Bedford MW Chassis Number Photos

64EK26

Hi Clive

Here is a photo of mine

attachment.php?attachmentid=129170&stc=1

Chassis number 56358

definitely not 58358 as as this was a MWD under contract number S3512

Part of this exercise is to determine what the 0 - 9 stamping look like (so I can confirm that it is a 3), was there specific size stamp that have to be used, just like Z number markings.

Also might be able to assist MW owners as I am buliding up a database of chassis number/contract/War time reg/Postwar reg.

Cheers

Richard

image 4.jpg

From the information I have gathered the nearest to yours is shown below on Key Cards from the RLC Museum.

06YR79 Chassis 56442 - Z1612777

06YR81 Chassis 56356 - Z1612652

During their time in service a vehicle may have been allocated at least 4 different registration numbers; Original Z Number, Rebuild Z Number; Post War Number and finally a Reclassification number. Added to this is that some Chassis would be "pulled" from the production line for other "customers", so the Z numbers need not necessarily be in sequence.

Hi

Thanks for the input

Will look into Facebook...

Andy...

I had a quick look at your restoration post, I think it said that your Z number was 1642366 (is this on a rebuild plate ?) , if so it is chassis 53501 , contract S1466, post war reg 82YP73. S1466 was a contract for 1000 MWD’s placed on2.11.42 with deliveries commencing in 1943. The original Z number range would have been 5254362 to 5255361.

The next closest I have found to mine is chassis 53560 , which is an MWR on contract S3053

56356 was a MWD on contract S3512, as mine is a MWC it is probably on contract S3054 (MWC contract).

I think that at least three contracts were running at the same time S3053, S3054 and S3512

Cheers

Richard

• 2 months later...

Hi

Thanks for the photo and welcome to the forum

MWD15162 would signify it is a Bedford MW GS, being this early it would have been an aeroscreen. Your chassis number is most likely from Contract T8957.

MW’s Ox’s and OY’s have different chassis lengths

The following measurements (rounded to the nearest inch) are from the centre of the front spring hanger to the rear of the chassis

MW  - 156”

OX  - 176”

OY – 226”

On all models the distace from the centre of the front spring hanger is appx 7"

Judging by the length of your vehicle it is probably an MW with a later cab fitted

Where are you located ?

Hope this helps

51 minutes ago, landrover nick said:

Hi Ron are you sure its an o type the chassis number you posted would make it a 1940 Bedford MWD aero screen truck it was comon practice post war to fit a closed cab to replace the aero screen open cab ,have you any photos showing the position of the fuel tanks

HI THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST WHEN I FOUND IT THE PETROL TANK WAS LOOSE ON BACK FAIRLY LONG OBLONG TANK FULL OF RUST ,IT WOULD NOT FIT BETWEEN CAB AND REAR SPRING  OF SIDE ,SO I GOT FROM MR AISHE CORRECT TANK MOUNTS HAD TO SHORTEN TANK ,BUT IT WAS U/S ANYWAY .NEVER CHECKED CHASSIS No AGAINST V5  BIG MISTAKE SO NOW ITS IN MALTA AND MAY HAVE TO COME BACK

20150316_162409.jpg

54 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

Thanks for the photo and welcome to the forum

MWD15162 would signify it is a Bedford MW GS, being this early it would have been an aeroscreen. Your chassis number is most likely from Contract T8957.

MW’s Ox’s and OY’s have different chassis lengths

The following measurements (rounded to the nearest inch) are from the centre of the front spring hanger to the rear of the chassis

MW  - 156”

OX  - 176”

OY – 226”

On all models the distace from the centre of the front spring hanger is appx 7"

Judging by the length of your vehicle it is probably an MW with a later cab fitted

Where are you located ?

Hope this helps

THANKS I AM LOCATED SOUTHPORT BUT TRUCK NOW IN MALTA

The fuel tank brackets flush with the top of the chassis are another MW feature, OX and OY ones are lower by about 40mm. It seems that there has been about 7 inches chopped off the back of the chassis, and of course the towing clevis is not Bedford. No doubt related to its life as a breakdown vehicle. Still an interesting truck though.

David

Hi Keith

Thanks for sharing your photos on the forum.

The one on the beach at Dunkirk is most interesting as it shows an MW that has just been captured and retains its original Z number.  The photo below also shows traces of the original Z number

The book you publish is great and a must for any MW owners

Cheers

Richard

18 hours ago, David Herbert said:

The fuel tank brackets flush with the top of the chassis are another MW feature, OX and OY ones are lower by about 40mm. It seems that there has been about 7 inches chopped off the back of the chassis, and of course the towing clevis is not Bedford. No doubt related to its life as a breakdown vehicle. Still an interesting truck though.

David

1 hour ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi Keith

Thanks for sharing your photos on the forum.

The one on the beach at Dunkirk is most interesting as it shows an MW that has just been captured and retains its original Z number.  The photo below also shows traces of the original Z number

The book you publish is great and a must for any MW owners

Cheers

Richard

Thank you Richard for the kind words.

These original photos are from my collection of post war Bedford MW trucks and not in the book as they are post war..

Keith

bedford mw trucks post war.jpg

bedford mw trucks.jpg

bedford mw post war 1.jpg

bedford mw kb 1.jpg

morris bedford mwd.jpg

bedford mw post war.jpg

• 4 months later...

On an MW, they are on the passengers side chassis rail, between the two side step brackets, about 1.5" down from the top of the rail, stamping size is about 3/8". I think that they are on the same place on an OX. On my MW it was very difficult to see as the top part of the rail was heavily pitted by corrosion, suggest you use paint stripper to remove the paint, as many are only very lightly stamped.

Richard