• 1 month later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112082[/ATTACH]

UPDATE

I have been informed by The Yorkshire Wartime Experience that to date 28 entries have been confirmed for the Diamond T 75th anniversary celebrations. The entries represent all models with the exception of the 975 pontoon truck. If anyone knows of one of these rare animals in the UK please pass on the event details and contact information.

Details for the event can be found on http://www.ywe-event.info.

The original target was to top 15 vehicles. We are delighted to see we could well double this figure.

For those still interested in attending there is still time to submit an entry.

This will without a doubt be the biggest gathering of Diamond T's and is unlikely to ever be equalled. Expect some seriously impressive pictures on this thread after the event!

Cheers,

Adrian.

UPDATE

I have been informed by The Yorkshire Wartime Experience that to date 28 entries have been confirmed for the Diamond T 75th anniversary celebrations. The entries represent all models with the exception of the 975 pontoon truck. If anyone knows of one of these rare animals in the UK please pass on the event details and contact information.

Details for the event can be found on www.ywe-event.info.

The original target was to top 15 vehicles. We are delighted to see we could well double this figure.

For those still interested in attending there is still time to submit an entry.

This will without a doubt be the biggest gathering of Diamond T's and is unlikely to ever be equalled. Expect some seriously impressive pictures on this thread after the event!

Cheers,

Adrian.

As I understood vehicle entries were closed 04/04/16, at least that is what was posted on here, below are details from the horses mouth.....so to speak.

Military Vehicle Bookings are now closed !!

Im pleased to say weve recieved 504 Military Vehicles, are entered into this year's show. Public camping is available, at a cost of £55 for four inc tickets to enter the show Look on our website for further details http://www.ywe-event.info By clicking onto the booking button.

To name a few vehicles Entered

Original ww2 German Stug 111D

23 X Daimond Ts

10 X Daimler Dingos

68 X Wartime British Vehicles

57 X Pieces of Armour

4 X ww1 Vehicles

cheers

stuart

Edited by gas 44

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, i'm new to the Daimond T world, but I have come across a 1942 980 here in nz which may be for sale, I have been told it came from the pacific campaign and was set up as a dumptruck when it arrived here with one other the same,

it is in pretty bad shape and is only a rolling chassis with cab only, has no engine/gbox/ bonnet or rad, or L/h door, is this worth saving ? and could the missing parts be found at prices that would make shipping down here an option?

I don't think many turned up down here, maybe in Australia theres parts available? appreciate any advice negative or positive,

cheers mike.

Hi Mike

it will cost a lot to rebuild the truck as your missing a lot and you got to consider your axles are bad as i pulled the diffs on mine and they were so bad they were going to cost £1800 just in parts to put them right.

the Australian army had a lot of 980's so you may find parts in oz, i know a chap here in the UK who has nos steering boxes, complete new front axle, new front spring assemblies etc.

any vehicle can be saved the question is are you fully committed to saving it?

my dt 980 is in the restoration section "another dt980 restoration" and though it was complete is was fubar all the way through the only good bit was the front bumper!

i wish you best of luck with the truck and hope you save her and i am happy to help as best i can.

regards sam

Thanks Neville and Sam, yes its a decision I need to make soon as it will be scrapped otherwise, and even though it wont actually cost a lot to buy and move home, its really a matter of the economics, a few others have looked at it and walked away, the owner reckons these were the only two purchased by the nz army, so even if a few more were imported later on theres really no chance finding parts down here, and now that you mention it sam there is one axle missing from the left side of the front diff, so maybe that diff is buggered ?? i'll attach some pictures of the sad looking DT, seems a shame to see it scrapped, but doesn't look good for the DT, many thanks,

cheers mike.

IMG00014.jpg

IMG00020.jpg

IMG00017.jpg

IMG00019.jpg

IMG00013.jpg

i think she is beyond saving mike but the jewel is that cab because to some one restoring a truck with a bad cab that would be a project saver and the steering box, half shafts, wheels even the chequer plate running boards they are all parts with value and would all be worth good money certainly here in the UK and main land europe were there are a number of T's being restored.

i don't know what the owner wants for it but if it is only scrap value i would have it and basically strip the parts from it as that chassis is no good and either keep the parts and wait for a more complete 980 or sell them on to fund a better project.

my hard cab was scrap on my truck and was lucky to be offered a really good replacement, but hard cab's are running out really fast know i only know of 2 other hard cabs in europe.

you can't save them all but there are parts there that will help save other trucks.

regards sam

just another thing Mike could you get the trucks chassis number?

as there is a dt register and it would be nice to add the trucks info to it.

the number will begin with either 980..... or 981.....

if it is not on the info plate on the drivers side of the scuttle it will be stamped on the right hand chassis rail to the right of the front axle rear spring hanger, in big digits.

regards sam

just another thing Mike could you get the trucks chassis number?

as there is a dt register and it would be nice to add the trucks info to it.

the number will begin with either 980..... or 981.....

if it is not on the info plate on the drivers side of the scuttle it will be stamped on the right hand chassis rail to the right of the front axle rear spring hanger, in big digits.

regards sam

I was told of this DT some time ago, and I think there were only two Diamond T's in New Zealand, the person to contact with the plate info is Adrian mason who has an immaculate 980. I did have a copy of the Register not sure if I still have it or not. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Dizzy-t

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to you all, here's some photos of an ex Groom and Llewellyn of Bridgend Diamond T 980. It's one of a pair they had, this one Rolls powered, the other was still Hercules. My brother Tony and I bought this truck in a partly dismantled state about 25 miles away from our home in Cornwall back in January but only got it back to our yard last week. It took a few trips back and forth over the last few months to get the thing mobile as we had to drive it about a mile and a half from the farm where it's been for the last few years to a lay-by where we could load it on to a mates low-loader. If anyone is interested I can post more photos and restoration updates as and when bits get done. Cheers for now Lee.attachment.php?attachmentid=127312&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127313&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127314&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127315&stc=1

IMG_20170701_121801.jpg

IMG_20170701_094718.jpg

IMG_20170701_121835.jpg

IMG_20170701_121933.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yes, we are interested!

That cab is a work of art but probably saved the truck from being scrapped as I would guess tin worm got the original one.

Hi rog8811, you're dead right, I have spoken to Ron Groom who sold both trucks around twenty five years ago and he said they had a local firm build the new cab when the original hard cab got too rough. I'm hoping to find a scrap hard cab to use as a pattern to build a new one as this one is now quite rotten and not the prettiest thing on earth. Thanks for the interest, cheers Lee.

Edited by Leedt980

• 4 weeks later...
Watneys Brewery Diamond T.

Ross

attachment.php?attachmentid=55602&stc=1

Dear Ross,

My name is Sarah and I am a researcher for a TV series called Highway Thru Hell. We are working on a special episode on the evolution of heavy rescue and I came across your photo and I would love to potentially use it in our show! Do you personally own the photo?

Please call me at 604 688 3937 extension 146 or email me at schow@greatpacifictv.com

Thank you!

Sarah