LR rear bulkhead blanking off plates

Brains

Question

Hi All,

Quick question, but not strictly military LR related? On the bulkhead behind the seats on 90, 110 and possibly series are two oval holes blanked off with plates and gaskets. I have never seen these removed or anything in their place.

So, what are they for, why go to the expense of making the holes and then plating them up with gaskets?

Over to you!

IMG_2744.jpg

4 answers to this question

Probably for radio or winterization installation ?

Probably winterization - the radio stuff is the 24v feeds and (on a Series that comes up through the floor behind the drivers seat. then through the bulkhead to the generator control panel, and across the bulk head and through the other side to the shunt box.

I have seen comments elsewhere that it may be from the construction of the rear tub, where it would be mounted on to poles on a jig to allow rotation, for painting / access etc.

Seems to be present on series - defender as well as civvy/military...

Edited by Brains
typo

I doubt if it is for jigging fixture for assembly or painting. It is probably a military requirement & often they will rationalize on a major component for civvy use. Having said that - the "new" Solihull paint plant (contract) around the time of Defender production start went over to what is known as "body in white" - this would possibly need something with substantial 'tree hanger grapple holes' , AFAIK - this plant still no entry for civilians. Contract paint plants always are - access to some military situations is easier LoL

The Lightweight S3 GS 12 volt(ONLY) has a similar shaped 'blanking plate' located on tub floor front plate adj. the transom , (MOD parts book - with ref. to "armoured" cable(s) on FFR version), intereresting this is only on the S3 tub (but certainly present on a 1973 manuf. so not related to change of "screened" cables when control panel relocated under the tub floor) , probably a hair-split on the copper braid and terminology. . Obscure point , not many aware that the Rover 1 (S2A) tub has differences to the S3 tub , I understood this was only related to the very early seat-belts (no inverted U brackets to chassis) - however just checked a Rover 1 tub and noticed - no such blanking or hole ! Something makes me think my S2A Rover 10 has something like this , however this military tub differs in a few respects and in this area as the centre spine if for the Jerry (small for oil) can stowage instead of spare wheel. Certainly all Series civvy. don't have - does seem military related.