Power steering fluid, Leyland Martian

Hello all, my Leyland Martian steering tank states OM13 mineral oil is to be used but someone prior to my ownership has marked on it that OM33 oil is to be used, now are either of these oil types suitable for use with a more modern power steering pump - namely from a 1993 Cummins C series engine or will the more modern seals in the pump not like it ?

Cheers Chris

Hello all, my Leyland Martian steering tank states OM13 mineral oil is to be used but someone prior to my ownership has marked on it that OM33 oil is to be used, now are either of these oil types suitable for use with a more modern power steering pump - namely from a 1993 Cummins C series engine or will the more modern seals in the pump not like it ?

Cheers Chris

Chris,

OM13 and OM33 are both army designations for hydraulic oils, the number roughly translate in to ISO viscosity grades. OM33 was the general hydraulic oil in army plant, it equating to the normal 32 hydraulic oil used in civvy street. The OM13 is an exceptionally thin oil. I would suggest you use the type of oil that suits (or is specified) the pump on the Cummins engine. I do recollect the power steering on some AEC lorries had engine oil in it.