Holes in GPW tub

sirhc

After removing about half an inch of filler I've discovered loads of holes in the rear panel of my GPW tub. Some of them look too good to be bodged in later in it's life. Does anyone know what they might have been for?

Chris

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

After removing about half an inch of filler I've discovered loads of holes in the rear panel of my GPW tub. Some of them look too good to be bodged in later in it's life. Does anyone know what they might have been for?

Hi Chris

From the top, there are five pairs of twinned holes in a row for the footmans loops for canvas top. Spacing takes account of the jerrycan strap guide

either side are two angled bolt holes for the corner grab handles

either side next to the taillight aperture there are two angled holes for the reflectors. They are placed over the seam

on the RHS there are four holes for the spare wheel carrier

on the LHS there is the big hole and four bolt holes for the trailer socket

on the LHS there are four holes for the jerrycan holder

on the LHS on top edge are the four holes for the jerrycan strap guide

above the trailer socket hole there is a single hole for a bolt welded to the panel. This is for the wing nut to secure the guard cover fitted inside the tool locker to protect the trailer socket wiring

the screws along the bottom edge are correct - for wiring clips on the reverse of the panel for rear lights

I think that's it.

it looks from the holes as if the spare wheel carrier has been moved left or right slightly. Is your Jeep British, ex Airborne by any chance?

Edited by simon king

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of most of those... I am still non the wiser about the 2 large holes with the groups of smaller holes around them, one above the spare wheel carrier and the other over a bit?

It does look like the spare wheel carrier has been moved at some point. I believe this body came from Oklahoma and had a V8 fitted so needs some work at the front end too.

I could do with finding someone who's good at restoring Jeep bodies who would look at sorting this tub out for me as although I'd have a go I don't think I have the time at the moment. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I assumed you were ok with most of the holes but wasn't sure. Those series of holes do look pukka don't they but I can't for the life of me think of any jeep installations or add ons that would have needed them, suggesting they are from post war use.

Have you tried asking the question on the G503 forum? If there is an answer, someone on there will have it.

cant think of a good bodyman as I replaced the back panel on mine with PB in the garage but if you find one, let me know as there will be some MW wings and a footstep generator box to sort out soon.

Did the MWR body you used for your MW have a data plate by any chance?Have you got a photo.

Do you also have any photos of the floor showing the fixing arrangements for the operators seat at the front?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Unless your desperate to keep that back panel, I'd be tempted to just put a joes Motor Pool replacement in. It looks like the bottom edge may have rotted out too. The 2 coin sized holes with 3 holes around them are interesting as they do look well done but I've never seen them before. The one on the left would likely interfere with the jerry can so doubt its from its military service. It looks like something may have passed through the holes so are there any other odd but similar holes in any other panels?