Back on the OT-90 again..

RSSRobot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Sherman is a tracked vehicle and therefore mot exempt and is presumably allowed a much greater width allowance under 'Construction and Use Regulations'.

Was there any advantage in registering the way you have because I am about to register my carrier?

I don't know about width limits but that big JCB tracked tractor at the Bunker Bash was registered as an agricultural tractor and is well over the 2.55m 'limit'. See this link for the (impressive) spec. of the MT800B: http://www.challenger-ag.com/agco/Challenger/ChallengerUK/TrackedTractors/700800.htm

I know I didn't spell it out, but what I was getting at with this is that it might be worth talking to Caterpillar UK or a farmer who operates one of these (eg. the Essex Bunker owners) and ask for a photocopy or details of a V5. You then go to the DVLA and tell them it's a similar vehicle.

- Mike

Neil,

I registered my Sherman at the Ipswich office last month, no problems at all. It is registered as 'special purpose' body and a 'non standard' wheelplan.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - just checked the V55/5 that I was sent and the "Body Type" & "Wheelplan" field both say "Tracked" right now - think I need to get another copy of the form and start over!!!

How wide is the Sherman???

Neil,

the Sherman is 2.67 wide. I can't remember if the V55/5 has a box for width or not. If so, I will have filled it in correctly. As an aside, I don't want to be the example of '' you registered this last month'' in case they de-register me! Probably cannot now but I'm not sure I want to risk it....

I think your problems have come from a lack of understanding by the DVLA staff. I would try another office. Out of interest, what year is the OT-90?

Adrian

Neil,

the Sherman is 2.67 wide. I can't remember if the V55/5 has a box for width or not. If so, I will have filled it in correctly. As an aside, I don't want to be the example of '' you registered this last month'' in case they de-register me! Probably cannot now but I'm not sure I want to risk it....

I think your problems have come from a lack of understanding by the DVLA staff. I would try another office. Out of interest, what year is the OT-90?

Adrian

Adrian - box #19 on the V55/5 is the vehicle width. OT is 2.95m wide - if I strip off the top shrouds over the tracks I could probably get the width down to 2.75, Still over the top though and may cause issues if measured later on.

Fear not - Ipswich might be a bit far to go in that some one might ask why I've gone there when I live in Dagenham... :)

When I try another office though it might be useful to point out in general terms a 2.6m + width vehicle went through another office recently...... First of all I've got to wait for the Post Office to deliver my new insurance certificates - been 5 days already for a first class delivery!!

According to Russian Military it dates from 1980 so I've got to pay tax on it - which I don't mind as it would only be for 6 months of the year. If only they would let me do it......

Getting to be a case of infamy, infamy, they have all got it infamy for me! Does seem to be the current craze, change rules but don't tell anyone.

You can be Kenneth Williams if you want - but I want Fenella Fielding - she'd look oh so good reclining in the troop compartment!!!!

Carry on Screaming is still my all time favourite...

He says veering massively off-topic!!!

Good luck with registering your OT-90, I'm sure you'll find a way. I've stuck these 'photos up here because a few of us, me included, weren't really sure what sort of MV you've all been talking about.

ot90zd_4.jpg

ot90p01.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

In another topic we were talking about Russian vehicles. Many of them are wider than 2,55 - for example Kraz and the huge Maz. It sounds crazy armies are using them on the road, but you can't register them! I'm quite sure you don't do too many miles with your OT-90 (which by the way, is extreme, crazy machine - and I love it!). Why isn't there a special class for special construction vehicles, like ex-military?

If I ever win a lottery, I buy myself Maz for towing tracked vehicles - width is only 3 meters, own mass 24000kg, 100-200 L/100km consumption... Russians are damn crazy! And you are crazy as well! :D

Seeing these pics brings back memories of many hours spent doing AFV recognition and gunnery in Ref to 30mm shooting, as this type of veh was the main tgt that we would be using the Rarden against. Heard and given many fire orders in ref to "APC in open/on ridge".

Bazz

Why does the width issue come up? Who is letting on to who about the width? If the width is never mentioned by the owner, how do the DVLA pick up on it. We registered a Scammell Explorer for the first time last August, and the width of it never came into question. If you start volunteering information that isn't requested you are making trouble for youselves.

Why does the width issue come up? Who is letting on to who about the width? If the width is never mentioned by the owner, how do the DVLA pick up on it. We registered a Scammell Explorer for the first time last August, and the width of it never came into question. If you start volunteering information that isn't requested you are making trouble for youselves.

But what happns when they come to inspect it :???