South Mids MVT Chill Out Weekend, WW2 Camp Evesham, Aug 23-25

Celebrating 40 years of the MVT, a relaxed event with barbecue & informal road runs on quiet roads & green lanes.

Open to all MVT members & non-members & re-enactors. (Not open to the general public)

We are unique in that we are the only MVT area to now have four genuine restored WW2 Nissen Huts, one complete with piano and pot bellied stove, so if its chilly out you can still have a cosy night in. The Nissen Huts form part of Ashdown Camp which comprises:

• No. 1 Nissen Hut with British memorabilia

• No. 2 Nissen Hut, U.S. Army Hospital*

• No. 3 Nissen Hut, Motor Pool & German Quarters*

• No. 4 Nissen Hut, for re-enactors/displays (currently under construction)*

• Anderson air raid shelter

• Barb-wire entanglement

• Earthbund walls

• Guard hut*

• Midland Warplane Museum Displays on loan*

• Radio shack

• Replica German pillbox

• Searchlights 90cm x2 (currently under renovation)*

• Sentry posts with barriers

• Stanton Air raid shelter*

• ‘The Cooler’ an ex-British Waterways Diglis Locks WW2 guard shelter*

• All overlooked by the purposeful looking watch tower

+ Lots of other atmospheric memorabilia

*New for 2008

Just some of the vehicles from our area likely to attend, let alone others that will be turning up:

American - Dodge Ambulance, Dodge WC, Dodge wrecker, Dukw, Ford Wot2, GMC's, GPW, Halftrack, Harley Davidson WLC, Jeeps, Reo's, Halftrack

British - Austin K9, Austin Champ, Austin Tilly, Bedford MK, Bedford MWC Water Bowser, Bren Gun Carrier, Dingo, Ferret, Green Goddess, Land Rover Lightweight, Series I, Series II, 101, Militant, Norton, Saracen, Saxon,

Chinese - Field Car

Czech – Praga M53 with twin 30mm

Dutch - DAF Cargo 1-Ton

French – Hotchkiss Jeep

German – Schutzenpanzer Lang HS30 Tank

Iraqi – SA60 – Anit-aircraft Gun

Russian - Amphibious BMP1 Tank, Kraz255b Tank Transporter, Zil 131 with Bofors Gun

+Other vehicles from The Bob James Collection & Jim ‘Ruski’ Dorman

ANY AGE OF MILITARY VEHICLE & RE-ENACTORS WELCOME

FREE BARBECUE SATURDAY

Our Catering Corps will provide a barbecue on Saturday evening, non-MVT members will need to make a small contribution to costs.

ROAD RUN SUNDAY

Drive into the Cotswolds along quiet country lanes, bridle paths, through a shallow ford & stopping off at the Flag & Whistle café at the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Steam Railway at Toddington.

For MVT members there will be a contribution towards fuel costs shared equally. Timing and route subject to weather.

There will also be the option of a shorter run, meeting at Toddington.

WHAT THE PAPERS SAY

made you wonder if you were in Normandy, or the wooded hilly lanes of the Ardennes.

The scenery was mag-nificent, making this the best road run that I have ever experienced in the U.K. We are all looking forward to a re-run Bob. On our return from the road run we were all treated to a barbeque, all pro-vided by Bob and cooked I believe, by Gill King. After consum-ing copious amounts of this food we were then entertained by Bob’s three friends who made up the mortar team. They attempted to shell one of Bob’s Dodge trucks, they came very close but never quite hit it (Pyrotechnics) we all know that a Dodge is inde-structible anyway.

After the display everyone gravitated to the Nissen hut with its fire, comfortable chairs and wartime memora-bilia. I think that I might try to book the Nissen hut for my next annual holiday. Fantastic Mr James. your hospitality is second to none, and your site set-up leaves us begging for more thanks a million from each and every one of us.”

Ray Wilcox, North Staffs MVT/Windscreen

WW2 VETERAN SUNDAY EVENING

A presentation by Major Darek Celinski recently awarded the Officer’s Cross, Order of Resurrected Poland, for his outstanding bravery during the Nazi Reign of Terror in Poland during the Second World War.

TRADE FOR FREE

Please bring and sell your spares / militaria for FREE. (No traders, unless by prior arrangement)

FREE CAMPING

Arrive on the 22nd if you wish. Camp on flat ground that doesn’t get too boggy or for those that wish to bring a caravan or motorhome there is a separate area behind the military section offering electric hook-up, Caravan Club registered with fee payable to landowner.

BOOKING FORM

None, this is a chill out weekend! However if you could just let us know you intend to come then that would be helpful for our chief tea maker & resident chef, Gill.

Ashdown Farm, Badsey, Nr. Evesham, WR11 7PA, just off A46.

