finds and discoveries

Well as I said on my last post I'm always looking over walls so I thought I might post some of these discoveries here's the first it's a jeep buried in a stream as far as I know it's still there but it has been robbed out

jeepinstream1.jpg

it's in the UK anyone else seen anything interesting

The picture shows the rear of the body the rest of the body is buried you can just see the grab handle on the right hand side of the picture. I got hold of the owner of the land it was on and was given permission to excavate I started digging and there wasn't a lot left. A local also infromed me that the land that the jeep was on was used as a practice bombing site.

I guess it's a bit difficult to see... so here's another I dug up off a farm in Devon. The farmer used use a jeep to get from his front door to the road. It's strange but they have a habit of burying vehicles in that part of the country.

Anyone ever walk the coast road from Bucks Mills to Clovelly you come across a load of rusting chassis and engine blocks from pre-war Austins and Morris's just sitting there just off the path they just pushed them off the cliff anyway I digress

jeep2.jpg

As you can tell it's GPW, I managed to salvage quite alot from this to help with my own GPW project

Saw a programme on TV recently where it was talking about the failed operation (The name escapes me now), that tried to land Churchills and commandos on a beach in France, the one where all the tanks bar one got bogged down on the beach. The TV presenter was talking to a local Frenchman who was standing at the top of this field explaining that the germans buried all the tanks there once they cleared them off the beach.

There are a lot of ww2 tanks just lying around near me (Salisbury Plain). I had a friend once who tried to get a sherman but the MOD wouldn't him. I did have one of those I know where some stuff is buried conversations and even got permission to dig from the council but I discovered the tip had in past dumped Asbestos where I wanted to dig.

In Jersey it is either at the bottom of a two hundred foot cliff or in about six hundred feet of Hurd's Deep. I think Jersey Archive may have the collection of photos taken by Major Frank Seargent, the same guy who took the WLF photos. I'll do some checking and see if I can get copies.

I know where some stuff is buried conversations and even got permission to dig from the council but I discovered the tip had in past dumped Asbestos where I wanted to dig.

Colonel - I would say that sounds like a Scooby Doo type of story....to keep people away....:???

There are a lot of ww2 tanks just lying around near me (Salisbury Plain). I had a friend once who tried to get a sherman but the MOD wouldn't him. I did have one of those I know where some stuff is buried conversations and even got permission to dig from the council but I discovered the tip had in past dumped Asbestos where I wanted to dig.

:idea: Just get a digger and some dust particle masks and work upwind

Ashley