I am very pleased with the end result and the truck has a nice bark.

I finally got the correct line fittings to hook up my viscosity meter gauge and it works, it makes a nice conversation piece.

Pictured attached

John G

20161017_205645.jpg

20161017_205759.jpg

20161001_194314.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last Sunday was a major milestone in the refurbishments of the 969A, we reinstalled the cab. Using factory photos as a reference, the cowl was installed first and then the cab was lowered and attached to the cowl. If I was going to do this job again, I would attach both pieces together before placing them on the chassis.

Getting excited about the big day.

FB_IMG_1485013604704.jpg

Now it is time to finish trimming out the interior. I used a product called DYNAMAT Extreme on the floor area under the seats and a product called LIZARD SKIn on the interior cab roof to take some of the "tineness" out of the cab. I used a product called RAPTOR bedliner first and then placed the Dynamat on top of it. All joints were "seamsealed" as they were never sealed from the factory as far as I can tell.

Take notice of the fire extinguisher mounting, When I removed it to paint there was OD paint on the panel beneath it, so I put it back that way!

20170117_203559.jpg

20170120_223101.jpg

Seats were installed, canvas is from ALLIED FOROCES.

All rubber products in the cab came from Diamond T Rubber company (Tom Warren in Texas), the headliner which will be installed soon was also sourced from him.

20170120_223043.jpg

20170117_204609.jpg

• 5 months later...