Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned bunker found in Denmark

Default Abandoned bunker found in Denmark

In May 45 the German soldiers in Denmark packed their stuff and marched towards the German border only bringing small weapons and personal belongings. As a part of the Atlantic Wall thousands of bunkers was build at the West coast of Jutland. After the Germans left the bunkers they where ripped by Danish civilians from everything of any value including all technical installations. At these locations the nature sets up the rules, and the bunkers was exposed to heavy masses of drifting sand. On special locations the sea takes a great bite of the coast line from time to time leaving the bunkers flooded. That’s a very fascinating phenomenon. In 45 a group of bunkers near Ringkoebing was abandoned but for some unknown reason nobody seems to take any immediately action. May be it was located in a heavily mined area. (The drifting sand caused big problems with landmines – the German maps didn’t work for long, since the landscape changed rapidly). But anyway, the bunkers were covered by sand and have stayed that way ever since. A storm in the spring this year did rearrange the sand in a way allowing two kids to find the bunkers. The local authorities were informed and archaeologists enter the scene. Soon they managed to enter the bunkers and inspect the rooms. They found the bunkers as they where in the days of war – of course furniture, paper and that kind of stuff was in a poor condition due to heavy moisture. But all technical installations were untouched and lots of other things could be found. Pics and the whole story can be found in the Danish newspaper “Jyllands Posten”, but only Danish language I’m afraid. http://jp.dk/nyviden/article1378096.ece
    If you ever visit Jutland, we have lots of bunker museums – have a look at the website from the museum of the biggest fortification in North Europe http://www.museumscenterhanstholm.dk/
    If your Danish are not that good, I will be glad to answer any questions and translate as needed.
    Thanks
    Kim
    Kim Hansen - Denmark
    GMC CCKW 353 closed cab
    GMC CCKW 353 open cab
    www.kimh.dk

Default Re: Abandoned bunker found in Denmark

Now that's a god reason to visit! Sounds fascinating, what sort of kit was found?
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

To translate items like this,
    click on the link,
    copy the title,
    & paste into google & it will come up with the website
    & click on translate & there it is

like this:
    http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Papav66 -Thanks for the hint. I did try to translate the article, as you desribed and it works fine. Well - some Danish words seems to be to difficult to handle, but I imagine, that one can get most of the picture that way.

Tony - Did the translated article answer your question. Again, if something is unclear I will be glad to clarify as needed.

Since I was a kid these enormes bunkers and the ww2 storyes from that time at the west coast of Jutland did fascinate me. Unfortunately I live on Seeland some 300 km away but of we often do spend our summer holydays in those areas. ("oh no Dad! Not another museum!!!")

Thanks
    Kim Hansen - Denmark
    GMC CCKW 353 closed cab
    GMC CCKW 353 open cab
    www.kimh.dk

Wow what a find, makes you wonder how much else is still waiting to be discovered...
    If you have plans to buy something on eBay, please use on of the VigLinks eBay links and then proceed to buy.
    This will help HMVF as we get a commission on items bought through these links. This, of course does not cost you anything!!

Smile Re: Abandoned bunker found in Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Joris View Post
    Wow what a find, makes you wonder how much else is still waiting to be discovered...
    One never knows - next time they might find a group of very old German soldiers playing cards and still waiting for final orders

Kind regards
    Kim Hansen - Denmark
    GMC CCKW 353 closed cab
    GMC CCKW 353 open cab
    www.kimh.dk

Nice work Kim - can we get a good translation as I would like to use if for front page news........

Best wishes.

Jack.
    Jack Beckett
    Dorset

HMVFwinners of the Bart Vanderveen award 2008. For outstanding contribution to the military vehicle movement.

www.WarHistoryOnline.com
    Online War History News

www.GhostsOfHistory.co.uk
    Then & Now WWII prints

Woah that must have been a hell of a day for the guys! The translation isn't bad. Thanks for the link Papa, will come in useful.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

great find and pictures , wish i could stumble on something like this one day ,,,,,,,,,,,
    hotchkiss jeep
    mvt member
    imps member

Quote Originally Posted by KimHansen View Post
    One never knows - next time they might find a group of very old German soldiers playing cards and still waiting for final orders

Kind regards
    The Jersey Evening Post did something similar as an April Fool wind up a few years ago. Got some very funny results. I recognise some of the stuff in the photos as gas seals and air filters. not your everyday hole in the ground. Was it a battery directring bunker?
    Leading the charge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information