816 Wreaker

th_My816Wreakertowing2poundercarrier00.jpg

This is my wrecker our I have adopted her, this is my 2 tow job, a 2 pounder carrier under restoration by one of our young troopers.

To get the 816 working i.e brakes which are hydraulic over air over hydraulic I looked on forums like this and found the answers so thanks.

to pressurize/bleed the hydraulic system I got an oil can, one with a pump and connected a piece of hose. Then I bleed the system as per normal after cleaning the air relief valve.

So as I am trying to point out there is more to this forum than chatter so thanks

Paul Downunder

I will take so more photos on Tuesday and post them. While I'm here what is the chronology of American Military wreckers i.e WWI to Vietnam M816.

If any body wants photos of vehicles in our collection (internal-external or parts I can take them and post here.

Paul Downunder

Here are some more photos of the 816

th_My816wreckerphotos019.jpg

th_My816wreckerphotos017.jpg

th_My816wreckerphotos018.jpg

th_My816wreckerphotos015.jpg

This 816 came from the Woomera Rocket Range where it was used by civiys, it still has all the red dust in it, on it and every where else. it certainly wasn't serviced.

The 816 has just gone out of service 1995 being replaced by the Mack in Australia. we also have a M543 A2 the previous model that entered service around 1963, the A2 denotes that it has a Gen Motors Detroit Diesel 6V53 215 HP instead of the standard straight 6. These were issued to cav units as this is the same engine as the M113 family.

The Ward La France is circa 1942 were did the Diamond T fit in?

I am certainly enjoying learning to drive and operate her within the confines of our compound" o for the open road its amazing how many gears I can change in low range'.

Paul Downunder

Edited by Shakey985
Wrong engine named by me Paul downunder

Hi Shakey,

Nice truck! What engine does it have?

As for the chronology of wreckers, I can offer a little info but there are many more. I'll fill the gaps in when I'm back with my copy of Crismon!

WWII:

medium wrecker - Diamond T 969

heavy wrecker - Ward LaFrance M1 series 1 - 5

aircraft wrecker - Brockway, Corbitt, Federal, Biederman

others: Mack LMSW etc. & many other manufacturers.

Post-war:

M62

M816

& many many others

- Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The 816 working for a living

TankMuseum67Aug08001.jpg

TankMuseum67Aug08003.jpg

During the week I did 2 tows with an a frame and lift and tow of a vehicle that was used on trails. The vehicle is still classified so no pictures, it took me 3 hours to get it out of our grave yard and on display for some officers.

I am learning heaps and having a ball

Paul Downunder

• 2 months later...

Martin welcome to the forum.

I didn't want to imply that your truck wasn't a working truck but it looks to clean< where the one that I have adopted has been siting at Woomera with no love or attention for years, I have had to repair the hydraulic seals, as due to no use thy have deteriorated.

I use the truck at least once a week to do tasks around the museum so my knowledge of safe operating is increasing all the time.

We also have a M543 A2 that has a Gen Motors Detroit V6 Diesel, this is getting its brakes overhauled at the moment and will eventually replace the M816 as the museum wrecker.

What would be good is to get a photo of all the wreckers side by side for a comparison and maybe a tractor pulling contest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Martin welcome to the forum.

I didn't want to imply that your truck wasn't a working truck but it looks to clean< where the one that I have adopted has been siting at Woomera with no love or attention for years, I have had to repair the hydraulic seals, as due to no use thy have deteriorated.

I use the truck at least once a week to do tasks around the museum so my knowledge of safe operating is increasing all the time.

We also have a M543 A2 that has a Gen Motors Detroit V6 Diesel, this is getting its brakes overhauled at the moment and will eventually replace the M816 as the museum wrecker.

What would be good is to get a photo of all the wreckers side by side for a comparison and maybe a tractor pulling contest.

That would be a good pull, being both trucks are basicly the same, Ie- axles, trans, xcase, wrecker bed, the only difference is the frame on the m816 is 9" longer then the m543, and the v6 DD for the m543 and the 855 cummins for the m816, even the weight is very close.

The win would DEPEND on the QUALITY of the driver

Edited by 73m819

• 4 months later...

