The photo is indeed out by 90 degrees. They are flower pots! Every now and again you get a CO who says, "What a good idea if ..." (Known as a Wageye). And smartening up the guardroom is a perennial favourite if he can't think of anything better. So the REME workshop have been asked to make flower pots - hence the slight over-engineering with angle iron etc! Probably painted in regimental colours to match the kerb stones - another horrible idea which I have seen implemented...

But, if it isn't that, then is it something to do with venturis?

10 68

The photo is indeed out by 90 degrees. They are flower pots! Every now and again you get a CO who says, "What a good idea if ..." (Known as a Wageye). And smartening up the guardroom is a perennial favourite if he can't think of anything better. So the REME workshop have been asked to make flower pots - hence the slight over-engineering with angle iron etc! Probably painted in regimental colours to match the kerb stones - another horrible idea which I have seen implemented...10 68

Ah well I thought the gardeners out there might come up with something along those lines, but yes REME robust engineering & in the appropriate colours was something I hadn't considered. Pleasing to the CO no doubt, but this contrivance is not such a thing.

But, if it isn't that, then is it something to do with venturis?
Not really

Hi Clive anything to do with measuring radio active fall out unless it's another of your latrine based objects:D
Not necessarily radioactive Derek, it does have a certain lavatorial flavour but sorry to disappoint its not that sort of thing this time I'm afraid.

Is it a laboratory test rig where you can pour urine through the two funnel filters and what is collected in the tube below is fit for drinking water?

Just going on similar MO themes of the past!

I don't know how you get you drinking water in Kent Richard, we don't even do that over here. So sorry to disappoint the latrine watching fraternity on here, but nothing to do with humane waste products.

If it helps, this is 1952 & the apparatus evolved from another government body.

I don't know how you get you drinking water in Kent Richard, we don't even do that over here. So sorry to disappoint the latrine watching fraternity on here, but nothing to do with humane waste products.

If it helps, this is 1952 & the apparatus evolved from another government body.

Clive to quote your comment on an earlier post, 'it does have a certain lavatorial flavour'. I took that as a clue :D

Clive to quote your comment on an earlier post, 'it does have a certain lavatorial flavour'. I took that as a clue :D

Richard I suppose "flavour" was not a very appropriate word to use in that context. What I was meaning to say was that I sympathised with Derek that it had a look of being that sort of thing, although in this instance it wasn't.