A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aec-militant-recovery-truck-/271026645466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1a7269da

looks like another one is going suffer the fate of clean scrap x 10 ton. Thought the saga of this one was over for a bit, but looks like it might become the militant version of that bloody ferret that's always up for sale :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aec-militant-recovery-truck-/271026645466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1a7269da

looks like another one is going suffer the fate of clean scrap x 10 ton. Thought the saga of this one was over for a bit, but looks like it might become the militant version of that bloody ferret that's always up for sale :(

I'd keep watching it, it seems to get cheaper each time it changes hands. Eventually a proper keeper will get it

I thought i should post this for any of you Militant owners who may want it .

I have found a really nice looking Militant Wrecker . Chassis is is absulutly stunning . looks like its been sandblasted and then sprayed in red, The cab is half decent as well. The Bloke wants £4000 for it .

PM me if any one is interested

boomboom

• 11 months later...

It's the wrong time of year again, and I've just tested my Militant and it's failed on a front wheel bearing. Not a major drama getting the bearings, £198 for the two wheel bearings, £120 for the top swivel one (ouch!), but does anyone have spare shims or know if anyone can still supply them for the wheel bearings and the swivels? It's a 6 x 6 version.

There used to be adverts in CMV, but the 01200 numbers don't work any more, are they still contactable?

Thanks, Jules

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Bit of a hair raiser for the driver of that white car!

Yep! The tanker was being towed on a straight bar a short distance after breaking down on the autobahn. Thinking it would just be a short distance the drivers didn't bother with any air lines. The slip road off the autobahn was a whole lot steeper than they expected, the front truck overbraked and the tanker flew straight past, snapping the towing eye off as it went. It careered off down the road picking up a passing merc as it went.

Only the merc upholstery would tell the full story. No-one was hurt. Note the H&S conscious driver has put out a single dry powder extinguisher just in case.

• 1 month later...

Selection of photos from the AEC show at Newark 2014

Setting Off 1.jpg

This is us just setting off at 3 in the morning. Leave Sittingbourne at 3AM arrive Newark (180 miles away) just after 9.30 but we did have a long stop at Peterborough Services on the A1. They do a nice breakfast there.

375 UXK 2.jpg

375 UXK.jpg

Parked up and bar-B-Que going, what it's all about

Weather 2.jpg

Dark clouds came on so quick, one minute we were standing around having a beer and a burger, next everyone hiding in tents etc as it chucked it down all night!

Militant Mk1 6x4 Cargo 1.jpg

A guy called John Hanna has just acquired this one. he complains it seems to be lacking power up hills and he only gets 5 or 6 to the gallon. Needless to say he was planning a major inspection of the fuel system. Didn't seem to happy when I said I can get 10 to the gallon from mine.

Militant Mk1 6x4 Cargo 2.jpg

He has raised the roof and extended the canopy so that he can fit the caravan in the back.

Militant Mk1 Embarrassment.jpg

Everyone was looking at this in disbelief! It's creators should have been done for cruelty to Militants. Used as a wrecker, the whole thing looks like it was invented out of some bits they found in the shed

Militant Mk 1 B&C.jpg

In fact the roof looks like it was made from the shed. I'm sure that is roofing felt they've got on top there

• 1 month later...

Militant before collection by low loader for trip to 214 Battery 150th Anniversary in Worcester

14972321792_9457e04b96_b.jpgUntitled by busandcoachpainters, on Flickr

On the low loader (obviously)

14786123357_b5526bc5e8_b.jpgUntitled by busandcoachpainters, on Flickr

Perhaps someones future vehicle?

14785985270_69f48e3975_b.jpgUntitled by busandcoachpainters, on Flickr

At First Bus Worcester, assembly point before the parade

14969568271_1b6aac0e21_b.jpgUntitled by busandcoachpainters, on Flickr

End of the parade, back at the R.A. garages

14785927640_47fe6aa8af_b.jpgMilitant Worcester by busandcoachpainters, on Flickr

Edited by Simon Daymond

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94125[/ATTACH]

Everyone was looking at this in disbelief! It's creators should have been done for cruelty to Militants. Used as a wrecker, the whole thing looks like it was invented out of some bits they found in the shed

Pretty typical of a lot of Mat and Mil recovery trucks though, particularly bus company service vehicles. Some of them end up looking really nice and some - well, like the back end of a bus.

• 11 months later...

Self help. Using the Atlas crane to bust the tyres off the split rims that they have been on for all their time until now. Rusted rims = very stuck tyres when they have 2" beads. Joy! A good half day to remove and refit on the correct wheel. All worth it in the end as it passed it's M.O.T. 2 days later. Phew!

Jules

Apologies for the picture orientation.

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

• 2 months later...