Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humber truck

Default Humber truck

Anyone any experience/, etc for this vehicle ?
    I know the pig was based on its chassis, and a friend has got interested in one that he's found for sale;- but cannot find out much about them.
    Spares availability, etc
    Here's hopping someone out there has had something to do with them.

Andy
    lets not forget the sacrifices made, by those veteran's,so we can pursue our hobby.
    Andy

owner of 1940's morris van

Hailsham LDV/Home Guard
    Hailsham Auxillery Fire Service
    National fire Service (Oversea's)
    ARP/CD

1940's Civilian

ex owner of 1943 MWR Bedford

Supporting the work being undertaken by
    Help For Heroes.

winner, Best Medium Vehicle, Military Mayhem 2008

2. Advertisement

Default Humber truck

I have one of these myself it is decomposing in the garden. I just nick bits off it to keep the three armoured ones going. So a truck is quite a rarity, the most critical aspect is the bodywork. There are no spares for bodywork around. They have either rusted away or been chopped around for garage breakdown trucks. At least the rate of rusting on a pig is less!

So has it been dry stored, does it have original bodywork?

Does it have a hole cut in the middle of the rear floor? A few did, if it has then that would be very exciting I'll explain the significance if it has.

If you have the VRN, serial no or engine number I can give you the history.
    Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Default Humber truck

Just make sure the truck is in better condition than this one:

BTW it is for sale as it still has the front & rear axles which will fit a Pig. The front Tracta joints are the same.

Now I know that Mk1 Pigs had the stronger Chobham joints, but the Army found them to be unreliable & actually retro fitted Tracta joints from GS trucks like this.

Now if you have a Mk2 Pig you will say yes but they should have a Birfield joint. Not necessarily, there were 487 Mk2 Pigs, but only 383 of them had Birfield joints. They ran out of the special steel from Germany so there were 104 Mk2 Pigs with either Chobham or Tracta joints like this poor GS Truck.

The cost of a pig rear axle seems to be £200 upwards. You can have the GS for £100 to include all ivy & nettles. Postage extra.
    Clive Elliott

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AC, ACI, AEMI, AESP, AO, COSA, CP, CR, DCI, EMEC, EMEI, EMER, EMPL, EMPS, ER, ETS, JSP, LoC, LTI, MAOS, MRA, RAOS, REA, VAOS, WMTI, etc, Army & WO Coded publications in paper or fiche.

Default Humber truck

how would you describe the humber? looks NM...(near mint) not quite M (mint)

what would the postage be to brighton> hehe
    GMC CCKW 353 A2 Cargo

Used to own:
    Land Rover Snatch VPK 1.5 Desertised - 30 KK 29
    Humber Pig Mk1 FV1612 (flying) - 30 BK 43
    Landrover S3 Piglet HVVPK 109 - 13 HG 99
    Landrover S3 FFR 109 - 05 HH 33

Default Humber truck

Clive, Cheers for the reply. From what my mate has said, the vehicle is up and running.
    Thr majority of the (visible) rusting seems to be around the front wings and windscreens.
    Canvas rear cover is said to be in good,no holes condition. although he did say that the roof 'hatch', covers were missing. (the vehicle, at present, is stored undercover.)
    I'll ask him about the rear floor, if theres a hole, I take it ,- its a reasonable size, and can't be mistaken for a rust 'cure', patch ??
    What were these things like to drive, ? and to 'live with',
    I understand its got a rolls engine, and is of the same 'family' as the champ, although, I 'm given to understand has a larger engine.
    Is it multi fuel ?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I don't want to give the wrong info, etc

Cheers for taking the time on this.

Andy
    lets not forget the sacrifices made, by those veteran's,so we can pursue our hobby.
    Andy

Hailsham LDV/Home Guard
    ARP/CD

1940's Civilian

Help For Heroes.

Default Humber truck

I think "reverting to nature" is fairly acurate.

postage? how big is your letterbox?
    Clive Elliott

Default Humber truck

Andy

It has a Rolls Royce B60 (ie 6 cylinder) same as Ferret. Champ was B40 (ie 4 cylinder) but the pistons etc are the same.

The hole I'm interested in is about 18in square & was used for a PTO take off to drive a compressor. There were only 10 Humbers like this FV1622. They were part of the Missile Test set up for Malkara missiles. It might sound a long shot, but I know of one that is preserved, but less the compressor. Pounds yard in Portsmouth had them & they sold the compressor for charging divers air bottles as the story goes.

Check the rear to see if it had racks under the canvas that would indicate FV1621 Missile Supply Trucks I can only find evidence of nine of those.

Dead easy to drive had very good handling in the desert. Sensibly designed, solid & British. Well worth preserving if reasonably priced & not too far gone, like mine. A properly designed military vehicle rather than the others in the1-Ton class of the time (ie Austin K9 & Morris MRA1). It was not a GS, but a CT (Combat) type it was "standardised" with interchangeability. So the starter motor, dynamo, light switch, instrument panel etc was interchangeable with Ferret, Salidin, Saracen, Champ etc

Quite rare, worth having if price & condition are right.
    Clive Elliott

Default Humber truck

Cheers for that, Clive.
    Were the hatch covers canvas, or metal coverings ?
    Now the big question...................as a drivable vehicle, with, some (visible)rust, very roughly,.........whats the value ??

I'm awaitimg photo's of it, so I cant help there, and its 'op country,' sonewhat for me to go see. (mates use to land rovers, so is use to looking at chassis, and 'metal'.

Not wanting to 'put you on the spot', but the seller has, I think an idea of what he thinks its worth, so's I don't want to see him (my mate) ripped off,-or laughed at, when he makes an offer.

Again, thanks for the speedy reply.
    Andy
    Andy

Hailsham LDV/Home Guard
    ARP/CD

1940's Civilian

Help For Heroes.

Default Humber truck

Andy

The covers are metal, some were single lids some were split into two.

Ah "but the seller has, I think an idea of what he thinks its worth," well sometimes that is more than it is worth. Remember this is a public site & the seller could be watching all this with amusement! Why a vehicle always have to be 100+ miles away I just don't know!

The Humber Wireless Light FV1604 is more common than a FV1601/1602 & has more appeal as you can live in the back of it quite comfortably. I have seen a few of those appear for £4000 but seem not to sell whether they do in the end I don't know or whether they go back into the barn etc to resurface later.

Given that pigs do not sell for much as there is apparently little interest they seem to be £1500 to £2500. Yes there are more expensive ones but they seem to go unsold. I would value a complete & not rusted one in about the same bracket, a bit more if it is "just out of Ruddington sales, parked it here & never used it" Although a vehicle that hasn't been used for a long time has its own problems or refurbishment.

A seller would be bound to say that you don't see many of them in preservation & it must be worth more. That is true but there are not that many preserved because by & large people aren't interested in them, quite wrongly in my view. But it's an argument which cuts both ways in terms of value!
    Clive Elliott

Default Humber truck

Clive, cheers for that.
    No worries about the seller looking here,- if it was a 'huntin an shootin'site, I'd be a little more careful, but good point.
    I'll relay details to him,(he's a no computer person,- at present), and he can take it from there.
    Will (try)post pic's,- if he sends them.
    Thanks for all your help.
    As Jack has said,in the past, this is a friendly, helpful site; And long may it continue.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Andy

Hailsham LDV/Home Guard
    ARP/CD

1940's Civilian

Help For Heroes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast