Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Hi

Found the gang winch of the tank interesting example of what not to do, I'm referring to the tank driver with his head out of the tank and the guys standing around in the cable whip area. Having seen what happens when a cable or attachment point breaks or let's go, if I had to be involvedone in a maximum pull effort I'd pick the tank drivers position but looking out through the vision port.

Yes, it may not be an maximum pull with the three winch vehicles only at half power.

Cheers Phil

Hi

Found the gang winch of the tank interesting example of what not to do, I'm referring to the tank driver with his head out of the tank and the guys standing around in the cable whip area. Having seen what happens when a cable or attachment point breaks or let's go, if I had to be involvedone in a maximum pull effort I'd pick the tank drivers position but looking out through the vision port.

Yes, it may not be an maximum pull with the three winch vehicles only at half power.

Cheers Phil

Slightly off topic but that reminds me of an incident recalled by an RSM friend of mine who was stationed in Germany during the 70s. A column of tanks were crossing an autobahn while the police held up the traffic when a Merc full of bank robbers on the run from Stuttgart failed to stop and supposedly hit a tank doing circa 100mph. The impact was so great it shifted the tank 5 feet sideways (a 2 ton car @ 100mph has the same energy as a 50 ton tank @ 20mph) and the car was completely destroyed but a windscreen wiper flew off and went straight through the tank driver's cheek injuring him quite badly.

• 1 year later...

years ago i once got into an argument about recovery on this site involving some naive people having innocent fun recovering a stalwart at the time i was mocked for pointing out some salient points. just come across this video https://www.facebook.com/david.allamby/videos/1402144089904204/

I also can got banned for one 1 month for people putting on a recovery demonstration at WP. For pointing out their mistakes yuking at and riving at a vehicle and adding more vehicles and pointing out farming mentality type errors

WARNING CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT

Edited by cosrec

A very vivid demonstration of the deadly result of a recovery tow gone wrong.

I can understand your wish to get the message over but I think fair warning is due to anyone that wishes to watch.

Unless this is a very good mock up someone has died and the images are very graphic and could upset!!!

Iain

I think Iain is right, Cosrec- maybe if you insert a warning above your video link?

Having clicked on the link I chose not to watch it on seeing the opening still - others may do the same, so you could get your message across by briefly describing (without too much graphic description!) what happened, and what went wrong?

Lots of ways to hurt yourself recovering stuck machinery.

I once went to winch out a tractor and silage trailer, it was well down and leaning over in a boggy patch maize field and I had travelled through a closed flooded road on the way; would indicate the general weather.

The contractors crew had tried to increase the effective diameter of the bellied tractors' wheels by blowing them up more; when one gave up and blew off the boss was blown into the standing crop and ended up in hospital for a couple of days; if he had been blown into any of the nearby machines would have been much worse.

However when they had run out of chains to break they summoned our 6 wheeled Matador based crane chassis winch machine and none seemed too impressed but was out onto dry ground fairly sharply.

One or our machinery lecturers at college has been a MAF safety inspector back in the distant. He had a collection of old photos taken at the scene. Certainly made a point why there was a need for tractor safety frames etc. The prize of the collection was why you should not weld a seven foot diamiter circular saw blade.

As for old vehicles doing the job, one place I worked someone got a Toyota stuck on the peri, the gallant gardiauns then got their Discovery stuck trying to get it out. In order to avoid embarrsesment they phoned me and asked if I had my Land Rover there. I didn't that day, but pointed out my WC51 was on site. Much laughter, OK you explain it. I took the Dodge out , just to prove a point left the Toyota hitched to the Disco and pulled both out in one go. I had a lot of quiet satifaction on that one.

Edited by Tony B

Strange how the tractor they are pulling him out of seems to be standing on a perforated metal plate which does not appear on the earlier shots and the rear tyres have a much closer cleat pattern than before. Also no sign of heavy bleeding unless they are pulling him out a day later. Good latex mask??

Watch the clip in full screen and pause 4 seconds from the end.

Strange how the tractor they are pulling him out of seems to be standing on a perforated metal plate which does not appear on the earlier shots and the rear tyres have a much closer cleat pattern than before. Also no sign of heavy bleeding unless they are pulling him out a day later. Good latex mask??

Watch the clip in full screen and pause 4 seconds from the end.

Not saying it's not a worthwhile stark warning but it doesn't look quite right does it, lots of faked up stuff on tinternet...just for clicks..

It would appear that a facebook account is needed in order to watch the video.

I found the same problem.

It is possible to view FB sites IF they are made viewable but many are not.

When a number of my colleagues who are working in IT all the time go to FB then I may register but at the moment they stay clear.

I found the same problem.

It is possible to view FB sites IF they are made viewable but many are not.

When a number of my colleagues who are working in IT all the time go to FB then I may register but at the moment they stay clear.

It doesn't work even with a facebook account - I suspect it's been pulled.

I have been away for a few days so all though i i have been able to view i could not post. I believe Radiomike 7 is right and it was a made up thing. With hind sight i simply posted with out checking. Having said that i do believe it was trying to get across a message i have stressed many times. Recovery is one of the most satisfying/reward tasks one can do be it for making a living or simply helping some one out. But here is the rub every one can see judge size by simply looking at something. Very few have any concept of weight (force) or the load it it is imposing on equipment. Hence dont think if a rope of any material were to slap you at the back of the head it would be a warning

I have been away for a few days so all though i i have been able to view i could not post. I believe Radiomike 7 is right and it was a made up thing. With hind sight i simply posted with out checking. Having said that i do believe it was trying to get across a message i have stressed many times. Recovery is one of the most satisfying/reward tasks one can do be it for making a living or simply helping some one out. But here is the rub every one can see judge size by simply looking at something. Very few have any concept of weight (force) or the load it it is imposing on equipment. Hence dont think if a rope of any material were to slap you at the back of the head it would be a warning

Well said, and thanks for following up.

• 2 years later...

It's been a long time since this excellent thread saw any action, so I thought I would try to wake it up by posting a link to something I have only just stumbled across, the new Liebherr G-BKF armoured rescue crane. A seriously impressive tool, I now know what I would do if I won the lottery!

Edited by utt61
Spelling

On 8/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, utt61 said:

It's been a long time since this excellent thread saw any action, so I thought I would try to wake it up by posting a link to something I have only just stumbled across, the new Liebherr G-BKF armoured rescue crane. A seriously impressive tool, I now know what I would do if I won the lottery!

Seriously impressive indeed, but still needs a crewman to take the winch rope to the casualty: wot! no rocket?

My only concern (apart from the worrying amount of electronics) is the enormous front overhang.

Steve.

14 minutes ago, Ex-boy said:

Seriously impressive indeed, but still needs a crewman to take the winch rope to the casualty: wot! no rocket?

My only concern (apart from the worrying amount of electronics) is the enormous front overhang.

Steve.

And the over 2million euros price tag...  😲

Dear All,

Some observations. The German Armed Forces are seriously under resourced as they only spend 1.2 % of GDP on Defence compared UK's 2 % plus our meeting the 0.7 % of GDP on Development aid.  They must have even more horrible gaps in their capability than we do.

I am not trained on the in-service SVR recovery vehicle (I would not even know how to start it).  However, operationally I would rather have three modern Foden type recovery vehicles to one of those. 

Whilst it is an amazing vehicle, it can only be in one place at one time. I would love to be able to study the Staff Requirement and the business case for buying it.

Does anyone one know how many they are buying?

John

8 minutes ago, attleej said:

Dear All,

Some observations. The German Armed Forces are seriously under resourced as they only spend 1.2 % of GDP on Defence compared UK's 2 % plus our meeting the 0.7 % of GDP on Development aid.  They must have even more horrible gaps in their capability than we do.

I am not trained on the in-service SVR recovery vehicle (I would not even know how to start it).  However, operationally I would rather have three modern Foden type recovery vehicles to one of those. 

Whilst it is an amazing vehicle, it can only be in one place at one time. I would love to be able to study the Staff Requirement and the business case for buying it.

Does anyone one know how many they are buying?

John

Here you go, 150m euros worth !

https://www.liebherr.com/en/deu/latest-news/news-press-releases/detail/liebherr-delivers-the-first-armoured-mobile-and-recovery-cranes-to-the-german-army.html