Is it WW2 or World War Two?

Jack

The 'War' was 1914/18 during the 1920's it became known as the 'Great War' when conflict broke out in 1939 it was the 'Second War' during this time the 'Great War' became the 'First World War' it was in 1945 that the 'Second War' became the 'Second World War' in UK, 'World War Two' in U.S.A., who then also adopted 'World war One' WW1 WW2 are acepted abrivations. I mean what's complicated about that? :whistle:

Imagine us Italians fighting three wars in one:

1940-1943 With the Germans and Japanes against The Rest Of The World

1943-1945 Southern Italy pretending to fight together with The Rest Of The World against the Germans

1943-1945 Northern Italy pretending to fight together with the Germans against The Rest Of The World...

Andrea

I'm assuming this is a correct nomenclature question. World War 2; World War Two and World War II (with Roman numerals) are fine - but please not World War 11, which is a nightmare prospect. Second World War is also fine and is more British. In the UK, the use of World War 2; which is an Americanism, has more or less beaten off Second World War.

The First World War; 1st World War; World War 1; World War One - always sounds and looks much better as the Great War. That is what it was to the men who fought it. The sequel is a wholly different matter.

MB

Just to muddy the waters, don't forget that the Russians refer to it as "The Great Patriotic War"

Not strictly true. The names for it changed with progressive regimes and regionally. The Great Patriotic War tag is not dissimilar in terms of usage to Wermacht for the German army of WW2, which was always the Heer, and still is.

The bigger question, when you've prepared the coffee and biscuits, is whether any of this matters. For written style the forum it does not. In the magazine/review bit at the front it does. One house style is essential.

This I was taught at journo school twenty-eight years ago.

:-D

Not strictly true. The names for it changed with progressive regimes and regionally. The Great Patriotic War tag is not dissimilar in terms of usage to Wermacht for the German army of WW2, which was always the Heer, and still is.

The bigger question, when you've prepared the coffee and biscuits, is whether any of this matters. For written style the forum it does not. In the magazine/review bit at the front it does. One house style is essential.

This I was taught at journo school twenty-eight years ago.

:-D

From the man who jumped all over me and made me write out numbers! :shake:

:box:

Have I hurt your feelings, TB? I am confused. I am happy to use an abbreviation WW2 in a forum setting; but being a effing know-all, I try to be consistent in other matters wordish in the reviews and stuff because I'm not much good at anything else - (pens, yes, spanners, no). It inflates my importance and makes up for a lack of planks. Might explain why :-D

:box:

Have I hurt your feelings, TB? I am confused. I am happy to use an abbreviation WW2 in a forum setting; but being a effing know-all, I try to be consistent in other matters wordish in the reviews and stuff because I'm not much good at anything else - (pens, yes, spanners, no). It inflates my importance and makes up for a lack of planks. Might explain why :-D

No hard feelings :-D keeps me on the literary staright and narrow.

(About the spell checker AGAIN!)