Ferret modernization project

Codeblue

Hi all, im new here!

Im planning to modernize my ferret mk 2 to a usable/practical level. I realize some of you wont like my ideas and id love to get some discussion going :) its done 312miles on the odo

Im not a serious prepper but my goal is to have the vehicle ready for an emergency situation.

Things i have done so far:

• Replaced original 60yo tire with michelin zxl 255/100r16 tires. Runflat hoop would no longer fit as it was loose due to thinner beads on modern tires.
  • Replaced rotten muffler with stainless nonbaffled muffler
  • Oil change and fluid top ups
  • Repaired driving lights
  • Resleeved brake master
  • Full road registration for queensland

Things im thinking of doing:

Installing modern bead locks on wheels to replace the runflat feature of the rubber hoops

Replacing some or all hatches with ballistic glass

Upgrsding brakes to boosted disc breaks

Replacing b60 with carbied stroked 408 ford small block

Removing all excess interior components and installing padded trim and bucket seat.

Fabricating insulated firewall to reduce cockpit noise and heat and help safety

Installing blackout headlights and tail lights.

Turn turret into a water cannon using pressure tanks.

Edited by Codeblue

Dear Codeblue,

Could you add a location in the world in your profile, it will help others hive you pointers based on that detail, it also aids in understanding challenges faced.

Can I be the first to put my hand up for all the parts you are taking off please? Perhaps we can take that to an email discussion not on the forum please?

You are doing me a favour by taking another Ferret out f circulation and making mine more valuable as a result.

Years ago I would have lambasted you as a heretic for defacing a Ferret. Now I am more mellow and realise that freedom is just that, you are free to do with things as you wish when they are yours.

Lastly, as I am old fashioned, what is your name?

Hi all, im new here!

Im planning to modernize my ferret mk 2 to a usable/practical level. I realize some of you wont like my ideas and id love to get some discussion going :) its done 312miles on the odo

Im not a serious prepper but my goal is to have the vehicle ready for an emergency situation.

• Replaced original 60yo tire with michelin zxl 255/100r16 tires. Runflat hoop would no longer fit as it was loose due to thinner beads on modern tires.
  • Resleeved brake master

Installing modern bead locks on wheels to replace the runflat feature of the rubber hoops

Removing all excess interior components and installing padded trim and bucket seat.

Hi, I have a early MK1 33BA93 and have not touched a thing with regards to the internals. It is exactly how the last squaddie would have left it and I think its got that history of service when I'm sitting in the drivers seat. Just feels as though it's still operational. The outside has been painted up though. I know some like the full restro. showroom condition but each to their own. When it boils down to it, it's your vehicle to do as you wish but I think as for like 'Bucket Seat' and Perspex hatches, your losing the ferrets identity. I think you may get a bit of stick from the die hard's on here but as I said it's your ferret. The hard ride, noise, smell of fuel, oil and getting wet is all to do with owning a ferret, it's what makes it fun in a weird sort of way. Some might say mad but it keeps me from going mad in this day and age.

IMG_0430.jpg

It's your Ferret as a few have said. One point to bear in mind, If/When you come to sell it you may have a few problems.

People like to buy as near as original as possible.

Diana

Hi all, im new here!

• Resleeved brake master

Having played with CVRTs for a few years people said to me "you would be alright in the event of an emergency with that", but in actual fact I can't think of anything worse than an old armoured vehicle! As soon as something breaks, or you run out of fuel or have to leave the vehicle, you're stuffed! My vehicle of choice for an emergency situation would be something common and easy to find parts for, but just my opinion...

The Ferret will still have the bevel boxes which like to run out of oil, regardless of what you do with engine, transmission and brakes. Also be minded that while disc brakes may be possible to retrofit, you'll need some form of hand brake on the vehicle. Good luck with your project though, Ferrets are great fun.

I don't ever comment in such a manner on the threads of others but this 'project' makes me want to weep. What have you done to a mighty fine historic vehicle? Are you serious about ruining it further?

I think you may perhaps be on the wrong forum? But 'welcome' to it anyway and all the good advice you'll receive!

What's the number for the Ferret Rescue Centre, anyone?

I hope you reconsider and change to performing a respectful and as near authentic as is feasible restoration of your historic armoured vehicle.

I think you are just teasing us to

get some discussion going :)

The water cannon idea isn't great, one or two squirts then you'll run dry.

Saying you'll remove the B60 is giving us bouts of apoplexy over here while we reach for our smelling salts.

You old tease :D

No rescue centres in Queensland because it is "IT IS ILLEGAL TO OWN A FERRET IN QUEENSLAND OR VISIT WITH ONE" icon7.png

http://www.queenslandferrets.org.au/

I think that I may have confused four legged ferrets for four wheeled ones.

My sides hurt from laughing so much! Good to know you care about both varieties of the species! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good grief man ........... its got a Rolls Royce engine, you can't put a godamned Ford in it :-(

For disc brakes you would have been wiser to have found a Mk4 Ferret, which has discs all round and parking brakes by way of band brakes on the internal propshafts. I think the 16 inch wheels did not give enough clearance for the caliper and they used 20 inch wheels.

So are you going to still use the Wilson pre-selector gearbox and fluid flywheel? It will take a bit of engineering to match that up. Below is a photo of a Mk4 Ferret if you have never seen one:

peter_tatum_01dc31.JPG

Thanks for the responses guys.

The ferret had the perspex in the windows when i bought it. I have the old hatches which i need to recondition and then i will reinstall them. If anyone has spare rear hatch opening handles or know where to get the let me know.

I dont feel the need to restore this one since there a many others already restored. Why do we need another restored ferret?

The cost of all the missing parts wouldnt be worth the excersize. I can buy a complete and fully restored ferret for $30k if thats what i want.

Im not too fussed about resale value to be honest.

Thanks the brakes info. Perhaps a good solution is to .ake the front brakes disc. And leave the rears original to retain the handbrake.

As for rim size and clearance, im looking at either modifyi ng my rims with a headlock or getting custom rims made in 17 or 20".

If people havent seen the TOYO tires ferret- Check it out on youtube. Thats more extreme than i want to do, maybe half way in between is what i want.

I dont think the toyo ferret has lost its ferretness :)

I think a bucket seat is an important safety feature. At the moment if i try to turn a sharp corner i slide off the seat!

If its loud and uncomfortable and unsafe, itll barely get used.

In terms of an emergency situation/ bugout vehicle, i think being well protected for a short duration is better than being unprotected and having access to parts in the long term.

I have plenty of other conventional vehicles with common parts should the need arise.

I'd like to express interest in your internal fittings (my spare Ferret is missing heaps of bits) and your engine, if you do get around to changing it over. PM me if you're keen.

When I first got my Saracen, I wanted to convert it to a diesel, but I've learned to live with, and love, the B80.

Some Ferrets in British service were fitted with brake boosters, one of those would be an easy retrofit to yours. It won't give you fantastic brakes, but it will be better. Also note that the Ferret brakes are manually adjusted. If yours aren't set correctly then they will be awful.

If swapping the engine, you'll need to be wary of rev ranges - the B series redlines at 3750 RPM, which is quite low for a modern petrol engine and quite high for a diesel, making them hard to match. In all honesty though, the Ferret has reasonable power to weight, and a properly maintained B60 is very reliable. If I were going to modify a Ferret to have better performance, all I would do is fit a smallish turbo to it; with its relatively low compression ratio and slow running, it should add an extra 50hp with no stress at all, although a water to air intercooler may be needed.

Noise is always going to be a problem in the Ferret, no matter what you do to it. You're sitting between a pair of drive shafts and the shape of it puts you near the focal point of a bell shaped interior. They're surprisingly quiet on the outside and surprisingly loud inside. Padding may help, but it's hard to say. I just wear a headset. If you do fit padding, make sure that it is fire retardant and doesn't off-gas any toxic chemicals. Fire is a real threat in the Ferret.

For the seat, the early Ferret seats suck. Later ones in British service were fitted with the same seat as the Fox, and it is more comfortable and offers reasonable lumbar support. I would be very wary of a bucket seat in a Ferret, especially a Mk 2, as it will hinder you getting out in a hurry, if you need to.

For bead locks, you'll need to replace the rims, I would think. I doubt you'd find anything off the shelf to fit a Ferret, so you'll probably have to go custom, which will be pricey.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks for the response terry!

