bedford ql distributor

champer

Question

My QL fire tender is finally ready for the road, I am having trouble getting the engine to behave. It is fitted with a 40RZFAIPO instead of the 35RZFAIPO and the distributor is a Lucas DVXH6A not the Lucas DVZ6A. The DVXH6A is listed for jaguar, humber, lagonda, rover and a few others but not a Bedford. The bob weights look very different to the DVZ6A according to the book of words. Anybody any ideas?

4 answers to this question

My QL fire tender is finally ready for the road, I am having trouble getting the engine to behave. It is fitted with a 40RZFAIPO instead of the 35RZFAIPO and the distributor is a Lucas DVXH6A not the Lucas DVZ6A. The DVXH6A is listed for jaguar, humber, lagonda, rover and a few others but not a Bedford. The bob weights look very different to the DVZ6A according to the book of words. Anybody any ideas?

Sorry...Not trying to p#ss on your bonfire but.....you have the wrong carb and the wrong distributor so its unlikely the engine will run as it should......

Sorry...Not trying to p#ss on your bonfire but.....you have the wrong carb and the wrong distributor so its unlikely the engine will run as it should......

Thank you for that gem, however a well known and popular way of improving performance and/or efficiency is to change the carburettor or ignition system. My guess is the carburettor has a slightly larger choke ( the hole where the petrol goes down) from 35 to 40. The distributor has the correct cam drive gear and looks physically the same, so it could be a better version being as it is used on jags and lagonda's, the only difference could be the vacuum advance and retard but it does the same job, or the dwell angle (the cam lobe profile). Anyway I will sort it out, it will run properly, I will not be beaten.

Thank you for that gem, however a well known and popular way of improving performance and/or efficiency is to change the carburettor or ignition system. My guess is the carburettor has a slightly larger choke ( the hole where the petrol goes down) from 35 to 40. The distributor has the correct cam drive gear and looks physically the same, so it could be a better version being as it is used on jags and lagonda's, the only difference could be the vacuum advance and retard but it does the same job, or the dwell angle (the cam lobe profile). Anyway I will sort it out, it will run properly, I will not be beaten.

Don't forget the centrifugal advance differs between engine types. Distributors are set up for particular engines, it is all in the assembly part number, not the type number, even the springs on the advance have different rates.

I had to work on a Bedford that was fitted with the larger carb (from an Austin 4 litre) and once I changed it back to the correct 35 version it ran a lot better

Hi once again...Sorry ..I was not being sarcastic ..just genuinely trying to point in the right direction....The Distributor Doctor may be able to convert your dizzy to correct speck ..also correct carbs and dizzies turn up on Ebay quite often...if it looks the same or was fitted to a more upmarket vehicle itdoes not necessarily follow that it will work! If you want to improve performance its often best to try and start withe the motor " as per the book " to get it running correctly to give you base line for any modifications ...anyways.. Good luck with it!:D

Edited by andy1960