A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

Rob, the other Matador in the picture is in fact a Douglas, that and the Field Marshal belong to the guy we bought the Militant from. He had loads of interesting old stuff in his place.

I have just found the chassis number and its 0860209, can you give me any idea of it's age?

I have looked at your timber wagon restoration and found loads of good tips, I've just started on the tanker blog

Bob

I have just found the chassis number and its 0860209, can you give me any idea of it's age?

Bob

I can do better than that, mate, your lucks in with this one. Mine is 2 up from yours at 0860 211 which would suggest the Military Reg No for yours would be 01 BP 58.

Anyway it left the factory February/March 1955, if you PM me an Email address I can send you a copy of the factory build sheet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Had they advertised it for spares they most likely would have made more money than they got in scrap. Sometimes you have to wonder at the mentality of those operating breakers yards.

While so sad to see irreplaceable parts lost for ever unless quickly sold as one lot the value of the space occupied and the time dealing with enquires has to be factored in too.

• 3 weeks later...
That video was painful to watch :'( maybe she'll be recycled into metal sheet to be used to restore other Militant's ? I hope.....

Whilst I agree that it is a waste, when such a lovely truck could have been ripe for restoration, it has to be recognised that there wouldn't be enough takers for all the old vehicles if they were offered up anyway. Also, at the risk of being called a heretic, I couldn't help admire the grab operator's skill with his machine. I imagine he's ripped many trucks apart in his time.

Steve.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/27/2009 at 7:30 PM, nptimber said:

A.E.C Militant mk1 winch tractor ,Boughton 533f/s winch ex Fowler challenger .Land anchor ex land drainage machine . Winch sub frame ex Wetherhill loading shovel chassis . Built 1952? as 14 ft wheelbase 6x4 tractor w/winch sold 1972 to Grampian council converted to 6x6 using parts from an accident damaged 0860 militant ,used in the western isles until late 1980s ,sold at adt auction peterborough to Paul Harwin March Cambs restored as flat bed lorry, sold at Donington Auctions 1990 to Hathern boat services and then sold to David Crouch Kibworth ,was going to Bongoland to haul away the rainforest:argh: but bought by me and converted to winch tractor 😄

SSA29K.jpg

Do you know where this is now? 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...