FOR FURTHER INFO PLEASE CONTACT

Paul: 0779 159 1528 OR msg/PM here

Or Bob: 01386 41585

Badsey Camp.JPG

Warm Nissen.jpg

One of Jim's new toys.jpg

Bobs Dukw.jpg

chill out road run 2007.jpg

Fording.JPG

With it being closed to the public it does make it more relaxed as you don't get people trying to climb over your vehicles & don't have to worry about items going missing.

+ the field is about 35acres so plenty of room to camp & to play with vehicles.

Just a small sociable event.

• 2 months later...

Looking good for the Chill Out weekend, the Barbecue will be held in the new open ended Nissen so won't be affected by weather with searchlight display for afters.

And the Stanton shelter now complete with sound & lighting effects is well worth experiencing.

Ashdown Camp.jpg

Nissen No 4 & Searchlight.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Have now had confirmation that the BBMF Dakota will do flypast on the Saturday and possibly a Tigermoth will drop in, other small planes also welcome but no helicopters as Catweazle might be in residence!

Hi looking good.spanner in the works for me is the Gee boat has been entered in the Cowes Torquay,its not even in the water and i cant see it being ready,but that didnt stop it winning last time.If it isnt i will probably run the short course in mine all this is on the saterday.if i was to load the truck up and take it to Gosport how long at 50mph would it take me to get to you if i left early evening?Cheers CW.

Hi, by car Gosport is about 2.5hrs from Evesham, so at 50 I reckon it would be about 3.5hrs.

If you decide to come best way is onto A34 to Oxford, then A44 through Chipping Norton, Moreton-in-Marsh towards Evesham, turn right onto A46 for 1m then right at next roundabout towards Badsey, then 200yds on right turn right into drive with large green sign RB James.

cheers

Paul

Cheers Paul i would like to make it if poss,could be a long day tho do my best.what times road run maybe get some shut eye sat eve,leave really early sunday or bring s1 can cruise up to 70 in that.

Having just spent the weekend at this site, i'd just like to say a big thank you to this group for making us feel extremely welcome, nothing was too much trouble for anyone involved despite the downpours of rain! As a re-enactment group ourselves, we were given complete freedom of the site and facilities, tea was constantly flowing followed by a very relaxing informal eveing drinking in the main nissen hut. Anyone thinking of attending the chill out will be met with wonderful hospitality!

2ND BAT GLOSTERS.

Hi, by car Gosport is about 2.5hrs from Evesham, so at 50 I reckon it would be about 3.5hrs.

If you decide to come best way is onto A34 to Oxford, then A44 through Chipping Norton, Moreton-in-Marsh towards Evesham, turn right onto A46 for 1m then right at next roundabout towards Badsey, then 200yds on right turn right into drive with large green sign RB James.

cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

looks like we will now be leaving London early sat morn be with you for lunch(dont lay on anything special).This change of plan has come about due to engine failure on the boat whilst practising for the cowes torquay,although we did manage a best ever top speed.Looking forward to the event as i need a good chill out.Cheers CW.Do we have any other forum members present?:captain:broke again:cry:

(dont lay on anything special).

Oh so you don't want to piped aboard then?

I'll probably have got there with the cipher trailer Fri pm. Provided it's not too wet or too cold, yes I know its says chill out but I only do metaphorical of that.

At least with no public I hope nobody will ask me if my Wolf is a real one, as Alf Garnet would say "It ain't a bl**dy replica!". The current irritation for the pig is "Is it based on a Land Rover?":argh:

Sorry to hear of engine probs.

So far I only know of about 4 other HMVF people who are hoping to attend, but maybe more will turn up.

Then there should be about 50+ other vehicles there, taking into account Bob the landowner has about 15-20 in his collection & Jim with 5+, so its guaranteed some interesting vehicles will be there.

See you Saturday then, cheers Paul

Hi Mike, as mentioned its a fairly relaxed event but plans are:

Saturday

Might be a little road run on the Saturday but that will depend on whose interested.

15.00hrs flypast

BBMF Dakota subject to weather and availability.

19.00hrs barbecue in the large nissen

FREE for MVT members, but if possible please book in with Gill by 12.00HRS (with your MVT number if you have one) to give us a fair chance of buying in the right amount of food. Non-members need to make a small contribution. Though I know you have just joined Mike.

21.30hrs

Searchlight display

Sunday

11.00hrs – 14.00hrs appx

Drive into the Cotswolds along quiet country lanes, bridle paths, through a shallow ford & stopping off at the Flag & Whistle café, Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Steam Railway, Toddington.

Petrol contribution for MVT members. Timing and final route subject to weather.

18.30hrs – 19.30hrs WW2 Veteran

Slide presentation by Major Darek Celinski on ‘Life under Hitler’

Monday

No planned activity

And sometime over the weekend Jim will do another Mortar/pyro display.

I'll be there from Friday morning.

See you there.

cheers

Paul