Two Radar Trailers in Wood.

6 X 6

If anyone wants to know the background to this thread please read Posts 21-

25 on the Albion CX22 thread.

Today I revisited a old, very overgrown WD surplus yard where, some years ago, I saw two radar trailers of the type that Ack Ack is currently restoring. I was hoping they would still be there and possibly of some use to Ack Ack. Sadly, in spite of my very best efforts I was unable to penetrate the incredibly dense brambles and reach the place where remember seeing these trailers. The photographs on this post were all taken today in a more accessible part of the yard where the newer stuff is. I'm sorry if it's hard to make out what's in these 'photos, I had laid on an Agent Orange air strike but as you will see they missed the target by miles and instead erased a shopping mall in Swindon.

Are these radar trailers still there ? From what I could see I think they possibly are but they would now be in such a poor state that I doubt if they would be much use in any restoration project. A return visit in the winter might be a good idea so in the meantime I'm going to explain where this place is to Ack Ack, (and only Ack Ack), and let him decide what to do.

DSCF0295.jpg

X

DSCF0290.jpg

X

DSCF0289.jpg

X

DSCF0282.jpg

X

DSCF0280.jpg

X

DSCF0278.jpg

X

DSCF0277.jpg

X

DSCF0279.jpg

Wow there's some nice stuff in there...

A WC56 (or whats left of it)

and a T20 Fergie (last pic)

Wouldn't mind finding that lot at the bottom of the garden

Aha! A WC56, I was wondering what that truck was.

It was the rear bulkhead that confused me, obviously a later addition in galvanised but nicely done by the look of it.

And a Series One Land Rover. Yards like this are becoming rare with the high price of scrap,it would be nice if only the WC-56 and Series One could be saved.

There is a yard near me with a lot of pre 60's gear,including a Rolls Royce V12 engine(no it's not a Merlin,I have checked......

• 2 weeks later...