WW2 plane crashes in Dorset...

Jack

Some wonderful work around the web and it is so good that people put so much of their time into bringing this sort of information to the rest of the world.

This one may be of interest to the Dorset members and beyond.

http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/dorset/dorcrash.html

I would like to find out more about the Winfrith Heath Decoy Airfield, anyone fancy a convoy out sometime this year>

Cheers.

Jack.

• 18 years later...

Hi Jack

The decoy Q airfield for RAF Warmwell was at Knighton (Military GR 141/245074, NGR SY 812866) but the site is now covered by the defunct nuclear power station (being de-commissioned) and the Dorset Police HQ. Access to the latter area would be difficult, as could the chances of finding anything decoy-related.

I have researched the Dorset History Centre archives but they have nothing on the decoy (Oh, what a surprise! - their records are terrible!) and the only hard reference I have is in Colin Dobinson's tome 'Bombing Decoys of WW2'.

If you would like to visit, as I am at Bere Regis (not a million miles from Warmwell) and would love to participate in a 'ramble', but whereabouts in the world are you?

Best regards

Paul Doyle

(author & researcher, owner of Forward Airfield Research Publishing)