1964 Thames Trader 4x4

snowtracdave

Is that the one with the rounded front down from windscreen and the liitle flat snout sticking out from the top of the round? There were a number of Lime spreaders built on that chassis.Were they part off or became part of Ford? AWD and County did a number of 4x4 conversions on Fords including Transits. The 4x4 Transit was used by DERA as trails support vehicles.

I can't lay my hands on it yet, but I'm certain there was a story about this very truck , mentioning its use as an army prototype/demonstrator, in one of the vintage commercial vehicle mags a few years back :confused:

Hi Tony,

Not seen that article, but just had a quick look at Bart's book on postwar military vehicles and he does remark about Ford/AWD conversions being made for military market for export. There is a Trader 75 /AWD 3 ton truck shown in service with South African forces, apparntly also used by Egypt and Indonesia.

The 4x4 Trader in the advert could be an "All Wheel Drive" conversion, there is a similar one in preservation in East Kent. Do not recollect the British Army ever having them though, unless it was trialled.

I have seen a photo of one of these in 'The Illustrated History of Ford Trucks, Vans and PSVs' and it seems to be a prototype by AWD for trial. Looks very much like a Bedford RL rival.