Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Ferret) fuel tank woes

Default (Ferret) fuel tank woes

Ferrets seem to be topical at the moment so thought I'd run this past you.
    One of the Ferrets became incontinent - leaking radiator so re-cored that. Now can't get fuel from the tank. Both fuel lines blocked and only able to clear one of them with the compressor, so now emptying the tank to get both lines off and unblock'em.
    My question - and I'm not expecting any easy solution but you never know - is how to get whatever crud is in the bottom of the tank out without removing the tank (and doing the job properly, I hear you say!). Is there something I can put in the tank for a while and then drain it out? I thought off putting a compressor hose into the tank to blow stuff around and hopefully loosen most of the dross but even that would work better if there was some sort of solution in the tank to swill around.
    I vaguely remember a petrol tank reconditioning item - might have been POR8 but really can't recall - that included something to clean the tank first.....?
    Cheers
    James

2. Advertisement

Default Re: (Ferret) fuel tank woes

I had to remove the fuel tank on a Ferret we had - wasn't too bad to do in the end, certainly helps to have someone outside the vehicle to pass you tools! Ours was such a state it had to be cut open and shot blasted. I then coated it with POR15 (which comes with a cleaning solution) to prevent future issues. Unfortunately there is no easy way to clean the tank out.

What you can do is remove and clean up the banjo bolts in the bottom of the tank sides, which can be accessed through the belly plates. They are known to accumulate crud, and can be modified to pick up fuel at a slightly higher level by the addition of a short length of pipe. This helps prevent some of the tank crud being sucked into the fuel lines.
    1971 AMG MUTT M151A2

Previously owned MVs- 3x LR 101 GS, 110 V8, Chevrolet Blazer K5, HD Wolf TUM, 3x Matadors, Zil 131, Ferret Mk1, Sankey trailer, Freuhoff Tilt bed recovery trailer

Ward LaFrance crew member A&E 2010, 2012

Qualified coal-hoofing spade-waver, Bluebell Railway 2015

Thanks for the advice. Seems a good idea to increase the hight of the pickups.
    Also sounds as if the tank could be removed without too much drama so I'll have another think about that too.
    Thanks again.
    James

Here's a couple of pictures of what the inside of our fuel tank looked like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0594.jpg  

Photo0595.jpg  

1971 AMG MUTT M151A2

Previously owned MVs- 3x LR 101 GS, 110 V8, Chevrolet Blazer K5, HD Wolf TUM, 3x Matadors, Zil 131, Ferret Mk1, Sankey trailer, Freuhoff Tilt bed recovery trailer

Thumbs up Re: (Ferret) fuel tank woes

POR15 worked very well on my jeep fuel tank, not cheap but way cheaper than a new tank.
    1944 GPW restoration in progress

Lovely pictures! So I think I should try taking the tank out and doing the job properly.
    But... don't have EMERs that show how to do it, so any help is appreciated.
    I understand how it needs to come forward through the fighting compartment - no problem since it's a Mk1.
    I'm not sure how many fixing bolts I should be looking for. Can see one on both front corners but suspect there might be more?

Worked it out. Just 2 bolts at each front corner. Fair bit of mucking about to get stuff out of the way but have it in the fighting compartment. Now waiting for some young muscles to help lift it out and then I'll give it the POR 15 treatment. Certainly looks (and smells) pretty evil at present, so I'm glad that I "bit the bullet"!

I have taken the tank out on all the ferrets I have had 5 in total. the worst one had a tar like gunge all the way up the pipes and took a lot of time and air pressure to unblock it. I thought it may only have about a couple of gallons in it. It was a mad rush to find more cans it finished up with 2.5 jerrycans and tons all over me and the floor.It really irritated the skin like burning.The tank will go through the turret and is not that heavy but needs a little jiggling.once out a good clean and soak with thinners hot soapy water then jet wash final petrol wash.
    Laurence

You could still smell the tar from our tank some weeks after we drained it, and that was outdoors! Glad i wore gloves and managed not to get too much on my overalls, which also stank for weeks despite various soakings and washings...
    1971 AMG MUTT M151A2

Know what you mean about the stink!
    Took off a banjo bolt - completely blocked of course. Re the mod to increase the height of the petrol pickup, do I just jam a bit of metal pipe in the opening or should it be fixed somehow (solder, etc?). I'm thinking it might vibrate out if it isn't stuck securely.

Interestingly (surprise surprise) the fuel gauge sender is stuck on "half full". Plan to soak it +/- dismantle to try to free it up, but is it more likely to be knackered?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sender 1.jpg  

Pipe 1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information