MOBILE LIGHTHOUSE,(its true)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

This has got to be the craziest trailer ever.Anyone know anything about it.

Hi Catweazle,

That is for airfields, think it was made by Stone-Chance. In a recent thread on the sunken wartime cargo ship in the Red Sea, one of these is seen in the hold.

and the trailer chassis is a Straussler design, with torsion bar suspension, like the RAF fuel bowswers.

Richard

If you look at the original thread of the sunken cargo you will see a picture I posted of the type trailer in the sunken hold. it was in fact a Pundit airfield identification light not a Chance mobile floodlightlight,

Firstly, The trailer in this thread is employing lenses derived from Lighthouse technology by the Chance Bros Co . The Chance light illuminated the left side of a runway edge as viewed by a landing pilot. The trailer was positioned about 30 ft from the threshold . the 4 leveling jacks on the floodlight unit enabled it to be set up with great accuracy. As an aircraft joined the circuit ATC would instruct the crew manning the light switch it on. Comms was normally by a field telephone arrangement.

As soon as the kite was safely down off went the light. At the end of night flying the Chance light would normally be towed back to the Night Flying equipment shed adjacent to ATC.

Turning to the sunken cargo; This was an Airfield Identification Beacon trailer, known by us as a Pundit, its an identical trailer chassis arrangement and similar top hamper containing a generater and switch gear. However the light tower was a square section, It was normally position on the edge of the airfield often just outside the perimeter fence. Each airfield had a 2 letter morse code Ident. The switchgear was programmed to the relevant letters and when the airfield was open for flying after dusk it was switched on.

Of both types there were variations, both came as either trailer or truck mounted with the Fordson WOT1 being the most usual. In the case of the ident beacon The light tower was more commonly mounted over the steering turntable, and this is the case in the sunken cargo. The square front mounting position for the tower can be seen in the original thread picture.

I cannot find that original thread any ideas please ???

PUNDIT ident beacon.jpg

Hi Catweazle,

That is for airfields, think it was made by Stone-Chance. In a recent thread on the sunken wartime cargo ship in the Red Sea, one of these is seen in the hold.

and the trailer chassis is a Straussler design, with torsion bar suspension, like the RAF fuel bowswers.

Richard

Stone-Chance used to be in crawley

Their used to be one in JACSONS YARD .He would not sell it .

Thats interesting,how long ago was that,i would quite like one so i can annoy the police helicopter that hovers about in the middle of the night searchlight blazing wasting our money.Must be an eu law against that if only i could find it.:-D

Thats interesting,how long ago was that,i would quite like one so i can annoy the police helicopter that hovers about in the middle of the night searchlight blazing wasting our money.Must be an eu law against that if only i could find it.:-D

I am getting the feeling that you may not like helicopters.........am I correct :confused:

Richard :-D

Hi Richard,i think like everything else in there theatre of operations they are ok,like the steps of Russia.The north pole etc.The police in our area have regular night exercises,simulated prison brake,also they send it up at the slightest sign of trouble in Brixton because there all wetting there pants waiting for the next riots.We happen to be on the edge of the area where they hover and use the searchlight any time of the night.Thank goodness we arnt armed .Also we have the sirens all night long even tho theres no traffic in the way.Why anyone lives here beats me.With a bit of luck one will fall on the garage and we can take the insurance and bugger off.

106302.jpg

This is where they belong.:-D