AEC Militant MK 3 Gallery

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is the Duxford Militant. She's known as Nellie. Nellie was used by a Circus to help with their elephant, but the elephant died and the militant found a new home at the museum. She's named after the elephant.

Nellie is a working vehicle and is used all over the museum. She's the society's baby, and gets lots of attention. She's also used for driver training, and this photo was taken when I learned how to drive her. I want one for home now.... :)

DSCF4651_small.jpg

Edited by Lauren Child
Changed URL for picture

This one was owned by East Sussex County Council and driven by John Rebbeck, it is shown towing Forceful when he was Petrol powered, not because he was broken down but because John always prefers to arrive at W & P with something dangling :-D

John now owns it and what was once green became blue, and then good taste prevailed and it is now green again :thumbsup:

tow4.jpg

Edited by gritineye

This is the Duxford Militant. She's known as Nellie. Nellie was used by a Circus to help with their elephant, but the elephant died and the militant found a new home at the museum. She's named after the elephant.

Nellie is a working vehicle and is used all over the museum. She's the society's baby, and gets lots of attention. She's also used for driver training, and this photo was taken when I learned how to drive her. I want one for home now.... :)

DSCF4651_small.jpg

Nellie the Militant stowed her crane

and said goodbye to the circus

off she drove with a bumpety bump

bump bump bump

Nellie the militant packed her gear

and trundled off to Duxford

bump bump bump

Sorry, couldn't resist :-D

bump bump bump

bump bump bump

That's fantastic - I'll have to take it in and pin it on the noticeboard.

bump bump bump

bump bump bump

Stupid boy!:pfrt:

• 1 month later...

That's very interesting ! I'm sure you must be right as the caption that accompanied this photograph, which is from a book published in 1976, reads, "AEC Militant, MK 3 (6 x 6) Cargo Truck undergoing trials". There is no hint in the text as to what kind of trials this truck was involved in. I can remember seeing a beautifully restored MK.3 truck a few years ago which I assume is still around. You don't see many about.

Judging by the fact the Winscreen wiper is on the Rght, and the right hand door window is wound down, I would say it prooves the MkIII cargo WAS built in a RHD Model.. Can't see through the window, there is a hint of a steering wheel. Is the Master any clearer?

Does the cupola on the left side of cab mean it IS RHD?

Judging by the fact the Winscreen wiper is on the Rght, and the right hand door window is wound down, I would say it prooves the MkIII cargo WAS built in a RHD Model.. Can't see through the window, there is a hint of a steering wheel. Is the Master any clearer?

Does the cupola on the left side of cab mean it IS RHD?

This MkIII is RHD. Apart from the clues you have mentioned, on the original photograph in the book, the steering wheel and driver's hands can be made out on the right with the passenger side, on the left, unoccupied.