Fordson Thames

thedawnpatrol

I have been offered a Ford (fordson) Thames truck, I have not seen it yet, it needs work,

It is 5 miles away and the guy wants to give it away.

Not sure what age, I think 1940's.

The big question is, do I want one ? could it be a 'Military vehicle'? were they used by the forces & if so what could I paint it up as?

Jules

That would be the old E83W model - one of Dagenham's products built between 1937 and 1957. Don't think the MoD ever used them (although I could be wrong here - if they did then The RAF are the most likely).

They were used during the war by the support org's as ambulances, fire tenders with the AFS and notably as mobile canteens operated by the Y.M.C.A., Sally Annes, ToC H, and as Emergency Food Vans

If you go for it you might want to have a look here http://www.e83w.co.uk/ - usefull for info, locating spares etc.

From what i understand a lot of these trucks were pressed into service during the war for many different roles. This one pictured below (Fordson Thames 7V, 1939) that belongs to friend of mine is a pre war truck that was then used by the MOD during the war and then AFS before being flogged off as surplus afterwards.

It has since been restored back to the Cargo spec over many years! She is a V8 model, sounds lovely ;-) and cable brakes RULE :tup:

I have been offered a Ford (fordson) Thames truck, I have not seen it yet, it needs work,

It is 5 miles away and the guy wants to give it away.

Not sure what age, I think 1940's.

The big question is, do I want one ? could it be a 'Military vehicle'? were they used by the forces & if so what could I paint it up as?

Jules

If its a Ford Thames it might be one of these,

http://www.jedsite.info/transport-tango/tango/thames_series/thames-series.html

Be nice if it was.

The Fordson Thames was the name given for the commercial vehicles from late 30's through to the mid 50's. This could be a 7V forward control truck from late 1938-9 as in the attached photo taken at the Dorset Steam Fair. There were a few of these used in the Forces in support roles at home and mainly seen as tippers. Then in the early 1950's, a bonneted Fordson Thames ET series, these were used in small numbers in the army as 3 ton GS transport, but survivors often found are ex-Civil Defence vehicles that were used then put in to storage before being disposed of years later.

The Fordson Thames was the name given for the commercial vehicles from late 30's through to the mid 50's. This could be a 7V forward control truck from late 1938-9 as in the attached photo taken at the Dorset Steam Fair. There were a few of these used in the Forces in support roles at home and mainly seen as tippers. Then in the early 1950's, a bonneted Fordson Thames ET series, these were used in small numbers in the army as 3 ton GS transport, but survivors often found are ex-Civil Defence vehicles that were used then put in to storage before being disposed of years later.

That looks like a wartime production 7V as it has the smaller headlamps and mesh radiator grill instead of the pressed steel type. Lovely trucks

Baz

That would be the old E83W model - one of Dagenham's products built between 1937 and 1957. Don't think the MoD ever used them (although I could be wrong here - if they did then The RAF are the most likely).

I have seen a photo taken in Reading in 1945 showing an E83W van with MAP markings (Ministry of Aircraft Production).

An artic Fordson 7V was used by Montgomery in 1944 as a map trailer, and is now owned by the Imperial War Musem. I beleive it is on display in Duxford.

Jules, it's free! I think I've a photo somewhere of something very similar as a fuel bowser. Servicing a Me 109 in Gurnersey! At the very least it deserves saving, something like this probably ended up as a home Gaurd vehicle if nothing else. My Mother's old boss told me when he first joined up he drove a Pickfords pantecnicon truck the paint was slooped on and you could still read the name through it. the other joy was when in convoy and a low bridge was met, everyone stopped while he had to find the way around.

From memory I have seen at least one 7w barrage baloon winch truck and one royal navy marked e83w and like everybody else says dont look a gift horse in the mouth get the truck and worry what you are going to do with it later on ,someone is going to want it even it turns out to be fit for spares only it may help keep another on the road

Nigel

All true. Someone will want it. They are lovely trucks and there are not so many around. It would always be nice to see one of the plain grey official motors used by the civil authorities in war time - the demolition units etc. Don't think this model was used in any front line WD capacity, but there will be some role for it.

Jules, Are you around tomorrow?? Might be in your area. I've sent Tobin a txt to see if he's about.

Re this truck. The boys are right - grab it!! Figure it out later. My experience with my civi Morris 10/4 is that is great to have something which isn't going to end being finished in OD!!!

Simon