Leyland Hippo

Spudthedog

Hi everyone, I am currently looking a purchasing a Leyland Hippo. Can anyone give me the pros and cons, apart from the size, and any other tips or things to look out for?

TIA

We had one in the 1980's from Dave Crouch. I was great fun, don't change gear too quickly, it won't work.... Ours would go at 33 mph as it had single wheels. Get it bought.

Old, slow (compared to anything modern), heavy steering (compared to anything modern), difficult to manoeuvre, poor/non-existent parts support, expensive mostly unavailable tyres...what's not to like?! You can put a decent camping/living set up in the back though.

Regards,

Former AEC Matador (x3) owner!

Having said the spares are so hard to come by they have been so cheap up to recently you could afford to buy another scrapper for spares.

There are currently two restored examples for sale but the owner of one has chosen to change the external appearance so much few would consider it.

Awesome truck but buy a mk2b with single back wheels not the one with twins or had singles put on it as they are sloooooow you can make it a little quicker by turning the transfer box round and putting 12.00 /20 tyres on it that makes for an exciting drive ! Roll a cigarette between gear changes and keep her well greased they get easier to drive with use! With mine if it sat for a month or two everything used to stiffen up but got better after around 20 miles! The old 600 Leyland engine is pretty indestructible keep the oil changed and check for oil leaks. Also I do not know if any other hippos do it but both the ones I had used to jam up in the gearbox between gears and had to be towed backwards to get it out of gear. I did hundreds of miles in the ones I had and it's lovely being up high and watching the world trundle by. Also check the charging system is working as they have a mighty funny system to get juice into the batteries it's something like 24 volt lighting 12 volt charging and 6 volt starting (odd anyway). It's also worth taking the wheel nuts off and oiling the threads and keep a decent breaker bar on board I had a puncture and had to use OXY acetylene to get the nuts undone! Hope this is of help as I said they are a fabulous truck oodles of room in the back and fun to drive.

Old, slow (compared to anything modern), heavy steering (compared to anything modern), difficult to manoeuvre, poor/non-existent parts support, expensive mostly unavailable tyres...what's not to like?! You can put a decent camping/living set up in the back though.

Regards,

Former AEC Matador (x3) owner!

So - pretty much the same as Mk 1 Militants then! :):)

a friend of mine has one for sale here in Ireland ,it will take a bit of work and expense to move it back to the UK ,contact me and I can put you in touch with him

I have one I have had it for a couple of years and restored it I love it yes they are slow but are reliable if you get one make sure the the fuel injection pump is not seized or have water in them if its been sat around for ages they don't like that. The vehicles start on 24volt and lights are 12volt keep the lorry regular greased especially the clutch and water pump.none of them go fast 28 to 30 mph max you can turn the transfer box round but how often do you drive it? and you might get it to 35 to 40 mph ? there is not much different between the 2A and 2b wheels air filter that's about all. I hope this helps and the war time ones engine are E175 engine the later 50 to 60 have the 600 engine.

Hope this helps

• 9 months later...
On 9/22/2017 at 11:39 AM, Spudthedog said:

Hi everyone, I am currently looking a purchasing a Leyland Hippo. Can anyone give me the pros and cons, apart from the size, and any other tips or things to look out for?

TIA

are you still looking for a Hippo, a friend died this year and his one is now up for sale, has been dry stored after restoration, if interested, send your details and I will pass them on. Ian

• 1 year later...

Turn the Transfer Box around 180 dgrees - more difficult to stop! Will go faster but will gradually die on you on the level in top. You can actually do a very quick gear change as the vehicle has a Clutch Stop. If ANYONE reading this knows the whereabouts of WSV 794  64 YY 69 which originally had the insignia of the all seeing eye of the Guards Armoured Division and had at one time been prepared (if not sent) to Palestine please contact me on 01626 852512 as I opwned it and would like to trace it - 9th December 2019 - Richard Holladay When I had it I had a diesel tank fiited in the cargo area as I was a Bus Operator at the time and there was a specially made hatch in the canvas immediately behind the cab - I refuelled my buses from the Diesel Tank - Red Bus Services East Devon as was - Richard Holladay

On 12/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, Goldenhammerman said:

. If ANYONE reading this knows the whereabouts of WSV 794  64 YY 69 which originally had the insignia of the all seeing eye of the Guards Armoured Division and had at one time been prepared (if not sent) to Palestine please contact me on 01626 852512 as I opwned it and would like to trace it -

DVLA search Leyland WSV 794 shows the last road taxed expired in 2004,   also the last V5 issued was also in 2004 (change of owner?}   maybe its in a museum or its gone abroad

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I have a Leyland PD1 Double Decker with an E181 7.4 litre engine.  I am trying to find a set of main and big end bearings.  I beleive that they are the same as the E175 engine mentioned in relation to the Hippo above.  If anyone has any possible leads I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Paul