LAST RUN FOR A WW1 TANK?

N.O.S.

Same type, but much larger?

Bov's got ,MkI, II, IV, V** (elongated version, to cross wider trenches) & a MkVIII, plus a MkIX Troop Carrier.

Elsewhere, there's a MkIV in Lincoln, that's not going anywhere, without taking half the museum apart, a MkV in the IWM in London, you couldn't sneak that out without it being reported & filmed!

The only likely candidate is the A7V replica, from Bov.

Neil, luck doesn't come into it, any 'perks' John gets are due to all his voluntary hard work for the museum.

I envy him being able to do this as well Degsy - just wish I lived close enough to be able to volunteer there. :D:D

Must be a hell of an experience to drive a WW1 tank compared even to Johns own Valentine, let alone modern kit. :D:D

Same type, but much larger?

I believe the War Horse Tank is not full scale?? I can't get any photos to post up due to contractual obligations.

As said there was Two Tanks there for the filming at the same time, the Replica & the other one which was Guarded due to it's value & I have been informed by is an Original WW1 Tank.

I believe the War Horse Tank is not full scale?? I can't get any photos to post up due to contractual obligations.

As said there was Two Tanks there for the filming at the same time, the Replica & the other one which was Guarded due to it's value & I have been informed by is an Original WW1 Tank.

The Warhorse tank looks full scale when I saw it. I know it cost a lot to purchase so understandable that it would be guarded, it looks so original when stood by it that the layman might not know. There is a not-to-scale one around, think it was at the last Beltring.

The Warhorse tank looks full scale when I saw it. I know it cost a lot to purchase so understandable that it would be guarded, it looks so original when stood by it that the layman might not know. There is a not-to-scale one around, think it was at the last Beltring.

Ah that could be it then... the Not to scale Replica there was the Plywood one.. is the Warhorse Tank of all metal construction? It was some of the production crew who first said that one of the tanks was an original, this was also told to the Bunker staff stating that is why it had o have it's own guard..

Ah that could be it then... the Not to scale Replica there was the Plywood one.. is the Warhorse Tank of all metal construction? It was some of the production crew who first said that one of the tanks was an original, this was also told to the Bunker staff stating that is why it had o have it's own guard..

The Warhorse tank and the original are 1:1. I have a photo of the 2 together in the WW1 hall at Bov - you can't tell the tanks apart, it really is an excellent copy. I think the TMC paid £160k for the Warhorse tank, but I assume they will be getting ack there investment for filming fees, etc.

The Warhorse tank and the original are 1:1. I have a photo of the 2 together in the WW1 hall at Bov - you can't tell the tanks apart, it really is an excellent copy. I think the TMC paid £160k for the Warhorse tank, but I assume they will be getting ack there investment for filming fees, etc.

Yes it has been out filming recently it is a very good copy of a Mk4 I dont know how much the TM payed for it but it is earning its keep .

Al

Regarding brittle plate work being a serious problem with these old tanks, and the theory that the metallurgy of the plate had changed with age, making repairs problematic -

The WW1 photos of knocked-out tanks in the new Spring 2014 WINDSCREEN magazine make for interesting viewing - just see how the (then new) plate has cracked under impact from shells as opposed to deforming. Even back then it seems the plate had similar metallurgical characteristics!

Regarding brittle plate work being a serious problem with these old tanks, and the theory that the metallurgy of the plate had changed with age, making repairs problematic -

The WW1 photos of knocked-out tanks in the new Spring 2014 WINDSCREEN magazine make for interesting viewing - just see how the (then new) plate has cracked under impact from shells as opposed to deforming. Even back then it seems the plate had similar metallurgical characteristics!

Was this not a problem back then with all steel? I seem to recall a program on TV regarding how the Titanic went down and the "experts" believed part of the problem was that the steel plates where the berg hit hit split rather than vent/buckled thus exacerbating the problem??

I envy him being able to do this as well Degsy - just wish I lived close enough to be able to volunteer there. :D:D

Must be a hell of an experience to drive a WW1 tank compared even to Johns own Valentine, let alone modern kit. :D:D

Hi Artist Rifles: I think you are actually closer to Bovy than I am!

I have to say that while I do do a lot of volunteering at Bovy, I think that I am heavily in profit as driving/crewing/ maintaining tanks of all ages far more than makes up for the 360 mile round trip each time. Where else could I drive such things as Holt 75 gun tractor (not owned by Bovy), WW1 Mk V, Vickers Medium, Matilda 1, Matilda 2, Valentine I and IX, Churchill 3 AVRE, Crusader III, Tortoise, Centurion, Australian carrier, M60, M103 etc. You see my primary interest is not military per se but interesting mechanical engineering and seeing how mechanical problems were solved by truly original thinkers over the years is really what does it for me!

The Tank Museum really does get prospective volunteers who think that towards the end of their very first day of volunteering they will drive the Tiger 1. It does not quite work like that but all of the crews and drivers that operate the vehicles at Tiger day or Tankfest for example are volunteers but you need to remember, as any real tanker will tell you that there is about 100 personnel hours of maintenance for every hour of driving, more for the older vehicles or ones in poor condition so track bashing in the depths of winter come round a lot more often than driving duty!

Most volunteers in the workshop are also members of the Friends of the Tank Museum membership of which brings other benefits of course.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

Im Stijn Butaye, i live in belguim and i have build an mkiv tank with friends on my farm.

This was quit a suprise to find to this Forum, because i did not know about the perfect lady tank!! Is this one also from Peter Jackson? Does he has 3 replica mk iv tanks then?

Im making a list with al the replicas on my website

Can i use some pics from perfect lady for my website please? Is there any video of it to?

Thank you for the help!

stijn

On 2/16/2014 at 8:33 PM, Brianh said:

heres afew more pics off peter jacksons replica tanks that mike and is mates get to play with lucky boys cant wait for my next trip down there

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

this is so amazing to see! Where and when are these photo's taken please? is there more information about these tanks?

• Like 1

On 2/13/2014 at 6:19 AM, Tony B said:

There is a 'Not to scale ' replica about . It's about 4/5 ths. Looks truncated when you see it. This was shown at IMPS Combined Ops last year. That is wood and was originally built to fit on a theatre stage.

tank copy.JPG

This thing is blinking awful. I saw it at the Yorkshire Show a couple of years ago. I mentioned that it was the wrong shape and shouldn't be seen in public but the characters with it did not want to talk to me. The shame of it.......

• Like 2

I have to agree with Bob and Tony. At the anniversary of the end of WW1, as a resident of Ashford, I attended a ceremony beside the original MkIV Tank that has stood in St. George's Square since driven there in 1919. This excuse of a replica and its 'crew' were present, but luckily parked up the street a little. It has to be said it was an embarrassment and not needed with an original one present.

I was at the Gt Dorset Steam Fair last year with three pretty good replicas present and they looked the part and had no problem with them, it was something to see three together and driving.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

I have to agree with Bob and Tony. At the anniversary of the end of WW1, as a resident of Ashford, I attended a ceremony beside the original MkIV Tank that has stood in St. George's Square since driven there in 1919. This excuse of a replica and its 'crew' were present, but luckily parked up the street a little. It has to be said it was an embarrassment and not needed with an original one present.

I was at the Gt Dorset Steam Fair last year with three pretty good replicas present and they looked the part and had no problem with them, it was something to see three together and driving.

Next year we are going back again with damon

• Like 2