Ill research the brake boosters etc.

Ill let you know about any spare parts. I may make all my modifications reversable and just keep everything. I havent decided yet.

I thought about putting a turbo on it too. I think it would be fairly simple:) just dont know if id be happy with 180hp for the effort.

To address the rpm issue i was thinking a larger displacement engine with a limiter. Should make good power 2000-4000rpm.

Ive also got 36" tires at the moment in stead of the stock (34"?) But going even bigger would help keep the rpms down. The toyo ferret has 39" tires.

Good point about the trim fumes. And seat. I fit out of the front hatch ok so that helps.

Tomorrow ill make a few calls about custom rims.

Is there any reason a steel rim would be a negative instead of alloy?

Being able to make a safe escape to a rural property in an event of civil unrest is a nice goal. And then supply runs if needed haha

Water cannon is just for fun really

Hi

Remember, it is historic , ex Military Armored Fighting Vehicle

and maybe the main reason was to to preserve historic vehicles by selling it to the collectors

if you convert it to other purposes for example " emergency vehicle " or "riot control" etc.

with water cannon and etc DIY bullet proof windows

I´m sure You and others aussie AFV owners Get In To Very Big Troubles with Authorities

(nowadays here in EU , they are very, very suspicious / paranoiac of...)

.....especially if you then get " a brilliant idea" to make action youtube video

pekka

Being that the authorities monitor these forums ....

They look upon us collectors with suspicion. Someone getting

a vehicle for "other" purposes. Hmmmm.

However, by the time he does all those mods, it will go about 10km before the

bevel boxes and hubs suffer massive failures from torque overload.

Hi

Remember, it is historic , ex Military Armored Fighting Vehicle

and maybe the main reason was to to preserve historic vehicles by selling it to the collectors

if you convert it to other purposes for example " emergency vehicle " or "riot control" etc.

with water cannon and etc DIY bullet proof windows

I´m sure You and others aussie AFV owners Get In To Very Big Troubles with Authorities

(nowadays here in EU , they are very, very suspicious / paranoiac of...)

.....especially if you then get " a brilliant idea" to make action youtube video

pekka

However, by the time he does all those mods, it will go about 10km before the

bevel boxes and hubs suffer massive failures from torque overload.

I think the proposal was for a V8 replacement for the I6, so the torque might well go down.

In any case, who knows, he might be the one who finally drives the supplies over the edge and we could get new high-strength bevel boxes out of the deal. Think of all the effort and support for making Jeep replacement parts now.

I do think military vehicle collecting is going to be in crisis very soon as all of the older folks die off and the youngsters who can't drive a manual transmission let alone adjust drum brakes come to the fore. So as long as sufficient original vehicles and important examples are spared, I don't mind seeing people express their own uniqueness. Heck, I think a four-motor electric Ferret would be cool.

If I had a lot of money and time I might consider going out and finding a really poor specimen to play with, making sure all the original bits I took off went to another collector in need.

Originality is fine however how many vehicles in service maintained that status. Upgrades occurred during their life span and others were modified for particular projects or uses. Is the idea proposed for this Ferret that far out of the realm from what could have been done years ago in service. Then we can start on modifications taken after service whether in industry or as a civil defence role, or similar. Ex military vehicles became cranes, yard tugs, rural fire fighting units, and so the list goes on.

Should we wrap all items up in the protective cloak of originality, or allow the expression of design to come up with new uses and applications. In this sense I am talking about use of an item, not about dressing it up as a hot rod which then ( to me) becomes an impractical thing outside of a road vehicle.

Doug

I'm somewhere in between you and the all original crowd. I'm all about modernizing anything that helps it run better or makes maintenance easier. I still want it to look correct on the outside and at least survive a quick glance elsewhere. I do however support the choice to do whatever you want with your Ferret. There was a guy on ebay in the US that recently sold a Ferret with a Ford V6 and different transmission. He claimed he could do 75 mph in his.

If you do fit disk brakes to the front I'd love to see a tutorial.

ill look into it!

if anyone has links to appropriate motors please send!

It seems that Zero motorcycles made a big run of a motor and then changed to a different one, so some of those have made it out into the wild. 44 or 54HP per motor times 4 should be enough. It would be an expensive toy though by the time you buy batteries.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50367