Eager Beaver's

antarmike

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tomorrowneverdies.jpg

A scene from "Tomorrow never Dies" A post with this picture claims that this pattern Roll cage fitted to the Eager Beaver were fitted by the Army to all the Eager Beavers it still held towards the end of their service. I am not sure cos my one released in 1989 has one but the one released in 1993 does not.

Edited by antarmike

• 4 weeks later...

I have a very big soft spot for Eager Beavers. Even living in Canada it still doesnt die. One of the times i went back to the UK a few years ago I found one between Somerford Keynes and Oaksey in Gloucestershire while i was lookng for the house of an old teacher of mine.

There were artic cabs for these machines i do know. I would modify the machine without drilling new holes or welding anything new on to give best protection to operator.

Robin

• 1 month later...
I dont know whether they are plant or not, They can run on road at 40+mph and tow two trailers. I regularly use one for trips to the scrap yard cos I can unload myself...faster that way

I remember when I was on my first posting R.E.M.E Attached to 26 Engineer Regt in Germany. These vehicles were in use with the regt for unloading pallets of mines, Field engineering equipment Etc.

They even went out on Excercises with them!

I recall being very UN-enviable when we always deployed in the field for three weeks at a time on the Annual Major Manouvers.

Also always in november! Observing the drivers of these vehicles in a green waterproof jacket & Motorbike crash helmet.

It was freezing & bad enough driving 432's & 434's! I felt sorry for those guys. It must have been bone chilling!

Then I used to think, hey, if you cant take a joke, you shouldnt have joined!........:cool2:

• 8 months later...

Has anyone got an explanation of what happened here? Strangely one of the battery boxes appears to be empty. They don't seem to be in any hurry to right the vehicle. Is that bicycle wheel contraption something it was towing or did it get hit in the accident. (could it be a towed speed recorder?) It looks a bit like the E.B. is in four wheel steer. Not recommended for high speed running!

And I can't make out the design of the exhaust tailpipe. Looks like a circular disc!

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...
and another. This EOD EB I assume is remote controlled by the operator at the end of the cable in the foreground, although he seems remarkably close?

App1494.jpg

But the vehicle obviously has been lifted with a sling through the back window, from which the galss has been removed, This has to be a practice with a scrap vehicle that has been lifted from the roof in the past. No harm in being close if you put the vehicle there yourself to practice on!

The Eager Beaver appears to be beyond the car, and I cannot see the cable actually attached to the EB.

Didn't we have a post suggesting that these EB's were driven close to the suspect carrying the "wheelbarrow" which was then driven in close by remote. Are we sure the cable is going to the EB and not to a wheelbarrow out of shot?

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10336&page=4

Edited by antarmike

No harm in being close if you put the vehicle there yourself to practice on!

Yes I realise it is a set up for practicing, I just thought it would be best to practice at a greater distance, as one would be operationally. I expect in those circumstances the EB itself would have been moved to a safer distance.

The Eager Beaver appears to be beyond the car, and I cannot see the cable actually attached to the EB................ Are we sure the cable is going to the EB and not to a wheelbarrow out of shot?

I typed in haste, I don't think the cable does actually go to the EB but rather to the Wheelbarrow.

Didn't we have a post suggesting that these EB's were driven close to the suspect carrying the "wheelbarrow" which was then driven in close by remote.

That came from me. The source is a MVEE document that explains that the EB is simply to get the Wheelbarrow close to the IED over rough terrain. The EB is remotely controlled & the operator directs the vehicle by watching a TV monitor.

EBRemotea.jpg

It is not entirely clear to me what is happening in the two shots.

On both EB's there seems to be some sort of frame built up out of angle iron? that sits on the back end of he engine cover. On the photo above there seems to be some sort of cable otr the like coming down from this and hanging across the side of the engine.

I wonder if the frame lifts a cable clear of the ground at the back, and the EB can be driven remotely?

Equally there are one (or two?) cables on the side of the armoured cab in your second Photograph.

App1494.jpg

Either a cable runs from the mast area and it is then hooked up high on the side of the cab, from where it runs to the back of the vehicle (to enable the mast to be fully raised?) , or two seperate cables enter the cab, high up at this point, one coming from the mast, one from the back.

I didn't mean to insult your intelligence by saying it is obviously an exercise, but it was a comment for any lay person reading the thread, who may not have noticed, but now I am wondering if it actually a publicity photograh and the operator is close in for photograhic purposes to aid the clarity of the shot and to limit the depth of field required by the photographer?

There is no sign of a cable coming from the back of the EB.

My thinking goes if the EB has been remotely driven in, why isn't the cab closed down? Ie the side window shield is open.

It looks to me that there may be a shield over the windscreen though. I just can't make out what is happening.

Edited by antarmike

There is no sign of a cable coming from the back of the EB..................My thinking goes if the EB has been remotely driven in, why isn't the cab closed down? Ie the side window shield is open.

I have re-read the spec.

The EB is armoured for the protection of the driver & is driven normally when it is in transit. In operation the EB is then remotely controlled by cable with electrically operated controls on the steering column, a hydraulic drive with Moog valve for controlling vehicle speed & electro-hydraulic controls for the fork lift controls.

So I think you are right there is some arrangement to support a control cable at the rear. It is not employed in the lower picture as this is a demo & the EB has been driven there normally, hence the open window.

Incidentally the TV camera is very obvious on the prototype but not on the demo one.

• 2 months later...
Mike, I think you deserve a little treat for wrestling with the proposed legislation on our behalf. Hope its of interest.

App2081a.jpg

WHITE WHEEL NUTS ON RIGHT HAND THREADS ON AN IN SERVICE MILITARY VEHICLE, NOT ON SHOW FOR A PARADE.

Sorry for shouting, but this isn't supposed to happen according to a previous topic!

AS ARE ALL THE OTHER WHEEL BARROW/ REMOTE CONTROL E,B's PICTURED ON THIS PAGE.

• 1 year later...

Neat little trick that would fool anyone who had not driven on before, was to set the rear steering on a bit of lock, then set the hydraulic cocks back to front steer only. Get the novice to move it, he cannot understand why the vehicle is crabbing :-D. To be honest the machine was an abortion, it needed a bit more attention to it before it was taken into service. The wings would break off with vibration, hence why a lot are missing them. The pedal box could be destructed by folding the mast back without sideshifting to the left........at least they gave us plenty of work repairing them. :)

Richard, could you or someone remind me the uses of the 3 valves. If facing forwards i.e. back to the engine, if my memory serves me correctly, there are 2 (yellow?) valves on the left and 1 (red?) on right. In order to get 4 wheel steer, does one open both yellow and close red or? For 2 wheel steer (front) is it to close rear yellow and open front and again close red. Crab = ?