London Duck tours to cease operating

Nick Johns

The Liverpool ones were taken out of service due to two problems. One was a buoyancy issue, took in water and bilge pumps not working / connected. I was working in Cammell Lairds shipyard when they were testing them in the dock. They failed!

Another had caught it's prop on an old floating tyre that took out a big hole in the lower hull. I did have lots of inside and outside pics of these when they were on the quayside at Lairds. But lost them on my old phone.

There wasn't much left of the original DUKW, even the hull had been messed about with.

The good ones are in Singapore, still got the bullet holes in them!!:wow:

The Liverpool ones were taken out of service due to two problems. One was a buoyancy issue, took in water and bilge pumps not working / connected. I was working in Cammell Lairds shipyard when they were testing them in the dock. They failed!

Another had caught it's prop on an old floating tyre that took out a big hole in the lower hull. I did have lots of inside and outside pics of these when they were on the quayside at Lairds. But lost them on my old phone.

There wasn't much left of the original DUKW, even the hull had been messed about with.

The good ones are in Singapore, still got the bullet holes in them!!:wow:

The Liverpool Duck tour Company went into bankruptcy after it had its Operators licence revoked and fined heavily for poor/inadequate maintenance standards of the vehicles following the sinking of two of their DUKW's

Edited by Nick Johns

I had a good crawl all over one of these when on holiday in NZ - Theres very little left to call them a DUKW - all transmission and drive is Japanese - the hull is converted beyond recognition as is the driving area/dashboard etc. - The very best of luck to anyone wanting to try and convert back to its in service condition ! - that aside its a sad day if they wont be on our capitals roads anymore - I never tyre of pointing them out to the kids whenever we visit London....

I hope they can either find another slipway or maybe omit the swim part of the tour until such times they can be re-instated ....

• 1 month later...