Scammell Explorer Gallery

Mine was ex RAF too, a mk1 from RAF Kinloss which was originally blue, then yellow and IRR when transferred to REME.

It was modified to take a snow plough and had provision for a pair of high level headlamps bolted to the brush guard. The cab was double skinned and also had the heater unit with pipes to duct air to the windscreen and interior.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was ex RAF too, a mk1 from RAF Kinloss which was originally blue, then yellow and IRR when transferred to REME.

It was modified to take a snow plough and had provision for a pair of high level headlamps bolted to the brush guard. The cab was double skinned and also had the heater unit with pipes to duct air to the windscreen and interior.

Mike,

We had a second ex RAF Explorer - 43BT27. I remember that we rubbed it down and red leaded it before giving a top coat of Deep Bronze Green. Painted the cab out with Eau de Nil to brighten it up a bit. Shortly after however, it bit the dust with a busted rear axle (unfortunately a common problem with our Explorers).

I once seen an Explorer done out with de-misters and a proper heating system. Every year the Army used to go on a winter exercise in Norway and all the vehicles taking part were "winterised". I was in the tyre bay at Stirling workshops and the fitter was busy fitting metal studs into the tyres of the vehicles taking part. He told me about the Scammell being kitted out with a heater - I had a look at it in the workshop - loads of flexible stainless steel ducting fitted across the inside of the roof and de-misters above the windows. I would have loved to have that Explorer - our de-mister was an old rag and we were frozen during the winter.

I learnt to drive Explorers on a Mk1 - 35BC61. It didn't have the hill holder handbrake (if I remember correctly it had a transmission brake which was none too effective). The guy teaching me how to drive it had a big 'ol "D" shackle - he would ratchet up the handbrake and when he was ready to drive off he would get the bite-point on the clutch and smack the brass button on top of the handbrake with the shackle - not pretty but it worked for him! 35BC61 ended it's life in the bone-yard at Stirling workshops sitting alongside another Mk. 1 35BC46 - we robbed parts off them for a couple of years before they disappeared.

Regards - David

43bt27.jpg

35bc61.jpg

From what I can see the BC ones are from the very first batch in 1950 that had a transmission brake as a left over from Pioneer days.

The BT signifies receipts from another service but I'm sure you know that anyway.

The maximum towed weight for an Explorer was just 16t, I suspect that was exceeded on a regular basis giving the rear axle a hard time.

• 2 weeks later...
Where and when was the bus being railed from? Glasgow area?

The Lowmac is very similar to one that we have at Newbridge as part of our fleet.

25ton capacity so the bus should be well within limits.

Decking should be Oak planking.

Railed from Dumbarton Central station to Ruddington - mid 70's. Easy job getting them on (though the ground clearance is a bit tight). Harder job getting the chocks in and nailed down and the chains on.

Regards - David

Wasn't Strachans another bodybuilder or was that only on the SB3 ?

They were but I can't recall if they made VAS etc. bodies.

Judging by the shape of the missing radiator grille on the first one I assume it's one of those that had the grille that was like a panel with lots of small square punched holes in, which IIRC was on several different bodies on VAS and SB

Last two that style I know of coming out of the MoD were VASs LAA 541L and LAA 543L, which were used as test vehicles at RAE. Both had jacks / stabilisers etc. like the office trailers and were subsequently converted to campers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This photo appeared in my local paper this week. Although it is common knowledge that 'an army lorry' once fell from the bridge into the River Tees this is the first time I have seen any photos. Nice to see that they allowed the public such a close view of the winching!

Scammel.jpg