Chill out weekend evesham

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well it worked for me,i had a great wk end thanks to the people at this event.We had a three hour run up thro the Cotswolds some spectaculer scenary.The club house site is on land belonging to Bob James whos enthusiasm has helped,along with the members hard work to make an enviable club house site.

On arrival we were treated to tea etc and found ourselves camped next to Clive Elliot.It wasnt long before the cry went out,DAKOTA,and we were treated to a few low passes as it was between venues,this understandably took a lot of paperwork,so cheers to whoever was responsable for that.Also thanks to Paul for making us aware of the event on this forum and taking us under your wing whilst there.The event for me ranked along side the Bunker Bash so at least thats two events i havnt found things to moan about this year.No Helicopters (CIVILIAN) and petrol money for the rd run.well worth the long run up.

Edited by Marmite!!
Edit text size

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks to everyone for their welcome & courtesy shown to us out of area visitors. I travelled 95 miles, Nick Johns & CW travelled (independently) well over 100 miles each. Sorry no pictures (I didn't even take any pictures at W&P!) The camp seemed such a unique setup of clubhouse & facilities in a MV setting.

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend and pleased to have finally met some fellow HMVF people, Catweazle & Pat, Clive Elliot, Nick Johns & mikemids, so thanks for all making the effort to be a part of it.

The road run was the best one we've had yet, more suited to smaller vehicles about 15 came along, with a few stop offs on the way to see some other Stanton shelters near the one we salvaged, through various villages & a great track through a wood then down to Toddington Steam railway. Then we returned just in time to watch the Tigermoth land.

So here are a few pics for starters

View 1 from tower.jpg

View 2 from tower.jpg

View 3 from tower.jpg

Road run Stanton stop 1.jpg

Road run Stanton stop 2.jpg

Road run Cats Champ, Chipping C.jpg

Road run woods.jpg

Tigermoth landing.jpg

Tiger moth parked.jpg

Yes, a great w/e, thanks again to the organisers, Catweazle was there to relax following a disaster with one of his boats Cat diesels, and lo Champ decided to play up...nothing serious, leaking exhaust manifold.

I opted for the easier, and cheaper on fuel option and towed the Jeep there

general pics 219 (2).jpg

The road run stopped at an old ww2 camp site,there were a few shelters left,a few concrete bases,some we identified as the latrines.The shelters had room for about 50 people and were very dry.

eveshamrally020-1.jpg

eveshamrally019-1.jpg

eveshamrally021-1.jpg

eveshamrally018-1.jpg

eveshamrally017-1.jpg

Great pics chaps .

Don't suppose any of you can tell me where the DAF YA hails from - still trying to track down bits for ours - also trying to establish just how many there are over here .

thanks .

D

Hi i expect Paul (pappav66) will let you know.

That bottom photo is of a hearth, on which a metal pot bellied stove would sit. I have found several of them in the field hospital site.

Looks like a good event. Wish i could have made it.

Tim (too)

Top man Tim,thats what we thought,theres allways next year Tim great wk end.

For Snowtracdave re-DAF

Used to belong to local member Jim until a few months ago, so I've sent an email asking for contact details of new owner & will hopefully forward to you.

Have to say its a great truck, but didn't fit it with Jim's russian stuff so he sold it.

That bottom photo is of a hearth, on which a metal pot bellied stove would sit. I have found several of them in the field hospital site.

Looks like a good event. Wish i could have made it.

Tim (too)

Just to second what Tim has said here as this were used for the wood/coal burning stoves - there where used to stop burning through the floor and have these in place in the pilot barracks at Upottery.

Jack - you would be very welcome & I'd gladly show you round, next show will be over Easter, Paul

Many thanks Paul - reckon we need to 'work' this into our calenders. If Clive and CW attended then it must be good.

What dates have you got ( not Christian so don't know about easter:sweat:)

They certainly are influential characters, I'm pleased to of met them.

April 11, 12 & 13

Evesham Vintage Easter Gathering

or

August 7, 8, & 9

Evesham Vintage Rally

Both are family shows to include a mix of steam engines both full size & miniature, vintage & classic cars, motorbikes, commercials, agricultural bygones, trade stalls, fairground and of course a large military section, along with a decent sized arena. There is also a beer tent, refreshments and entertainment.

Chill Out Weekend, dates to be confirmed.

I'll post more details nearer the time.

Hope you can make it, cheers Paul

Many thanks Paul - reckon we need to 'work' this into our calenders. If Clive and CW attended then it must be good.

What dates have you got ( not Christian so don't know about easter:sweat:)

There is an initiation ceremoney,this involves wellington boots and sheep Jack:rofl: