Matador Gallery

I'm posting these pictures in the hope that it might encourage Antarmike to post a few more pictures - the poor guy must be gutted after all that work, and through no one's fault on here.

Come on Mike, you must be aware there were a lot of us hovering by the computer screen at around that "Matador of the Day" time of the evening. I for one am getting the shakes - withdrawal symptoms - please help.........

Scrapyard01.jpg

Scrapyard02.jpg

Scrapyard03.jpg

Scrapyard04.jpg

This Mat was restored a couple of years ago by its' owner, Mike Gilbert, in Dorset.

Antarmike posted a picture of it unrestored and in need of TLC, any chance of posting it again Mike?

It had a mostly green cab with a wooden headboard and some red on bits of the cab. The giveaway that it was the same one was a v shaped metal frame with bits sticking off, on the drivers side a bit behind the cab.

This is how it looks now.

mymatadoronthebaileybriby4.jpg

I have a question about the Matadors that I m curious to know ....in the photo of the R.B.Bates and the one of Henley's and in the above #28 post which by the is the first I ve seen with the cable actually being run forward , there appears a set of twin levers on either side of the radiator .What are they connected to or what do they do???????

I have a question about the Matadors that I m curious to know ....in the photo of the R.B.Bates and the one of Henley's and in the above #28 post which by the is the first I ve seen with the cable actually being run forward , there appears a set of twin levers on either side of the radiator .What are they connected to or what do they do???????

The winch was mounted halfway down the chassis, and could be fed backwards or forwards. There was a set of rollers on the passenger side of the radiator.

Re winching forward the Cassis view I posted shows the route the winch rope takes to the front. Although the winch is in the middle of the chassis it always comes out at the rear between the two closely spaced pulley wheels that lie towards the offside of the vehicle, but when winching out the front it is apssed round the pully on the nearside rear corner of the chassis, thence over various guide brackets o get it past the airtank and the exhaust before coming out of two vertical rollers on the front on early Matadors or a cage witht wo horizontal and two Vertical rollers on later Mats.

04-03-2008190851largeplan.jpg

The levers either side of the radiator are probably the Cab springing. The chassis is very flexible and the cab is rigidly mounted at the rear onto brackets on the chassis, but at the front the cab rests on plates, and there are twin bolts which pass throughtwo more plates rivetted or bolted to the cab, The bolts aren't tightened down rigidly, but only enough to partially compress fairly strong springs which under normal road use keep the cab in contact with the chassis, but in extreme off road conditions as the chassis twists, one or other corner of the cab can lift, compressing tfurther these springs, but preventing it from tearing itself apart,

I found that when I was using my Matador off road, loading trees onto my pole trailer with the jib, that everso often the horn cable would be trapped between these two plates, and I had to drive a wheel up on a log, to open up a gap to get the cable out again!

Whoever recabbed this one didn't understand the principle, because the front of the cab is left flexibly nounted, but the lower edge of the front wings are bolted to the new bumper that is rigid with the chassis!

09-04-2008085207.jpg

What a SHAME,...re the already posted Mat pics;.........

Just have to post them again, Mike.............LOL; (pleeeeease)

On the score of surviving matadors, how easy is it to identify details from a chassis no ??

Andy

I haven't been keeping records up to date, but I can cross reference chassis number to quite a lot of Military and civilian registrations, and previous owners, but I haven't had the time to keep these listings up to date, the currency of my dated was lost in about 1995-6 but I have reasonable records up to that point.

The trouble with putting the photos back online is that I am going to have to go back to the original each time to check that I am giving acknowledgment to those people who have been kind enough to give permission to use photos they hold copyright on,

I have pulled photos out of many diffeernt albums, copied and posted them and put them back. Finding them again will need a lot of time and effort.

03-04-2008185503.jpg

03-04-2008185736.jpg

03-04-2008190338.jpg

02-04-2008195216-1.jpg

07-03-2008202302.jpg

These are easy, noone has claimed copyright for these...