Restoration Projects.

Jack

A place to talk and record the progress of your restoration projects, the highs and the lows. What you have learnt and links to suppliers. Please fill free to post your pictures here as well.

Post away!

Cheers

Jack.

• 10 months later...

1939 Norton WD16H

I thought that I might as well start the motorcycle restorations off with a picture of the rolling chassis as first acquired and the front mudguard showing the "Crossed keys" of 2nd Infantry Division.

asfound8hz.jpg

frontmudguard1ic.jpg

I now have most parts to complete (but if anyone knows of a toolbox and a rear brake pedal...!)

My next step really needs to be to obtain a digital camera so that I can document everything before I start dismantling. Anyone have any views on what sort of quality I need for good close-up detail shots ?

Rich.

Re: Cameras

I have a Hanshing ( China ) compact 6.6MP digi and a Nikon D50 digital SLR. The SLR will focus down to almost nothing, but the compact is a bit different.

It has a macro lens switch on the side to select when taking close up pictures, and it will focus at about 6 to 12 inches range. After that, there seems to be a dead spot where it doesn't focus, approximately 12 to 24 inches, on either normal or macro settings. I have taken a photo at 2048 x 1536 pixels, and had it enlarged to 15 x 10 inches. Even at that size, it is still a respectable quality of print, without pixelation due to the enlargement.

Before you buy, have any potential cameras demonstrated at a camera shop at different ranges and see what suits your needs and pocket the best.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a picture of it as it now stands, loosely assembled.

w4216july2006ll9.th.jpg

The lack of a tool box remains the most noticeable missing item. A WD Ariel box just went on ebay for £5. Why can't Norton stuff be that cheap and available? The ironic thing is that I passed over a later Norton toolbox at Netley Marsh two years ago because I thought it was too dear at £70. I'd jump at it now !

Looks like I'm going to be back over the water for Netley marsh and Beaulieu next month.

Rich.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Prompted by Baz's progress and Joris's wish to see more motorcycles on the blogs forum, I thought I'd better show that I've been busy too.

16hmotor13108lx6.th.jpg

I don't know what the strange blue shade around the head joint is. Flash reflection on grease I suspect. There is NO silicone goo on this motor !

Baz is a step ahead of me actually but after four years of collecting parts, I don't want to rush things :-)

Rich

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Here's a picture of it as it now stands, loosely assembled.

w4216july2006ll9.th.jpg

The lack of a tool box remains the most noticeable missing item. A WD Ariel box just went on ebay for £5. Why can't Norton stuff be that cheap and available? The ironic thing is that I passed over a later Norton toolbox at Netley Marsh two years ago because I thought it was too dear at £70. I'd jump at it now !

Looks like I'm going to be back over the water for Netley marsh and Beaulieu next month.

Rich.

Apparently I've been taking my time with this one. Perhaps I just like autojumbling and researching too much ? The plan was to have it ready for the 70th anniversary of the BEF retreat to the coast in 1940 but it's not really shaken down enough yet.

I shall at least try to get down to the Dyle Line before the end of the month.

15440.jpg

It's leaning against a genuine period Belgian gate, although not the proper 'cointet' type. I shall have to look further afield for one of those.