no price

oats and barley

Question

11 answers to this question

Its something that I've commented on before on another thread here. It usually means the seller wants to tell you how rare it is, how few there are for sale, you will never find another one, you had better buy it, its fully restored, it has never let him down and it was used on D-Day by the paratroopers/airborne before he then tells you its twice the price of any other one on the market but its worth every penny.

The reality is usually it was painted 30 years ago, the tyres are old and cracked, it has lots missing and its not turned a wheel for years.

Its simple, if people don't price things its going to be very expensive.

Chill out - if you're interested in the trailer then make contact and start a conversation.

You don't have to mention price, but the seller will know you are at least an interested buyer, and might come back to you.

In these situations a price can often be negotiated, but only with a line of communication.

Heck, people have sometimes been able to buy stuff that wasn't even for sale, let alone had a price attached, by starting a conversation!

Hope you manage to get it! (No, it's not my trailer.....:-D)

Edited by N.O.S.

Chill out - if you're interested in the trailer then make contact and start a conversation.

You don't have to mention price, but the seller will know you are at least an interested buyer, and might come back to you.

In these situations a price can often be negotiated, but only with a line of communication.

Heck, people have sometimes been able to buy stuff that wasn't even for sale, let alone had a price attached, by starting a conversation!

Hope you manage to get it! (No, it's not my trailer.....:-D)

Couldn't agree more NOS in today's digital world some forget that you can actually talk to someone and isn't part of the fun striking the deal :dancing:?.... with the proviso that you are not just one of those strange breed wasting the sellers time by having no intention of buying at any price..... if his price is way off the market rate he will have to put up with the wasted contacts.

So don't be shy step up and have a wack at the coconut or "none for the dumb" as me old Mum used to say.

Pete

Couldn't agree more NOS in today's digital world some forget that you can actually talk to someone and isn't part of the fun striking the deal :dancing:?.... with the proviso that you are not just one of those strange breed wasting the sellers time by having no intention of buying at any price..... if his price is way off the market rate he will have to put up with the wasted contacts.

So don't be shy step up and have a wack at the coconut or "none for the dumb" as me old Mum used to say.

Pete[/QUO

i really can not see what the secret is even a rough guide would be helpful i do not want to ring people up whilst they are having dinner just to get a price. also when i advertise vehicles i would not consider leaving out the price i have nothing to hide and at least give people a guideline to what i would like to achieve there is a diamond t on milweb now i quite fancy but guess what ?

i really can not see what the secret is even a rough guide would be helpful i do not want to ring people up whilst they are having dinner just to get a price. also when i advertise vehicles i would not consider leaving out the price i have nothing to hide and at least give people a guideline to what i would like to achieve there is a diamond t on milweb now i quite fancy but guess what ?

I don't disagree with what you say and I when I sell anything I either name a 'price' or 'ONO' or 'offers over'. An add with no price I always suspect boils down to the seller trying to get best offer without actually letting on that you are in a bidding game.

If the seller dons't name the price he's got to be prepared to have the calls stands to reason as none of us are mind readers are we? just phone at a sensible time not between 1700 and 1900 and not after 2100 is my rule.

So just approach it like that, do your research first know what the going rate is for what you are buying and don't open the conversation with "how much do you want for it" because he'll name a price you'll bulk at it and there's nowhere else for either of you go after that.

Rather better to ask questions about condition, type ect to show you are not just a tyre kicker and know what you want and a bit about the subject and mean to buy at the right right price.

If you get to the viewing stage don't spend an hour telling the seller everything that's wrong and then offer a silly knock down price it just antagonizes people far better and more powerful for any subsequent dealing to say little or nothing after looking round it either offer a price and when it's rebuffed quietly and politely point out the reasons for that price or shake the mans hand thank him for his time and walk away.

Always go with hard cash in your pocket for a sensible deposit ( get a signed receipt with description of item, address and telephone number on it and photograph what you have agreed to buy easy now with phones) and do a deal with the man without being hard nosed about it.

If you can't agree be pleasant about it, thank the man for his time leave your name and telephone number and ask him to phone you if he changes his mind , I have bought a number of vehicles that way. By the way it's rather impolite to then offer him a lower price than you offered in the first place and is guaranteed to get a negative reaction it rather rubs it in that he got it wrong so just like attending an auction...... decide the price you are willing to pay with a bit of wiggle room and stick to it and some times the price is fair in which case don't waste the mans time just pay him !!.

It really is part of the fun of the chase doing the deal we are not buying a brand new car off the forecourt or a house or a kettle from Home Base remember, this is supposed to be fun and doing the deal is part of it.

Pete

Some people don't seem able to sell anything unless they think they've got one over on the buyer.

Some people don't seem able to buy anything unless they think they've got one over on the seller.

The best deal is when both buyer and seller walk away happy!

Some people don't seem able to sell anything unless they think they've got one over on the buyer.

Some people don't seem able to buy anything unless they think they've got one over on the seller.

The best deal is when both buyer and seller walk away happy!

:yay::yay::yay::hug:

Pete

Well I ALWAYS state my price, qualifying that with ONO or "firm" to let folk know how I stand. Lets face it, after the basic description of what the thing is, asking price is what you want to know next......then you can check out the detail to see whether its worth even phoning let alone viewing. For all the stuff most of us buy, there is no retail price......maybe a rather vague and ill-established market value, but other than that, price tends to be what a seller thinks he might get and some sellers are realistic and genuine people who want to secure a sale to someone really interested in their stuff, while others just want as much loot as possible.........and I tend to assume "no price" means the latter.