I came across this amongst my old holiday snaps. The wrecker is in service (or it was when photographed, in 1980) with the Public Works Department on Malta. Is it an M543 or its MAP equivalent, an M816 please? It does not have what I take to be a hydraulic fluid tank behind the cab as seen in other photos on this thread.

John.

Wrecker 001.jpg

Hi,

The truck in the picture from Malta is an M62 John. The M62 was the first U.S. Military post war wrecker to utilize a fully hydraulic crane, departing from the older Holmes and GarWood designs. It uses the Austin-Western crane assembly found on many small off-highway construction cranes during the same era. The hydraulic tank is mounted between the framerails. The M543 was the next design model and used a GarWood designed hydraulic crane platform. The M816 came after the M543. Both the M543 and the M816 (and even the M936) used the same GarWood crane having the hydraulic tank mounted on the passenger side of the mast.

Both cranes have the same extended boom length (18 feet) and load rating (10 tons) and elevate to approx. 45°however, there are design differences in the boom, turntable and how the hoist winch is mounted. The A-W crane has a large single hyd. cyl. for boom elevation where the GarWood has two smaller cyls.

The M246 and later M819 tractor-wreckers both used A-W cranes having a 6ft. manual telescopic extension fitted inside the boom making for a max. extended length of 26ft.

I've operated both styles of crane and I like the A-W better; the turntable gearing is enclosed and not open to the weather/dust/dirt. The slewing and control is nice and tight. The M936 I occaisionally operate is a fairly new truck being barely used and there is plenty of "slop" in the turntable gearing. Due to the hoist winch mounted behind you (and the pivot point) and the large single elevation cyl. mounted under the boom instead of on the sides like the G-W you have a little more visibility of your work area. I always thought it was silly that the hoist winch on the G-W is mounted in front of the boom elevation pivot point and in front of the elevation cylinders. That's 4-500lbs. of unnecessary weight that it's having to lift. Mounted behind the lift and pivot point like on the A-W, the hoist winch acts as a counterweight. I'm sure its not a big deal but I thought I'd point it out. I also don't like the idea of the GarWood crane having 40+ gallons of hyd. fluid sitting that high up and exposed for no reason.

Hopefully I've answered some of your questions.

Edited by EKA_Wrecker
spelling, etc.

• 3 months later...

Paul - its Howard (different avatar!)... just found this older thread of your truck at Pucka. Some of the details that I have been chasing are answered in these old pics!

Had fun last week putting 1.515" holes in 3x1.5' steel for the rear sus tow bracket. Now pocket welded to the 4x4 - 1/4" wall tube.

Found some steel for the bypass oilfilter shield and you pics help in locating it.

Also notice a chequer plate cover the right side rear tackle space - checking other pics to follow that lead for fabn.

I am amassing a whole load of pics and info following research on the differences between various Aussie M816s and factory issued to the US Army.

Differences appear to be in three seperate catagories...

i/ Mandatory and standardised - Cummins bypass Oil filter (behind air filter), rear sus tow sub-frame and Holmes tow gear [when Macks came into service] with second - raised pintle hitch, Acetylene bottle relocation, additional signal/marker lights, 'stop ends' to rear body, reinforcement to rear steps, MoD plate in cab, made in Oz water Jerry can, "WIDE LOAD" on front bumper, "Caution Left Hand Drive" on back body, and of course TAC Plates and holders....

ii/ Mandatory/necessary but local design - relocation of beacon, fire extinguisher location,...

iii/ End user comfort and whim! - added drive/working lights, driver side behind-bumper stowage, trolley valve, "deely boppers"[bumper guides], rear bumperette removal, split shifting transfer gear stick extension, fridge, seat swap, added lockers and tool boxes, roof rack/cage, water tank, exhaust extended up/back....

Will do some kind of publication when I am finished with the research and conversion of my 816.

One example of 'local' build...

1 Tsp Sqn Wksp 1.jpg

Edited by soupdragon
Updated info

• 3 months later...

Pics of the rear. Showing added sus-tow frame and body 'stop ends' also additional lighting.

Second spare tyre holder (next to Jerry cans) was not common. Not known if this was an inservice mod.

Combined welding bottles and reinforced rear steps - are other differences to US trucks. Removed bumperettes and alternative trailer hitch may be a civi mod.

John RearR .75 big.jpg

John RearL .75 big.jpg

Edited by soupdragon
red txt - added comments.