NEWS - Press release - P38 Crash Site Discovered.

Jack

As promised the press release is now up on the front page and was sent in by Matt Rimmer.

We are lucky enough to have Matt amongst our membership and I am sure he will be more than happy to answer any questions that we may have. - thanks Matt and great work.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for posting the press release and your kind comments.

Steve is correct,it's the rarity of the aircraft which makes this such an important find. Someone suggested it as being the aircraft equivalent of The Mary Rose.

Of the five hundred or so P-38F's built only two others survive,one is an incomplete composite,the other is "Glacier Girl" which was recovered from under the Greenland ice cap,and impressive though that aircraft undoubtedly is the rebuild to flying condition required such extensive work that the aircraft is almost a replica.

The Welsh P-38F will be conserved in original condition and as such it is unique.

Matt.

Is it still primarily in one bit or has the tide torn it to bits...?

Its a brilliant find either way

Hi Bodge,

It's basically intact and the structural integrity appears to be good. There is damage which was sustained in the crash,the guns were removed at the time and there is naturally corrosion,but it's not as bad as you would think.

N.O.S,that was the Key Bird and I understand the fire could have been avoided if the APU's fuel tank hadn't be replaced by a plastic can suspended above it from a bungee....

Matt.

It was tragic to lose the plane when they were so close after investing so much time and money . I know they were trying to beat the weather but now its gone forever :cry:

Yep, but I believe thay were planning to return, to salvage the engines before the ice melted and she went down :dunno:

Does anyone know if this documentary is available on dvd?

• 4 weeks later...