Jerry Can

Mark

Question

British jerrycans with a date 1990 or before (ie before UN rules applied) were:

Capacity: 4 1/2 imp gallons

Dimensions: 18 3/4 in x 13 3/8 in x 6 1/2 in

Weight: Empty 9 1/2 lb. Filled (average depending on liquid density) appx 45 lb

Thank you Clive nice bit of information.

All that sort of stuff is usually found in the back of books like Admin in the Field, Admin in the Corps etc very useful source of info eg at a glance you can see that a 3-Ton lorry can carry 675 gallons in jerrycans of petrol or 620 gallons filled with water or 400 empty jerrycans! etc etc or a 3-ton lorry can carry 8,960 ration packs consisting of 224 cases of 22.5 lb cases of biscuits or 15,600 empty sandbags & so it goes on :schocked:

So called 'jerrycans' were originally an Italian design picked up by the Germans and then by the British to replace the awful 2 and 4 gallon 'flimsies' used in the early war years.

The British and Germans used the clamp top and when the Yanks got in on the act they used the screw top. A spout is available for both types but are not interchangeable.

It is OK to use any type of can on any vehicle as cans of any manufacture were used by all the combatants. This is a massive subject to study all on its own.

So called 'jerrycans' were originally an Italian design picked up by the Germans and then by the British to replace the awful 2 and 4 gallon 'flimsies' used in the early war years.

The British and Germans used the clamp top and when the Yanks got in on the act they used the screw top. A spout is available for both types but are not interchangeable.

It is OK to use any type of can on any vehicle as cans of any manufacture were used by all the combatants. This is a massive subject to study all on its own.

So if I read this correct, a clamp type one which I assume as "modern" is Ok to use on a WW2 vehicle ??

it depends if your referring to the clamp style on an offset small rectangular spout thats WW2 British or German which would be correct for the period . A screw type cover with rounded lugs centrally located is WW2 American but if its straight lugged screw type would be post WW2 war or if its large round mouth with cam or clamp style its WW2 American Water can. there is also the question of the air vent tube on inside back of the small spout as to its being WW2 German or without British But I could be wrong on that detail .

I know one guy who has a wermacht jerry can on his jeep. His Father stole it from the Germans during the Occupation. A lot of war time photos show captured bit's and pieces in use by all sides so why worry?

Interestingly and as we know - the Jerry can was named after we found them discarded in North Africa by the Jerry's........but were in fact an Italian concept.

Strange i did not know that the HF`s came from Africa :-D :-D

Joking aside... there was an uproar several years ago when it was believed that the German government was trying to claim copyright payments from the Allied governments for using their ideas with out permission :schocked:

But from what i can gather they were trying to patent the rubber seal in the cap because due to wartime shortages, these were made by using the resin from crushed cherry pips

rather than rubber. I belive the germans nicknamed them `cherry cans` the Allies chaned this to `jerry cans`

Ashley

The French made them as well post war I think these usually have an air bleed pipe inside the nozzle and have 20L stamped on them. I found one of these for my Hotchkiss at an autojumble in Scotland. There is also a website dedicated to Jerry cans of all makes and country of origin but I cant remember the address

Centurion