DR,s at Goodwood Revival 19-21 Sept.

If you are a Petrol Head, you will have heard of the Goodwood Revival Nr Chichester....a celebration of yesteryear motorsport...where everything is retro...set in the 40,s 50,s and 60,s...

It is now a world famous event, bringing in spectators and entrants from all over...

A few WW2 military vehicles help set the scene...i saw a few Jeeps floating about last year.For the first time in 2007 a DR camp was set up with about 12 bikes on display,,in a DR section encampment..bikes in bits, spares etc..a great little diarama..

This year we will have a larger encampment...the same DR section, maintenence going on. etc plus a radio section. to be part of Goodwood ..you have to be invited...so we are honoured to be there.

So if you are at Goodwood, come and say hello...and by the way there are a gaggle of Spitfires , Mustangs etc taking off every (it seems ) 5 minutes to add to the attraction.

Check out the Goodwood website.....tickets by advance sales only... Ed Abbott

If it's Sixties as well - I could take the Stalwart next year!! :)

On the first two meetings, I was one of those invited, the inaurgral one was something special, with a wartime theme for the Saturday evening party held by Lord March in the hangar. Guests arrived in a carpark outside the circuit, where a marquee reception supplied them with champers in tin mugs. From there, we ferried them in our vehicles onto the circuit and to the hanger. On my first trip, crossing the runway, two Spitfires, one flown by Ray Hanna buzzed us.......very low. A lot of notable people from racing were there, and one of my passengers was Eddie Jordan, FI team owner.

To get to your post, Neil, I think the cut off date for vehicles is the year of the last race meeting at the circuit, which off hand I think was 1965 or thereabouts.

On the first two meetings, I was one of those invited, the inaurgral one was something special, with a wartime theme for the Saturday evening party held by Lord March in the hangar. Guests arrived in a carpark outside the circuit, where a marquee reception supplied them with champers in tin mugs. From there, we ferried them in our vehicles onto the circuit and to the hanger. On my first trip, crossing the runway, two Spitfires, one flown by Ray Hanna buzzed us.......very low. A lot of notable people from racing were there, and one of my passengers was Eddie Jordan, FI team owner.

To get to your post, Neil, I think the cut off date for vehicles is the year of the last race meeting at the circuit, which off hand I think was 1965 or thereabouts.

Oh Rats!! Missed it by 4 years - mines a '69!!! :cry: :cry:

Will have to get the Saab Sport sorted then as thats a '63!

• 3 weeks later...

I too was there for the first one and ferried VIP's from the marquee reception area to the party area inside the circuit, part of the route to get there involved a section of the circuit so I can say that my GMC has been on the Goodwood circuit :rofl: one of the guests I transported was Murray Walker :-D:-D:-D:-D How cool......

We also got buzzed by the Spits and if I had stood on the truck roof I could have touched the damn things, they were that low, and the sound was something else, made me come out in goose bumps.

We also got buzzed by the Spits and if I had stood on the truck roof I could have touched the damn things, they were that low, and the sound was something else, made me come out in goose bumps.

Brilliant was'nt it? While we were waiting for the guests to arrive, the two Spits, took off into the sunset, looked for all the world like they were off on patrol. Little did we know, that we were to be buzzed. :)

One of the best things we have experienced, we will never forget it.

On the day before the VIP turned up, I got asked be an organiser if I knew someone with a truck, I said I had one. They needed a load of palm trees in pots about 5 feet tall, taken from the greenhouses to the marquee in the middle of the circuit, so the person jumped in my truck and we drove out of the grounds up the road, then up the main drive to the main house and then off round the corner to the greenhouses and loaded up the truck with palms and then took them back to the main marquee, how cool was that..............

To be there on the first time it was opened as well...:)

On the second year, they asked for transport to pick the staff up from Goodwood House and brought to the circuit for the Sat night ball. When we went up there wth our vehicles, we were sent around the side of the house where there was a petrol pump and each vehicle was given an alloted amount, I forget what it was. My Bedford was the largest vehicle and the staff member filling said to me, "I reckon yours uses a lot, does'nt it?", and I ended up with a double amount :thumbsup: