SEM-35 military radios (for vehicle)

Sisu

Hi, I've bought piece by piece two SEM-35 military radios with accessories, AGAT-antenna tuners and vehicle antennas, plus Telemit-test equipment. I'm going to fit one of them in my Sisu, and would like to have a dual antenna installation. At the moment I'm missing all the cables.

So, anyone ever fit one SEM-radio with two antennas in their vehicle? I would also like to know if anyone in this forum have such radio's, or any info. There are so many different accessories available its slightly confusing.

These are my first military radios, I have some other HAM-equipment, but due the busy schedule I haven't had much time to study them. I'm going to spend some more time in the future for them, and get a licence (of course I haven't been using them so far).

My ultimate SEM-35 setup will include installation for two of my trucks and one for my Range Rover. I really do like the way these radios were built, but need some help for the actual installation. Currently I'm constructing a new cabin, so I can alter the design to better accommodate the radio equipment.

Edited by Sisu

Great, although I have no problem studying more about the subject as its very interesting. But at the moment too many other projects taking time. Therefore at this point I only want to do the installation...

I actually am only interested of using "non-Ham" frequencies, ie. CB-radio frequencies which are covered with SEM-35. As I also have the assault boat, I thought of having one of the radio systems in portable format, and using it for boat->land -communications. I also have intention to buy a bigger army boat (as a 2nd boat) - kind of a landing craft from Finnish Army, 10m long - in next year - and make a similar setup for it. Sure these boats need VHF as well, but what could be more fun than having real Mil-radios?!

Even if I'm living in Germany, the language is difficult and currently I'm not able to understand too much from the manuals.

No, my assault boat wasn't expensive, and these SEM-35 military radios cost in really good condition 89,- Eur each(!). All vacuum packed and ex-army reserve. The microphone (seen in the photos) 35,- Eur (new with 2-5m cable), AGAT antenna tuners (9,95 each, used) and vehicle antenna's 29,95 EUR used condition. The Telemit test equipment (brand new, ex-reserve) 149,- Eur. I think these radios are one of the best deals in the market, too bad all the radio faces have the text in German - but on the other hand, they were made in (West) Germany...

Hi, I have SEM25 and SEM 35 etc. I have handbooks, but all in German. SEM 35 only makes use of one antenna, you can't use two. You can't use any ex-military radios on CB frequencies, as the SEM etc series radios are very wide band. Also you will need the mounting kit, with ALL the leads before you can use the radio from a vehicles supply and the antenna tuner. The leads are hard to get hold of in UK, but you can get most from Germany. But most suppliers will not send small parcels of kit.

If I can help more PM me.

Many thanks for the information, sorry for my late reply... I'm still located at Germany so getting some items is bit easier than from elsewhere, but I've also noticed the cables aren't that easy to find separately.

Is there any max distance requirement for the antenna tuner from the antenna? I'm going to install the antenna on the rear wall of the cabin (outside of course), and thought whether I should reserve a place for the AGAT-unit from otherside of the wall, or perhaps I could install it closer to the operator (ie. under passenger sides front window).

I actually thought should I purchase the vehicle mounting kit, but as you say its required I'll look for one - they are not that expensive actually. Do you know if an English version of the manuals is available somewhere?

Antenna question; As you can see the type of antenna I have, is there a similar antenna available like for US radios, ie. long one that has a very flexible neck and therefore the antenna can be put into a large arc. This would suit my truck best, as my truck is already almost 3 meters high and I don't have so much playroom under low bridges.

Thanks again :)

Antenna question; As you can see the type of antenna I have, is there a similar antenna available like for US radios, ie. long one that has a very flexible neck and therefore the antenna can be put into a large arc. This would suit my truck best, as my truck is already almost 3 meters high and I don't have so much playroom under low bridges.

Thanks again :)

The length of antenna you require is determined by the frequency range covered by the set. 1/4 wavelength is an inverse function of frequency. Transmitting antennae need to be tuned to the transmitted signal and ought to be close to but less than 1/4 of the shortest frequency to be used, The antenna tuning unit can be adjusted to electonically match the exact frequency. Clansman VHF sets, working in the military VHF band, 30-76MHz, use two metres of rod. Larkspur, working 36-60Mhz, use eight feet of rod.

As to length of coax between set and antenna base, ISTR it had to be shielded to avoid it radiating. Actual length was otherwise not critical with Larkspur and we used whatever coax did the job. With Clansman ISTR the correct length of coax as provided had to be used, a bit like USB cabling.

• 1 month later...

I have purchased a lot of SEM-35 stuff from eBay lately, I found a good source for all sorts of cables and antennas, so at the moment I have a great variety of accessories for the radios.

As well, I decided to study for the Radio Amateur tests (tests to be done in Finland, so I get Finnish "OH"-sign, easier for me due the Finnish language and I could just download all the test material for free), good way to get some info about antennas, gear and how to use them. Also the licence is required any way. I believe I can use the licence in UK as well, maybe I have to ask for special permission for my radio gear in UK?

Sisu

Been asking about, but no handbooks in english at the moment. How is your dutch, as some manuals may be available?

The antennas you have, should have a srping base which is covered in rubber. The antenna can then be angled as you wish. However, at VHF any antenna which is not vertical will reduce the range a lot. The energy comes off the antenna at right angles, so you can see that you will talking to worms and birds!

If you get a licence in almost any EU country, you can use your kit in UK. You don't need to ask permission, so long as you keep to the UK regulations.

Keep your antennas away from engine and ABS electronics in the car. When we fitted high power radios to police rangerovers many years ago, the brakes and engine management systems did some very odd things! I don't know about Finland, but in some EU countries fitting none CE or CA marked radios invalidates the type approval of the vehicle.

I will keep looking for info for you in english.