Colour comparison for Deep Bronze Greem

ArtistsRifles

Question time - which is the correct shade for Deep Bronze Green (BS381 224) as found on British Army vehicles of the Sixties, early Seventies - the one on the left of the photo or the one on the right??

attachment.php?attachmentid=129116&stc=1

Asked the same question on the RCT goup over on FaceBook and there are 12 votes for the darker Left-hand one, 16 votes for the vice one (and 4 saying both!!)

Deep Bronze Green Comparison.jpg

In my opinion all of the vehicles I have sprayed in BS 224 have been the colour on the right, but....... after 1 to 2 months they have darkened to the colour we have come to expect.

I am never happy with the result at first. But I try to leave it to darken before I worry too much.

Neil to my eyes & on my particular screen.

Right looks like DBG

Left looks like OD

I second that Clive.

Neil,

The left hand photo looks more like BS298 (British) Olive Drab ...in semi-matt. When we had vehicles in service in DBG, you will notice in a line of vehicles, the difference due to age of paint finish, if sprayed or brushed, etc. DBG is known to change tone after a while. Also it depends on what you thin the paint with and to what degree.

Of course your two photos might have been taken in different levels of light too.

I second that Clive.

Neil,

The left hand photo looks more like BS298 (British) Olive Drab ...in semi-matt. When we had vehicles in service in DBG, you will notice in a line of vehicles, the difference due to age of paint finish, if sprayed or brushed, etc. DBG is known to change tone after a while. Also it depends on what you thin the paint with and to what degree.

Of course your two photos might have been taken in different levels of light too.

Good point on the light Clive. Mine was taken in bright sunshine on Saturday, best I can say for the other is its in daylight :-) The vice one (mine) only has 1 coat of FBG over bonda primer - which might make a difference.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

I dont think either colour looks right to be honest. the left hand picture looks far too brown and the right hand one looks like BS Olive Drab, the colour of larkspur radios. Having said that trying to judge any colour by a photo on a computer is a bit of a risky business as there are so many variables in play.

PT

It is difficult to judge from photos, but assuming the vice darkens a bit once it loses its newness that would seem the better colour. I've just bought 5lts of so called DBG from fleebay, only to find it is a completely different shade to previous paint I've used. Suppose it is down to the person mixing the colour and how accurate they are eith the measuring

It is difficult to judge from photos, but assuming the vice darkens a bit once it loses its newness that would seem the better colour. I've just bought 5lts of so called DBG from fleebay, only to find it is a completely different shade to previous paint I've used. Suppose it is down to the person mixing the colour and how accurate they are eith the measuring

It's a bummer when that happens - I know one instance where what was supposedly IRR green to be more of a mint green.....

At the moment the vice has one coat of the DBG over bondaprimer so I'll give it a second coat next time I am over there and then see how it goes in the sunlight. No where near ready to paint the cab yet so no rush....