Scammell Pioneer Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Afternoon all,

I have a question for anyone who has taken the heads off their Pioneer.

How did you get a torque wrench on the head nuts under the decompressor shaft to do them up again? Apparently there is a special tool, but its £75 + VAT from Gardner Marine.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Richard

Hi Richard,

When doing my heads I put one end of the spanner over the bolt, then used a hex socket in the other end and use my torque wrench to torque the bolt through the spanner? There is a conversion for the torque rating relating to the length of the spanner, or centre of head stud to centre of Hex Socket. Can,t remember what it is . Sure it is on this Forum somewhere.

Bryan

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 7:54 AM, 70HONEYMONSTER said:

Hi Richard,

When doing my heads I put one end of the spanner over the bolt, then used a hex socket in the other end and use my torque wrench to torque the bolt through the spanner? There is a conversion for the torque rating relating to the length of the spanner, or centre of head stud to centre of Hex Socket. Can,t remember what it is . Sure it is on this Forum somewhere.

Bryan

Where:

• M1 is the torque setting of the wrench
  • M2 is the actual torque applied to the nut
  • L1 is the normal length of the wrench
  • L2 is the extended length of the wrench

M1 = M2 x L1 / L2

This works where the extension is inline with the torque wrench.

There's also a set of calculators at: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_main_en.asp    , for the more awkward setups.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:48 PM, eben75 said:

please  what is the scammell pioneer 80 tonner? is there another name? is there any pictures ? where could I find more détails on this version? thank you very much

The Scammell 80 tonner is post war civilian tractor unit used by heavy haulers. It resembles the tank transporter 

Hu05369.jpg

50 minutes ago, Niels v said:

The Scammell 80 tonner is post war civilian tractor unit used by heavy haulers. It resembles the tank transporter 

Hu05369.jpg

I can just about remember massive ships engines coming out of Kincaid's in Greenock for Scotts or Lithgows shipyards towed by these units.  It would be late 60's I suppose but they used Pickford's with Scammell tractors. I'm sure there must be pictures of them around. To a kid they looked absolutely enormous.

Iain

Comical to think they only had 112bhp from a 6LW, about the same as a modern 600cc sports bike.

They were so low geared that when Sunters used theirs to assist two other tractors with the Bradwell boilers the Pioneer started in 2nd gear while the others used 1st. Top speed was 18mph.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

..... does anyone know anything about this one ? - it is the one that my mates dad had when I was growing up, it was used for clearing hedges and pulling stumps and was shown at vintage events in SE Cornwall in the late 70s and early 80s - I found out today that is at the Cornwall at War museum on the old Davidstow airfield in NE Cornwall - found this and a few more pics searching for Davidstow Museum on a Google images search - looks like a non standard crane ?

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, rowehillmaster said:

..... does anyone know anything about this one ? - it is the one that my mates dad had when I was growing up, it was used for clearing hedges and pulling stumps and was shown at vintage events in SE Cornwall in the late 70s and early 80s - I found out today that is at the Cornwall at War museum on the old Davidstow airfield in NE Cornwall - found this and a few more pics searching for Davidstow Museum on a Google images search - looks like a non standard crane ?

image.jpeg

It looks like a tank transporter tractor by its wheelbase and extended cab.

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2009 at 9:41 PM, nptimber said:

Herman now lives with my pioneer as he was bought by my brother a couple of years ago to save him from being scrapped. He looks to have had a very hard life as the chassis is bent in front of the crane and at one time the front drawbar hook has been snapped off ,the pto on the gearbox has been broken off possibly caused by letting the clutch out while the winch was unwinding after winching in. But apart from its battle scars its got lots of potential and if live to 120 and win the lottery it might get restored one day.!!

do you still have it?  and if so did you restore it?

• 1 year later...