"Free" Classic War Movie DVD's in "Daily Mail"

6 X 6

As well as being our foremost source of information in regard to how illegal aliens are undermining our once great nation, the "Daily Mail" newspaper is now performing another valuable service by giving away "free" war movie DVD's. For the next couple of weeks, if you buy a copy of the paper and redeem the coupon within at Tesco, or WH Smith, you get a "free" DVD. There appears to be about a dozen DVD's in the collection, all worth having, including "I Was Monty's Double", "In Which We Serve" and "Reach For The Sky" in which, if I remember correctly, there is an excellent shot of a Crossley Q4 delivering aircraft parts loaded onto it's Tasker "Queen Mary" trailer. One last thing, the DVD's are region 2.

I've heard that as well, although you can hardly believe it. Personally, I love seeing the street scenes in these films just to see what was around at the time. Post war films are just as interesting with so much demobbed stuff on the roads in 1950's, often with wondrous home made bodies.

There are some classics - but the likes of Return to the River Kwai hardly stand out as essential. As an employee of the gutter press for thirty odd years I have nothing but antipathy to the modern media. Jaded, you might say. These packages are fine, but chuck the papers away... all of them. The Mail recently gave us the classic WW1 documentary series which I got by proxy. Meanwhile The Sun (where I sit at this very muinute) only worries about Pete Docherty....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MB

Don't knock the Sun ! A a self employed driver attached to TNT I made good money hauling Sun, Times and NOW out of Wapping. What better way to spend Saturday night than pulling out of the N.I. plant at 23:30 with a fully laden artic and someone else paying for the diesel ?

Actually, quite a few things might have been better now I think about it, oh well.

No, I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Broxbourne yet...... I was at Wapping

two weeks ago. It was like a ghost town. In a way, I used to quite like going to Wapping, driving across London in the rush hour on the way in and then driving in the early hours (illegally, due to weight and length) across London on the way out, usually on the way to SW England or S. Wales. The best thing about Wapping was the canteen. Having the stomach ache and feeling sick all the way back was an excellent way of keeping awake on the motorway.

"I Was Monty's Double"

My aunt served during the war. It wasn't until she died that I clicked that she and I had served in the same Corps, RAPC.

She was based at Regimental Pay Office Leicester and M. E. Clifton-James was her boss.

Small world.