chieftain, is it multifuel.

paulob1

I remember being told many years ago by a Chieftain driver that they ran best on brake fluid!

At 1000lt to fill up I would seriously doubt it has been tried:nut:.

I would stick to red diesel or stock up on fuel filters etc. But it is best surely to look after the engine and feed it with diesel.

Iain

I am sure that "multi-fuel" was to accept Civgas or Avtur as alternatives where needed not as the norm. Certainly not 100ll or any other chemical. I know of M35s and the like needing new fuel pumps etc when white spirit, thinners and other gunk has been fed through, OK maybe for a couple of miles......:undecided:

And as said, then there are the adjustments needed.

Iain

On fuelling runs in the 70's I remember RTR units taking whatever we had on board - Derv, Combat gas, Kero, Avgas for the AAC helicopters. Nothing else. And sometimes a complete mix.... Can't say as to the engine adjustment's - you'd need either a Chieftain crewman or some one attached to an MBT LAD to do that.

L60 leyland engine was designed as a multifuel engine. As with any design It is designed to give its best performance with one fuel. To use other fuels brings variables into the equasion, Cranking time, Engine life, power output variations, componant life. Fuel quality brings in more variables usually debris in the fuel tank, Primming pump, fuel filters, fuel pump and injectors, and piston damage from high speed fuel particals striking the piston comming in the opposite direction. As with most engines the best life is achived starting it up then running at constant revolutions for long periods. Base line readings for the engine were probably achieved with fuel oil. Bio fuel now being an option because of its production standard and lower cost. To achive best results with this product it is a fill up and use it now fuel, if it stands for long periods it degrades and splits back into its constituant parts so needs some form of aggitation if stored for long periods. Because the L60 has a somewhat chequered history You have to do the maths. You pays your money and takes your choice.

My only idea is to run contaminated petrol diesel mix, my 432/434 run very happily on it, and the Berliet runs on just about anything although i have only tried, old oil mixed with petrol and diesel, and contaminated petrol diesel...all have been run for the past 10 years without fault...

I guess if I dilute the mix with good levels of diesel it will be fine...thanks for the input..

One problem with using old engine oil is high Sulphur content of the oil from use, leading to component and environmental damage. Petrol and diesel mix they are both Hydrocarbons with addatives so you are just basically just altering the viscosity and flash point depending upon the mix. With the very hot internal conditions of either 423 or Chieftain I would be concious of ventilation, occupant safety and fire extinguisher availability when choosing fuels. I am not trying to preach just to show some of the potential problems. When operating an L60 engine it is prudent to collect spares as and when they become available because you know that you are going to need them, you just do not know when.

Edited by john1950
addition

Just keep an eye on the fuel lift pumps. On the FV430s they went to great lengths to oil lubricate the K60 FIP but no-one apparently thought about the lubrication of the electric lift pump if running on petrol.

Andy