816 Wreaker

Came across another pic.. White numbers on black "AMF" plates dates these trucks to the initial "179 - NNN" purchase in 1971. (1973 purchase trucks had green numbers on white "ARMY" plates 25_NNN)

Two Australian M816's using the standard US issue sus tow kit of Hollebone [towbar motor vehicle] with chain clamps to the front axle and whiffle tree [bar lifting] chained to the chassis ends instead of the front bumper lifting shackles which is the US method.

M816 Kens         179 629.jpg

With the later 70's introduction of the Aus made Mack trucks, the 816's were fitted with the higher sus tow subframe incorporating the Holmes tow gear and elevated second pintle hitch. Whiffle trees were 'generally' dispensed with and Hollebones only used for flat towing.

The green is nothing that I did - appears to be some kind of advertising marker automatically added ???

Edited by soupdragon
yup - missed that utt61!

It looks to me as though, in the photo above, the whiffle tree is chained to the chassis legs just behind the bumper and not to the lifting points. I wonder why this is, is it preferred for some reason, or is someone being lazy or lacking suitable shackles?

... and not to the lifting points. I wonder why this is, is it preferred for some reason, or is someone being lazy or lacking suitable shackles?

Maybe the lifting points weren't trusted...

...and the "casualty" isn't very far off of the ground either.

Nice pic of two brand new ones though!

Would be nice if a moderator could fix the original thread title..

• 1 year later...

Anyone down under have some cast steel 'hold fasts' (ground anchors) that they can measure? I am considering getting some cast locally'ish because I can't imagine shipping them from Aus will be practical or affordable.

I already have a pile of hex pins in the UK awaiting postage - not going to like that bill either!

Ground anchor -.jpg