A SAD ENDING? WW1 Memorial Stone

I've just seen something so, so sad -

In an auction of architectural stuff, there was a memorial stone to a Private, aged 24, killed in action in France on 2nd Sept 1918.

I asked the auctioneer about it, he said that very occasionally they get something like this in, where a family has died out and the property sold, and the incoming folk don't want it around the place.

It got me thinking, and I ask all of you -

If you acquired it, what would you consider to be a fitting thing to do with it?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that, Rick.

In between burning various bits of our supper :shake: (I will be in trouble...) I managed to discover he was in the Norfolk Regiment, and is buried in Red Cross Corner Cemetry, Beugny. I had no idea WGC were so well organised.

It must be a private stone from a garden - "youngest son of.....".

I couldn't see this become someone's novelty item, or recycled upside down as a paving slab, so I left a very nominal bid on it at the architectural salvage auction, with some other lots.

When I went to collect my lots this afternoon, to my surprise I found it is now my responsibility.

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought I would contact the Norfolk Regiment folk and see if they can find a place. Failing that, perhaps it should go across the channel, which will entail findng out exactly where the soldier fell.

I couldn't see this become someone's novelty item, or recycled upside down as a paving slab, so I left a very nominal bid on it at the architectural salvage auction, with some other lots.

When I went to collect my lots this afternoon, to my surprise I found it is now my responsibility.

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought I would contact the Norfolk Regiment folk and see if they can find a place. Failing that, perhaps it should go across the channel, which will entail findng out exactly where the soldier fell.

brilliant!! Well done that man. An honour to know you, and I mean it. What could have happned makes me shudder. Any help I can give, my contacts would jump at the chance to help. WE WILL REMEMBER.

No, but I'll ask the auctioneer today where the vendor lives - could then check Parish records for family name as I have the father's initials .

I told auctioner about HMVF and ideas given on what to do with it, and he was really pleased, I think it left a nasty taste in his mouth to sell it.

The idea of getting it back to the battle area somehow does seem most appropriate.

I'll add my WELL DONES, here.

I'd certainly try and get the local paper to you interested in this, as already mentioned, with Rememberance day coming up, and the fact of your trying to trace the man's details, where he fell, etc; would think it'd make a good feature;

Also, why not get in touch with Britain At War magazine,.............they may be able to help in some ways, and again, would be an interesting article for them, and their readers.

Nice One.

Andy

Your compliments are much appreciated, but I feel they are misplaced. Let me explain -

Before I joined the forum a few months ago, I would have just looked at the stone and thought 'what a shame'.

Only by reading through those topics and postings on this forum which are incidental to specific vehicles (like Battlefields, museums etc and reports of members' exploits here and abroad), have I begun to take more notice of the wider issues, like remembering those who fought for their countries.

So my actions in a way are a direct result of other peoples' input to this forum. Even things like the guys who are happy to put a dvd of their tank trip up a motorway in the post (pre HMVFTV) and simply say "make a donation to the Royal British Legion to cover costs". Which means YOU LOT are to blame for this!

Which is why I would like the forum to be involved in some way in the solution, even if only by giving it publicity.

I hope this makes sense, what I'm trying to say is that any compliments should rightfully be reflected back at the forum and its membership.

Here is a picture of the stone.

I've contacted the Royal Norfolk Regiment Museum in Norwich, who have kindly offered to try to ascertain, with help from the RNR Association, where the soldier fell. Their museum is very tight on space, so not an option.

The view of the Association regarding placement is being sought - I have suggested it might be possible to get it to France if appropriate. The Comonwealth Cemetry is in the Pas de Calais region, but this may bear no relation to where he fell.

I am wary of trying to trace any possible relatives, perhaps the fact that the stone came to auction is enough to conclude a lack of family tie for whatever reason, the aim is not to delve into personal issues. Still pondering over this one!

Will keep you posted.

On the day he died there were three major actions that took place on that day. Just have to work out where his regiment was on that day and you could have your answer.

Battle on 23-mile front; Troops of First Army, supported by tanks, break through Drocourt-Queant "Switch" line, south of Scarpe, capture Cagnicourt and Villers, encircle and take Queant by nightfall; 10,000 prisoners.

On Lys front British also gain ground, and north of Peronne, where Sailly-Sallisel and whole of St. Pierre-Vaast Wood re-taken.

General Mangin continues advance north of Soissons, captures Neuilly and Terny Sorny.

On August 15 1918, Haig refused demands from Foch that he continue the Amiens offensive, even though the attack was faltering as the troops outran their supplies and artillery, and German reserves were being moved to the sector. Instead, Haig began to plan for an offensive at Albert, which opened on August 21. The main attack was launched by the British Third Army, with the United States II Corps attached.

The second battle began on August 21 with the opening of the Battle of Bapaume to the north of the river itself. That developed into an advance which pushed the German Second Army back over a 55 kilometre front, from south of Douai to La Fère, south of Saint-Quentin, Aisne. Albert was captured in August 22. On August 26, the British First Army widened the attack by another twelve kilometers. Bapaume fell on August 29. The Australian Corps crossed the Somme River on the night of August 31, and broke the German lines at Mont St Quentin and Péronne. The British Fourth Army's commander, General Henry Rawlinson, described the Australian advances of August 31-September 4 as the greatest military achievement of the war.[1] By September 2, the Germans had been forced back to the Hindenburg Line, from which they had launched their offensive in the spring

width=640 height=495http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/775px-Western_front_1918_allied.jpg[/img]

Work in progress.... ;-)